• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Wanting to eat fruit again

I've been on a primarily low-residue diet for a while now, and though it served its purpose initially, I can see where it's preventing me from any further healing.

My goal is to cut out processed foods (borrowing ideas from various IBD diets) and to be able to have regular bowel movements without the help of Miralax or milk of mag. I'm almost afraid this isn't possible at this point, as the last time I tried to do this, I didn't have much success. (OK, I failed miserably.) Something I ate made me more constipated than ever, and it was something with fiber. I'm guessing it was the banana I ate. However, I've also noticed that when I drink even two of those new kind of Ensures that have 3g of fiber, I'm backed up. Ditto for this raw vegan protein mix I bought at Whole Foods. I also ate some nectarines and a mango, but they didn't seem to help.

Back when I was healthier, eating peaches, nectarines or apples usually helped me get things moving. Now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to eat. Does anyone have any experience or even secondhand knowledge of how to get out of this quagmire? I used to love eating fruits, and I'm hoping that it's possible that after eliminating some of the junk from my diet, that my body will be able to process raw foods again.

I really would appreciate some advice on this, if possible. Surely I'm not the only one who's experienced this. But that's pretty much how I feel right now. Any advice would be great (well, as long as you don't tell me to give up or anything).

Have you tried juicing the fruits or maybe blending them into smoothies? that's really all of the advice that I can give. I'm pretty good with fruits and veggies.

Actually, I just read something about ripe vs. unripe fruit, so that may have been part of my problem.

I never considered juicing fruits because I assumed it wouldn't have the same effect as eating them. But now that you mention it, I don't know why I made this assumption. I think I will try juicing first. Thanks!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I eat apples. But, make sure that the peel is cut off it first. Of course it also helps because I give the core and peel to my chickens outside while I eat the rest so none is wasted:)

Constipation is not a problem i've ever had to deal with,

the most common causes would be diet, medication and strictures, have you talked to your GI about the medication/stricture side of it?

It would be interesting to know everything you eat,
You want to 'cut out processed foods' - that's good, but "raw vegan protein mix" sounds like a crohn's nightmare!
Ensure is just sugar and water with a few low quality vitamins added in, it is not good for you.
Check out SIBO http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietitian.com/support-files/sibo-gut-healing-protocol.pdf and maybe try probiotics
try cooked peeled deseeded friuts and save the raw ones for later?

I'd recommend vegetable juice rather than fruit juice

without knowing your whole diet and present condition it would be foolish to offer advice,
having said that, often goods fats (olive oil, avocado, ghee, tallow, lard -NOT seed oil) can help, and insoluble fibre may help but not from all sources (i'm a paleo/SCD believer)
(Soluble fibre will slow you down and insoluble fibre will speed you along)
Well cooked veggies are a paleo source - zucchini, celery, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables and root vegetable skins - but avoid potato skins.
Stay away from wheat and most grain.

I can't eat much in the way of fruit, but I can eat apples if I chew them very, very thoroughly or grate them or as applesauce. I also find that I can tolerate (and enjoy) stewed plums. I actually stew quantities when they are in season, blitz, pack in small containers and freeze, so that I can have a taste of summer during winter.

Constipation is not a problem i've ever had to deal with,

the most common causes would be diet, medication and strictures, have you talked to your GI about the medication/stricture side of it?

It would be interesting to know everything you eat,
You want to 'cut out processed foods' - that's good, but "raw vegan protein mix" sounds like a crohn's nightmare!
Ensure is just sugar and water with a few low quality vitamins added in, it is not good for you.
Check out SIBO http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietitian.com/support-files/sibo-gut-healing-protocol.pdf and maybe try probiotics
try cooked peeled deseeded friuts and save the raw ones for later?

I'd recommend vegetable juice rather than fruit juice

without knowing your whole diet and present condition it would be foolish to offer advice,
having said that, often goods fats (olive oil, avocado, ghee, tallow, lard -NOT seed oil) can help, and insoluble fibre may help but not from all sources (i'm a paleo/SCD believer)
(Soluble fibre will slow you down and insoluble fibre will speed you along)
Well cooked veggies are a paleo source - zucchini, celery, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables and root vegetable skins - but avoid potato skins.
Stay away from wheat and most grain.
Thanks, Hugh. That's helpful.

Regarding strictures, that is a problem I have, which is why I'm having such difficulty. I've been looking into the SCD, but any kind of restrictive diet will take me time to ease into.

I totally understand all the problems with drinking Boost, but it's been a big staple of my diet for a while because I have a serious problem maintaining my weight, and eating a lot of solid food makes me feel horrible, even if it's the right food — I feel like I'm carrying around a large weight in my stomach, even if I've eaten just a small amount.

I'm just at a point where I really don't know how to proceed, and my doctors have been of little help.

check labels no the foods and perhaps there is a similar ingredient that triggers the constiptation...could be soy. It was suggested to me that I bake the apple slices (put cinnamon on for a little more flavor and health benefit). you can also stir fry some orange slices.. I was told heating the fruit thoroughly may reduce upset or other negative effect. Hope it helps!