• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weird bowel movement symptoms...Flare?

Hey guys. I had a rocky first week of January so my doc put me on Xifaxan for 20 days. I finished the course this past Wednesday. I felt good throughout while I was on it.
Last night I went out and ate more than usual, but no bad foods. Just lean meat and hard cheeses (like I always do). I went to bed at around 4am and woke up an hour later with nausea and stomach pain. I passed a small constipated piece of stool and felt somewhat better. Went back to bed.
I woke up 3 hours later (8am) with the same issue. Nausea which has gone away now, but by lower abdomen is crampy and I have had 4 more BM's, but no diarrhea. One of the BM's was sort of soft but the rest of them were smaller and a constipated type.
I don't know what this is....

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Is it possible that the Xifaxan (never heard of it) made you constipated while on it and you're just now getting the stool out that it was helping to keep in?

Edit: After doing a little google research, I've seen some people mention that it did make them constipated even though it isn't listed in the side effects.

Last edited: