• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ways to cheer yourself up

I thought it might be worth creating a reference for when people are feeling down and want some other ideas to give themself a boost. ( rather then eating things they shouldn't perhaps)

Not sure if there is a list on here already?

My ideas are:

Go shoe shopping

Go for a walk

Take the kids to the park

Take the kids (or a friend) somewhere they have never been before

Go to the beach / lake / river

Light a fire (only if appropriate!)

Look at the stars

Read a book

Watch a movie

Any other ideas people?

Nice Post :)

I like to:

Play games on my smartphone (I just got my first smartphone a month ago! Love it!)

Go to a music instrument store and play all the beautiful guitars (I have been playing guitar for 23 years and dream of owning a Martin one day). Also, buying new strings/picks for my humble Ibanez acoustic/electric :p

Reading a good book/magazine anytime

Going to the Library, finding a comfy chair next to the periodicals section and spending the day.

Karaoke with friends/family

Sewing

I also second going to the beach/lake/river and listening to music.

-Jackie

I generally read a book - I have always loved reading and since I got my kindle there is literally no stopping me! For me, it makes me concentrate on something else and usually relaxes me enough to sleep when I'm really tired.

Shopping is also a good one but my hips never seem to be able to keep up with me!

Doing a bit of gardening usually cheers me up and helps to clear my mind. I like crafting too - mainly card making and decopatch.

valleysangel92

Staff member
This is a great idea :)

Here's what I like to do

- Sketching - whenever I feel low, I get out some paper and pencils and sketch whatever comes to mind, it helps me relax, gives me a focus and reminds me that I can still create something beautiful :)

- Cross stitching - which I can then make into cards etc for family, often means more than a shop-bought card

- Add to my blog

-Listen to my favorite music and sing along, sometimes I teach myself a section on piano

- Shopping - Usually I find shopping boring but at the moment I'm getting new clothes etc ready for University in September, so its quite fun and reminds me that I've got something to look forward to and be proud of :). Plus getting out and walking around stores is helping me build my strength back up.

When I am feeling well enough, I always go for a run or bike ride. If I am feeling really bad, I take a nice bath.

I would love to start reading, but never know which books would interest me. With a movie, you see the trailer, so you know the plot and whether it's up your street or not.

Any recommendations? I love horror/murder stories (not in a creepy way! I just like the intensity of that genre). I watch American Horror Story, so anything along those lines in the form of a book would be good.

Hi LewisS

I read SciFi / Fantasy / or 'Chick fiction' - I am a chicken who does not even like rollercoasters or anything with vampires - so sorry I can't give you any book reccomendations.

One option might be to ask at your local library as the librarians usually know their stuff!

The other option is to find a movie in your genre that was adapted from a book and read the book, or another from the same author.

I love reading too - but it is my nemesis. Once I start I have to finish. Even till 4.30 in the morning.

Maybe you could start a book thread?

Happy reading:)

Last edited:
Actually - You might like the game of thrones series of books - they are pretty gloomy and blood thirsty and intense. And you could get ahead of the TV series...

My daughter uses drawing to cheer herself up when crohns is keeping her down. She also goes on instagram to find good photos to leave positive comments on. She says it brightens others day so that cheers her up.

I would love to start reading, but never know which books would interest me. With a movie, you see the trailer, so you know the plot and whether it's up your street or not.

Any recommendations? I love horror/murder stories (not in a creepy way! I just like the intensity of that genre). I watch American Horror Story, so anything along those lines in the form of a book would be good.
If you are into horror, have you read any Stephen King? I'm not a horror fan (I'm too much of a baby and get scared easy haha). I have read one or two of his books though and had a few sleepless nights because of them! He's a good writer.

SupportiveMom - your daughter sounds like a lovely girl :) It's nice that despite her illness she wants to bring cheer to other people.

As for me, I like to read, walk, do some yoga, watch TV or a film or come on here.

Hi LewisS,

Do you have a kindle or eReader? Even if not, Kindle has a free app for computers where you can download to your computer to read kindle books from Amazon and if you look up "free kindle books" in amazon, there are a ton of free and cheap ones to start you. This includes free/cheap horror and murder stories.

For recommendations and "previews" of books-Another cool thing about Amazon and Kindle, if you get a book, it will suggest other things you may like and you can use their suggestions to discover new authors with a click of a mouse. If you have a smartphone, kindle has a free app and you can read from smartphone or ipad/tablet too. Me, I JUST now got an smartphone a month ago. Before, I was using my laptop and I have an old Kindle eReader that I still use LOL.

As for suggestions for authors, I second Stephen King. Especially his older stuff like The Shining, Christine and Misery. Lots of people like Dean Koontz as an author. I think he is alright. The SCARIEST book I ever read was The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. I had to read it only in the day time LOL. Edgar Allen Poe has great classic odd tales and Shirley Jackson is interesting- Try reading "The Lottery". Very twisted and well-written short stories IMO.

If you are going to the good ole' free library and want a screwed up psycho/thriller book, try to find Tunnelvision by R.Patrick Gates. VERY GOOD!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi LewisS

I read SciFi / Fantasy / or 'Chick fiction' - I am a chicken who does not even like rollercoasters or anything with vampires - so sorry I can't give you any book reccomendations.

One option might be to ask at your local library as the librarians usually know their stuff!

The other option is to find a movie in your genre that was adapted from a book and read the book, or another from the same author.

I love reading too - but it is my nemesis. Once I start I have to finish. Even till 4.30 in the morning.

Maybe you could start a book thread?

Happy reading:)
We already have a book thread here which might be of interest to anyone wanting to get into reading, feel free to add to it or ask about specific genres and things :).