• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight Gain on a Low Income

I'm desperate to get back to my normal weight of 62 kg. Last year I went down to 42 kg and post surgery am now at around 55 - 56 kg. I don't have too far to go yet it seems impossible. The weight just does not go on.

Any ideas how I can get a bit chunkier on a really crappy income?

Thanks in anticipation.

Costas x

I like using Extra Virgin coconut oil. I blend a tablespoon in smoothies. It adds alot of calories and its really good for inflammation. You can also add coconut milk to your diet as well if you can tolerate. I don't know where you are located, but these items can be found in Asian markets or health food stores.

You could also try the high protein/high calorie drinks that body builders use. I have a fairly low income, and needed to gain weight, and it really worked for me. You can buy it in different flavours, and either add it to smoothies/drinks, or have it on its own blended with milk. After my surgery, I started drinking it twice a day, and I put on thirty pounds in three months.

Kismet

Peanut butter is a good alternative too. I know it recently went up in price but add a little to toast in the morning or eat a peanut butter sandwhich for lunch and calories will start adding on. My son last year only gained a pound(he's 5) and the doctold me to add peanut butter

i've put on 8 kg (in 10 months) by avoiding carbohydrates and eating palio (v2.0 - no grains, no sugar, no processed foods, no seed oils (olive oil ok), moderate fruit intake, moderate hard cheeses intake and lots of Lamb and no beef)

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Please be careful with the bodybuilder shakes and protein shakes. They invariably have a lot of terrible ingredients that can cause havoc to the digestive system. There's some organic shakes out there that are much healthier and aren't full of ingredients you can't spell or pronounce.

As for peanut butter, please go for organic and raw brands if possible. Some of the common brands, the first ingredient is sugar or high fructose corn syrup. No bien.

i've put on 8 kg (in 10 months) by avoiding carbohydrates and eating palio (v2.0 - no grains, no sugar, no processed foods, no seed oils (olive oil ok), moderate fruit intake, moderate hard cheeses intake)
Wonderful! I think the paleo diet can be great for many Crohnies, especially if they eat naturally fed animal meats.