• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight before and after colonoscopy prep?

I know this is a silly question, but has anyone ever weighed themselves before and after your colonoscopy prep? I was just curious about how much weight we generally carry around in our digestive system.

After a night of V and D, I was six pounds lighter than the morning before. I had weighed myself because I was feeling really full and bloated and I weighed 128 lbs, which is on the high side of normal for me. After everything came out, I was 122, which is a normal morning weight for me. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I was "extra filled".:wink:

I realize this isn't exactly a scientific experiment...other factors such as dehydration come into play. I was just more or less curious.

Last edited:
Cool experiment, I have wondered the same thing but never actually did it (I don't have a scale at home)... Maybe next time! :p

ha I had been wondering the same thing. I remembered to weigh myself just before I started prep for the colonoscopy I had on Monday ..... I lost about 3kg.

Is this like the ultimate Crohn's-Chick thread, or what??? Or no, that would be, "And you know the BEST PART of my RESECTION???? I lost FOUR POUNDS!!! :)

Does this Ileal Pouch make my butt look big??? :eek:

Funny topic - Just so everyone is not grossed out, I don't think all this lost weight is fecal matter. The preps also pull a lot of water out of your body to help flush the colon.
That's why they tell you to drink so much to prevent dehydration. Which I can never do...

I have a colonoscopy on Tuesday. I weigh 220 now. Can't wait to weigh myself after the prep to see what I drop!

I think I must be an oddball, I never lose that much, just a pound or two! Though it might be because I usually drop like ten or so pounds when I'm flaring...