• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Wanna know how much I spend on supplies?

Nyx

I just did my taxes and totalled up all the ostomy supplies I paid for last year. This was actually a cheaper year for me because I was donated a bunch of stuff from another member on here. Also, keep in mind that this total is only for flanges, bags, and bag liners. I don't buy any of the other stuff.

Grand total: $1480.47

What irritates me, is that the government only gives $600 a year for permanent ostomies and they think that that will cover all supplies. Uh huh. Like I said, I don't even buy half the stuff some of the members on here need to survive on a daily basis.

nogutsnoglory

Right and you re-use bags for prolonged periods of time. Thank God my insurance covers it because it would be hundreds a month. That's what my Explanation of Benefits says.

Nyx

Yep...I can usually get 2 month's use out of one bag. The liners really help with that a lot. The towel rack in my bathroom is full of drying bags...lol I have 3 in there right now...lol

You're really lucky to get it that low. If you needed to use moldable rings, you would easily add another $600 to that total. And the amounts can change wildly depending on your wear time. I can't get more than 3 days right now, and I was getting 5 days average before. That almost doubles my costs. I have liners too, but I don't use them because my plumbing has a very bad habit of clogging, and those liners, along with flushable wipes, are notorious for clogging the pipes.

Adhesive removers add another $300 a year and if you have any skin problems, the amount could be another $300-600 more per year.

I just got my $300 from the government and I thought it was an early April fools gag, since $300 doesn't even cover to cost to ship these products throughout the year from my supplier.

nogutsnoglory

I'm also thinking you guys might have lower rates in Canada. We have zero government subsidy and just buying 1 months worth of bags, flanges, rings, paste is at least $300 here.

Nyx

I'm lucky that I usually get around 7 days out of one flange too. I could easily be paying more than twice what I already do.

Nyx

I also get a 20% discount at Shoppers Home Health Care off my supplies for being a valuable customer. That doesn't seem like a lot, but it really adds up.

I'm also thinking you guys might have lower rates in Canada. We have zero government subsidy and just buying 1 months worth of bags, flanges, rings, paste is at least $300 here.
I've found that Canadian pricing for supplies is MUCH more expensive vs. purchasing them from the US, but unfortunately a) our dollar sucks right now b) insurance will only cover supplies purchased in Canada.

Just to compare:

My flanges cost about CDN$50 for 5. US pricing is $27.
Pouches are CDN$50 for 10 vs. US$45 for 20.

Us North American's can all complain, because many countries pay for supplies in full or with a small fee to join an ostomy association (with full supply coverage).

I also get a 20% discount at Shoppers Home Health Care off my supplies for being a valuable customer. That doesn't seem like a lot, but it really adds up.
I found the prices at Shoppers Home Health Care to be more expensive than several online sellers, even with the 20% discount. A few other brick and mortar medical supply stores in the area also sell at crazy high prices and than offer a "discount" on top.

This is my reaction to that...

nogutsnoglory

I think my bags alone are $110ish for 20! I need to check the statement. I don't pay but I see how much they get reimbursed.

I think my bags alone are $110ish for 20! I need to check the statement. I don't pay but I see how much they get reimbursed.
At a retail store or online? I also found that if a retail store knows you'll be insured for the costs, they sell those items for MUCH more than if they know it's out of pocket. I consider that a very shady practice and have witnessed many health professionals do the same (i.e. chiropractors). It drives the cost of insurance up and only hurts the person in need of those medical supplies/services.

Thank god i live in Wales, the six drugs that i take for various things and the colostomy care bags and assortment of pastes are free, paid for through national insurance taxes.

Does the Obamacare legislation help with costs such as colostomy care equipment?

PsychoJane

I am really cheaping out on my supplies (been paying them myself since 18 so I had too and still do). I'm glad I manage reaching less than a 1000$ a year. I remember the struggles for the fistulas year, my appliance would last on average 3-4 days so it would double my costs...

I was impressed by how expensive your supply seemed to cost you so I went to check for comparables when I figured what was saving my ass in expenses: "Closed versus drainable pouches..."

I have said in previous posts that I really hate to drain my pouches with drainable pouches so I a long time ago made the switch to closed bag (but two piece clic system). Considering I use the same bag for a week (I would do the same with drainable), I am saving roughly 400$ a year of supplies (200$:20 for the drainable as opposed to 90$:30 for closed "disposable"). Flanges are ~50$/5 essentially 10$ a week cause I'm lucky enough to get 7 days out of them. All this depends on the brand also and the condition of the stoma. I guess it's worth considering when money is a limiting factor or by a matter of preference.

Without insurance, my pouches are AT THE CHEAPEST $85 for 10, so I'm not sure where you got your numbers from, VeganOstomy.

I was told what pouches I had to use - a one piece drainable. I only go a maximum of 3/4 days per bag as I find the skin around the stoma gets inflamed and itches like hell if I dont. I also have bags for my fistula - but due to my shape (and an enormous hernia), they don't fit properly. I have to use paste and half moon sticky things to try and make it leak proof but even this only works for a short period of time.

I referred to http://www.bestbuyostomy.com, but if you're in the states, there are cheaper places online. Of course, it could depend on the brand of pouch you use too.
I was quoting an online price. Just going to a pharmacy to buy them is about double the online cost.

I think we all are just going to have to agree that supplies are ridiculously expensive, sometimes even with insurance to help.

nogutsnoglory

I buy from a supplier. Maybe they are more? One store I found was also very expensive. Again, insurance covers so I don't care but if it was my money it's outrageous.

DJW

Forum Monitor
It goes up to $800 if you're on disability. Government used to pay 75%; that changed many years ago. But on the flip side. Going to the doctor and getting test doesn't cost us anything. I couldn't imagine the size of my medical expenses for the last 35 years.

I know some people complain about the NHS here in the UK, but these supplies cost us nothing as we've paid through taxes. I ring up the supplier and they send them. The bill goes to my GP

If I had to pay for my supplies I would literally be in the shit! Lol
I have a few boxes of a type that I dont use. If anyone wants them message me and I can send them on. Im in NZ so not sure on what postage would be. But can find out. Some of the prices im seeing here are ridiculous and sad!

If I had to pay for my supplies I would literally be in the shit! Lol
I have a few boxes of a type that I dont use. If anyone wants them message me and I can send them on. Im in NZ so not sure on what postage would be. But can find out. Some of the prices im seeing here are ridiculous and sad!
What's the healthcare system in NZ then, is it paid through taxes like the UK ?

Dread to think what it would cost me if I had to pay directly. As it is I can order whatever I want and make sure i have plenty of spares at any one time.

No, we have a free public system which you need to go on a waiting list for or can pay privately or through insurance and no waiting list. It works but the waiting lists can be very long. I dont pay for my bags, they get sent to me automatically. Government pays.

No, we have a free public system which you need to go on a waiting list for or can pay privately or through insurance and no waiting list. It works but the waiting lists can be very long. I dont pay for my bags, they get sent to me automatically. Government pays.
How often do you change your appliance under this system?

I was speaking to someone from France, and because their ostomates don't have to pay out of pocket for supplies, they generally wear their appliance for 1-2 days - nobody tries to go 5-7 days, like what we see in North America.

I know some people complain about the NHS here in the UK, but these supplies cost us nothing as we've paid through taxes. I ring up the supplier and they send them. The bill goes to my GP
Yeah I count myself so lucky! I change mine everyday, so I make my way through supplies pretty quickly :/ The amount you guys have to pay for something as necessary as this is disgusting.

Do these online companies take your insurance or do you have to pay up front 1st and get reimbursement? Better start breaking into the piggyou bank now...
Only local companies have offered to take the insurance directly, I do have to wait to get reimbursement from online purchases. It's a bit annoying, but it helps to order more products less frequently. :thumleft:

fuzzy butterfly

Hi all,OMG!! IM so glad I live in UK, if I had to pay for my supplies I would have been sticking a plastic carrier bag on my belly.well I say that I kind of did pay, but only because mine was a temporary ileostomy.but we have a pre, payment system for prescriptions. 104.00 pounds (GB) give me supplies all year,bags etc and meds.If it was a permanent one it would have been free. Ye the NHS can be abit of a slow creature but it sure saves a lot of money. I feel real bad for all of you who have to pay for something you may have all your life, it really is a crime :-(!!!! A tip may be send for all the free samples of anything you could use, to help cut the cost ;-)...

I feel the same mandy. I pay nothing, my stoma is permanent so I don't even pay a prescription charge. If my stoma is dirty or if I'm not sure I've stuck the bag on correctly, I just change it. I'd hate to have to be factoring in a cost. The only worry I have is the environment.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi unxmas ye I agree its bad enough worrying about your health, without added pressure of paying out for supplies n meds. Also agree about the environment one!!. Hope your doing ok :).

fuzzy butterfly

hi unxmas ye I agree its bad enough worrying about your health, without added pressure of paying out for supplies n meds. Also agree about the environment one!!. Hope your doing ok :).