• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Was I too clean as a kid?

This supports my theory that i didn't play in the mud enough. I can't post links cause im still a noob, so remove the spaces

www .physorg.com/news/2011-02-common-parasite-uncovers-key-crohn.html

Well im 55 and did play in the mud alot, they say in 3rd world countrys there is very little crohns so maybe we should eat off the floor or something,how are you doing with your crohns,are you on any meds?
Steve
Surgery July 2010
Mecapathrophine never could achieve full dose
Just started Cimzia.

Could well be true, but as they don't have the resources at the moment to find out if the level of crohns is really that much lower, we don't know for sure.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
There isn't much crohns in 3rd world countries? Perhaps, but maybe they just haven't the resources to find out.
I agree. I often wonder why Crohn's and other auto-immune diseases seem to be so much more prevalent today. Are they new? But like you said, they have probably been around, but there wasn't the resources to make the diagnosis.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Yes, there is a lesser incident of IBD in third world countries, hygiene plays a part in that. The leading theory is that because we are no longer exposed to parasites that we have the higher rate. It alsos explain hookworm therapy.
It also explains why IBD is on the rise (comparatively speaking).

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Anecdotal based upon various articles I've read regarding the incidence of IBD worldwide. I'm at work and ny my blackberry, but when I get home I'll see if I can dig up links.

To me, the evidence seems to more support the hereditary and diet side of things. Maybe high amounts of sugar and chocolate, things that used to be a huge part of my diet.