• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Waiting for diagnosis

I'm new here. I've had life-long gut problems. I'm 63. My mother and father both had life-long gut problems and my mom had Celiac Disease. For most of my adult life I was constipated, then I had about 5 years of normal bowel movements, but almost daily stomach pain after eating. I was vegan for 4 years and got so I couldn't eat many types of vegetables at all without bloating and diarrhea. I started eating meat, dairy and eggs about 2 months ago, but the diarrhea persisted. I have had watery stools for 7 months. Some days I would have diarrhea 10-15 times a day. That severity comes in 2 weeks blocks, then settles down to watery stools once a day. I never have lower gut pain or blood in my stool. My doctor ordered a fecal exam that came back negative for blood, but high in WBC (it was 20-30 hpf). We are waiting for insurance approval to do a stool culture. My doctor suspects UC or Crohn's. I suspect Celiac disease since my mother had it and I don't have bleeding, mucous, cramping, weight loss or fatigue. But I don't think Celiac causes leukocytes to show up in the stool. I have a referral to a GI for upper and lower GI on Sept 7. Thank you for letting me join your forum.

Scipio

The upper and lower endoscopies should be very telling as to whether you have Crohn's or UC. How about a fecal calprotectin test? Has the doc ordered that? That test can be very useful for distinguishing between IBD and IBS.