• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight gain

Hello,

My BMI has always hovered round the 17 mark my whole life. After diagnosis I went on steroids and fortisips to gain weight and I managed to gain about 5 kilos but since stopping both of those I just slowly lose it. I don’t seem to be able to maintain my weight without regular fortisips. Is this a bad thing? Can I go through life on these regularly for years in addition to a normal diet or are they supposed to be temporary?
I think I need to be consuming about 3000 calories of food each day to be able to stop them but to be honest I’ll be lucky if I hit 2000 :-(

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter could not maintain her weight without formula for several years. Now she can, but only because she got Cushing's Syndrome from many years of steroids for her arthritis.

Are you in remission eleanor_rigby?? Because if you aren't, then you will likely need the extra calories to maintain your weight.

If you are in remission, then perhaps you just need more than you are able to consume and seeing a dietician could help with figuring out where you can add calories into your diet so you can maintain your weight.

For what it's worth, in the pediatric world, kids are kept on shakes/formula even after they are done with EEN/are at a normal weight (even if they are done growing). It gives them nutrients in an easily absorbable form and there is some evidence that even supplemental formula can help you stay in remission, I believe.

How are the results after some time!? My situation is very close to yours including data. Want to lose some weight because overweight is 28. I used bmi calculator as the main tool to understand my situation and on what I should be focused. Used this amazing websites advices and little by little some results are visible. It’s too early to make some feedback but can tell that many changes are experienced. First and most important is my quality of sleep, second is that on my daily bases I really became more effective and energized. Emotionally I’m also more stable, and I like generally how I feel daily.

Last edited:
Hello, I take steroid inhalers for asthma and wonder whether these have given me my hounddog face with droopy jowls. I guess at my age, unless I have a facelift, I'm stuck with them. Actually, my weight has shot up and I don't seem to care. I know I should.
It's January so I will start cutting down and get moving like a huge, marshmallow woman. 🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩

Gaining weight is very difficult for CD patient, the trick I did when I was very skinny is to take protein shakes on daily bases.
BUT, be aware that there are many types (Whey, Egg, Etc) and nutritious benefits therefore I suggest you to ask Nutritionist to recommend the right one.
BTW they do have lacto Free in case you are lactose intolerant.

Cheers !