• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Waiting for surgery Friday

...just waiting now, trying to be prepared as possible for my new stoma. Tried the practice one out they give you from the hospital and all goes well until I try to change the bag...and then I pull my "stoma" off with it. Sure that won't happen in real life though :p

Hoping nothing will go wrong and they won't have to reschedule and I'll have to wait again, that woould suck.

Packing my bags, made up an essential bag to always keep in the car and one for my handbag - scissors, bella volla bands, knickers, nappy bags, wipes, pen, spare bags, etc when I get them.

Worried that I'll need to buy loads of new clothes, as the practice bag did show through my trousers/leggings.

Just wish I could be doing more before Friday to prepare, but not sure if there is anything else I can do.

Worried I'll have to take too long off work - and I won't get paid for it all. They said 4 - 6 weeks, I hope it's more like the 4. Not sure how long it'll be before I can drive.

Feel a little sad that my body will change, I'll always look different from then on, but I know it's natural to feel a bit emotional, even with elective surgery.

I am hoping that you have an easy time with your operation, although, I guess its never easy. Don't let the stoma freak you out too much. I can tell you that in my experience, that it took about a month for me to get it down pat. Contact some of the suppliers and get samples of products after the swelling goes down. The sent me a nice carry bad, scissors, wafers, bags, mirror, various sealants, etc. They have nurses on staff as well. I went thru 3 different size wafers in one month until the swelling went down. Its a learning curve, especially when my stoma nurse was not that helpfull. The Convatec nurse was WAY more help even over the phone. Anyway, just do a ton of research before and after getting your little guy. It is sort of surreal looking down and seeing that coming out of your stomach and even see it move. LOL. I always wore longer shirts so clothing was no issue. They make short bags that can make going out with nicer clothes easier. DO NOT RUSH your healing. I was off six weeks and was still out of it when I went back to work. I worked part time for the first 2 weeks after I was back. Lucky for me that I got disability checks for both the six weeks and the part time loss. And was very blessed with parents that were able to help financially.

Thanks Superzeeman. What's a wafer? Sorry people keep mentioning them, not sure I know which bit that is of the practice ones I've been given are just a one piece pop over stoma type

Oh, I was using the two part sytem. I found that the one piece was just not for my. See, my wafer could last up to 7 days, but I liked a fresh bag every 3.5 days. Its like putting on a fresh pair on knickers as you call them. Also, if for some reason the bag got soiled on the outside, I just swapped a new one. Takes 5 seconds. If you have leakage issues, try eakin seals. they saved my sanity. I second tip that I have is for cleaning the bag after emptying. I always carried a bottle full of water when I went out in public. So, in the bathroom, I would empty, then rinse out the lower half being carefull not to soak the stoma as that washed away the eakin seals faster. Then I would take a baby wipe and clean the end if needed, fold it over and seal her up. Iwas using the press lock bags that have a type of velcro instead of a clip. Personal preference. I never had any issues with odor or nothing. Just the way I did it.

Terriernut

The wafer is the bit that adheres to your skin. A one piece is usually what they start you out with. They are fine while you are learning. (and when your stoma is shrinking)

Good luck on Friday sweet pea. We will be thinking of you! Please dont hesitate to ask questions when you need help from us, and the stoma nurses and people on your team.

:ghug:

Hi I've recently had a a op for crohns which I had a emergency stoma I had no idea even what a stoma looked liked I had no time to prepare so it was such a shock .At first I couldn't even look at it and everyone kept saying you get used to it and I thought never ever will I,eight weeks later I'm changing it talking to it touching it ,it really isn't a problem, just to go out and not panicing where the nearest toilet is, if you need any advice I can email you if u like,it really does help when someone is going through it to . hope all goes well for you xxkaren

Thanks Karen. I think I'm ok. I've had plenty of time to let it digest - must've been horrible going in like u did...plenty of time to plan for me, and to research. Approached it quite coldly and methodically. Now, I just have to wait.

Terriernut

can u not use the one piece indefinitely?
Of course you can! My particular one they started me on was a Dansac one piece with no filters. (it's my emergency go to stash actually)

Now a bag with no filters for a gassy pygmy like myself didnt work forever. Also, when I need to change my bag...I need to do it in a hurry, sometimes publicly in a showhouse bathroom. Sooooo, a two piece was what I needed. Also, burping the bag...a two piece, Shazam! Clearing the room baby! :shifty:

But everyone has their own unique preferences, and thats great! You just experiment! But dont do it too soon. Cause your new stoma baby will be shrinking, and that is a difficult time to try things. Especially when you too are learning. Give it a few weeks.

I just had my illeostomy done 2 and a half weeks ago. I was in the hospital for 10 days and I've been home about a week from the hospital. I'll be going back to work on Monday (only working 4 hour shifts this next week to start). So I'm only off work for 3 weeks. My doc said the way to tell if you're ready for work is to see if you can walk a mile... if you can, you should be able to go back to work at a lighter capacity (no lifting more than 10 pounds). I work for a police department so I have to go back on light duty.

I was able to drive as soon as I was out of the hospital-- the only real things that hold you back with driving is whether you are on narcotics or not and whether you are comfortable moving and lifting your legs. I wasn't on narcotics and I could get around just fine so I drove.

Like my doc said, as far as recovery goes your biggest enemy is going to be stamina/endurance. I get tired pretty easily still and have to take naps on some days.

As soon as you can- make sure you walk... walking is helpful for getting the bowels moving and it helps keep away the blood clots. I think getting up and walking a lot helped me to recover a little faster too because I always have better days when I've walked.

Hope some of this helps... good luck with your surgery!

Thats Katiesue that's really helpful. Hmm 10 days in hospital - may need to pack more clean knickers!

They really haven't gone into the different types of bags with me as yet, I'm assuming they will when all after. I'm sure it'll be easier to imagine them all when they show me and I get loads of the free trials too they've said. The one piece trial though was simple enough to start - assuming my real stoma doesn't fall of :p.

Hi Karen, yes I've been told permanent and total removal of large intestine.

I'm looking forward to walking, going out of the house without having to go round the block, just walking until I'm tired and ready to come back, rather than having to go to the loo and panicky.:)

Your stoma nurse will help u find the right bag ,the aftercare was brilliant just take one day at a time ,you get up and down days but that's normal,good luck xx

My Mom and Aunts are in town for a wedding and yesterday I was giving a Show-And-Tell presentation of Sideshow Bob, telling them to go ahead and touch it, etc. It was funny!

I use a one-piece and like it well enough, so have never tried a two-piece. I still use the clear bags rather than opaque, because I like to see what's going on. I also just like to watch it do its thing. :)

Last edited:
can u not use the one piece indefinitely?
I've used a one-piece for 13 years - not the same one piece!:yfaint:

I tried 2-piece systems a few times, but had more problems of leaking and even had the bag fall off the base plate in the change room of a fairly high class clothing shop. :eek2:

Worried that I'll need to buy loads of new clothes, as the practice bag did show through my trousers/leggings.
I find that, to feel totally confident (or usually not even think about it), I have either to wear trousers with a bit of gathering, pleats, etc at the waist or wear a shirt out over.

Just wish I could be doing more before Friday to prepare, but not sure if there is anything else I can do.
You seem to have done lots to prepare yourself for the stoma, now prepare your body - some exercise, good food, sleep.

Feel a little sad that my body will change, I'll always look different from then on, but I know it's natural to feel a bit emotional, even with elective surgery.
I think that many of us have had the same feelings of sadness. :ghug: