• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight loss

Hi,

Diagnosed with Crohns for 5years, reacted to all medications so not currently on any, had a flare up in January and put on steroids, didn’t help so was admitted and given IV steroids then discharged with tapering prednisolone. In this time I have lost 6 stone. Is this a common occurrence with Crohn’s or has anyone had similar problem?
Thanks

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes, weight loss is common, especially since when flaring the body tends not to absorb nutrients. You should keep an eye on your weight and if you keep losing make sure you let your doctors know.

my little penguin

Staff member
In kids at least
Some Gi use a semi elemental formula such as modulen in the U.K. or peptamen in the US
Since it broken down it’s easier for the intestine to absorb and can be taken orally
If there is more damage elemental formulas such as neocate jr or elecare jr are used since only a few inches of healthy intestine are needed
Gi should know of elemental formulas for adults ;)

there is some research for cced crohns exclusive diet where folks have failed meds use a combo of exclusive enteral nutrition (EEn formula only ) with a very specific diet list . Some success in adults in Israel and in the US with a few kids

any ways even if just added to eating normal Food it has helped my kiddo keep up weight and grow by drinking formula

good luck

Thank you for all your replies, my calprotectin results have come back normal as well as my blood tests except from raised plasma viscosity. I have to have more test now, anyone had similar experiences?

Hi,

Diagnosed with Crohns for 5years, reacted to all medications so not currently on any, had a flare up in January and put on steroids, didn’t help so was admitted and given IV steroids then discharged with tapering prednisolone. In this time I have lost 6 stone. Is this a common occurrence with Crohn’s or has anyone had similar problem?
Thanks
This the most common thing to begin happening I am at the same weight at 120-133lb. [Fluctuate always] from 16 to 51. THIS is my only thing about crohns I like , I CAN EAT ANYTHING AN D ALL OF IT,lol all day long Never gain a a speck of weight........So you are normal