• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vomiting

Hey all, havent been feeling that well since decemberish when i started tapering off prednisone and taking humira. lots of D and occasional blood. most of the pain is on my lower left side. thand then e past 2 nights ive been throwing up awhile after dinner and then throwing up green bile once or twice throughout the night. anyone else have this or know what to do? Im supposed to be getting a colonoscopy at the end of april but being sick like this is gonna kill my grades.

thanks

Matt

taking humira 40 mg every 2 weeks (not sure if its working :-/ )

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes I did a month or so ago. Went to ER cause I had blood come out with the mucous and I am not a bleeder. They kept me in for 3 days had sigmoid on the last day, they thought it was Colitis. Biopsy says no, that it was a gastro bug and I have IBS (so he keeps telling me) and when I was having spasms and D and blood the spasms were making it raw and bled. If it keeps up, go to ER, because if you start to dehydrate that will make it worse. Let us know how you make out ok?

Astra

Hi Metal

Me too, vomiting something chronic, and I went to A&E, my pain was excruciating.
I was blocked and had an infection, peritonitis was mentioned too.
My gastro told me never to hesitate if there is vomiting, a sign something is wrong.
go to A&E, get it checked
xx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I think you should keep in contact with your GI in general a bit more. I can't see why they would let you continue to taper down off of Prednisone if you're passing blood and in pain. You can call the office and leave a message and they will get back to you because seeing them in person isn't always possible.

As far as vomiting, if it continues, then you should seek emergency care because as stated, there's something wrong. Even if its just food poisoning, you should still be seen because in your condition you need to stay hydrated cause you're already losing enough water with the D.

And as far as your grades, that comes second to your health. I went through grade school to grad school with crohns and whenever it became an issue and I wasn't able to go to class or complete some work due to being sick, I'd let my teachers/professors know what was happening and they would work with me because they wanted me to succeed. I would suggest that you contact them and let them know what's going on and that you may need some extra time on assignments, etc.

Good luck!

MetalCyborg said:
Hey all, havent been feeling that well since decemberish when i started tapering off prednisone and taking humira. lots of D and occasional blood. most of the pain is on my lower left side. thand then e past 2 nights ive been throwing up awhile after dinner and then throwing up green bile once or twice throughout the night. anyone else have this or know what to do? Im supposed to be getting a colonoscopy at the end of april but being sick like this is gonna kill my grades.

thanks

Matt

taking humira 40 mg every 2 weeks (not sure if its working :-/ )

Call your doctor first. But if it were me I would start taking 40 mg of prednisone only because this is my life and I have been playing this game for the past 2 1/2 years. This is what the GI will tell you to do and if you went to the ER this is what they would do they would most likely start you on an IV to hydrate you and then an IV of steroids. But as always please do nothing until you either go to the ER of speak with your doctor. I hope you get well soon.

Two years ago after having dinner I started having stomach pain and feeling very sick. About 4 hours later I started vomiting green and green D.

My wife found me on the bathroom floor and had our son take me to the ER.

It was a blockage.

Take vomiting seriously.

Hi MC, well like the other said do get it checked out and take it seriously as vomiting can indicate a blockage.

But in saying that I do understand what it is like to vomit heaps... I seem to be queen of it when Im flaring!! Lucky me. I seem to struggle everytime I eat will be halfway thru and it just starts coming back up.. also probably doesnt help that one of my main symptoms when flaring is nausea so that kinda just sets me off for the vomiting.
But again if you are vomiting green bile I think its best to get checked out asap.
Hope you get better soon mate and get in for a colonoscopy quicker.

For those that had a similar experience and ended up having an obstruction, were you still having regular bowel movements? I had a similar experience almost 2 weeks ago (see this post: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=9864) and I still have not felt great since. It really scared the crap out of me (no pun intended:) ). I have had food poisoning before, but I don't think I ever felt this sick in my life. I was literally in the bathroom for 9 hours straight, vomiting bile and green D. Since then, however, I have had a bowel movement everyday, probably even "bigger" than what I was having before (as I mentioned, my stools were thin, and still are, but I am going a lot more), but I am still nauseous after meals and have had lots of cramps just below my rib cage in the center of my abdomen. I just can't get it out of my head that something is wrong, but if it were an obstruction, I wouldn't be pooing so much, right?

Sorry, Matt, did not mean to hijack your thread, but I have been following it and it seemed like a good place to ask.

Astra

Hi Shady

I'm not sure, but when I was vomiting green bile for a full day, I also had severe diarrhea, couldn't control it, my gastro explained the blockage to me as like a cannon ball trying to fire out of a cannon, ??? like it's gotta go somewhere, either up-vomit or out-diarrhea, hope that makes sense? In the hospital, with an infection, I was still pooin as normal, and nauseous, but no vomiting,
Like I said before, my doc said never ignore vomiting, there's a reason
xxx

Last edited:
thanks for all the responses! shady no worries, i also am having somewhat normal BMs (D being normal for me). I'm going to call my doc today, and i guess he'll probably tell me to go back on pred. That means ill get lots of late night videogaming in for the next few weeks :p