• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weird Changes in ME after side effects for ankle surgery

Last week I had a horse accident and as a result I was hospitalized, was put on morphine and had surgery for the first time in my life.

Naturally, I was worried about having a bowel accident laying in my hospital bed (having on the average of 6-10 diahrea bms per day normally). I was not familiar with problems associated with morphine, a histamine releaser. Turns out it totally froze my intestinal tract.

I was not surprised that the nurses and doctors were not the least bit familiar with masotcytic enterocolitis and when I would try to explain it to them, they looked at me like I had grown two more heads on my shoulders.

In the time between my accident and surgery 28 hours, I never had colon spasms or a need to use the bathroom. I was on ativan and morphine. After surgery I realized how terribly bloated I had become. I had no urge to use the bathroom which turned into lack of appetite and a horrible feeling of gut distention. 5 days later, after I was home, I administered an enema after milk of magnesia, given 2 days earlier did not get things moving.

Today, 3 days since the enema and 1 week since my accident, my bowel movements are as close to normal as they have been in 5 years. I even drink coffee in the morning.

Why have these changes occurred? Will I stay close to normal?

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm honestly not sure. Sort of reminds me of how I've always been lactose intolerant and went years avoiding drinking milk then one day had the urge to drink some chocolate milk and nothing happened. No pain and no diarrhea. Kept drinking it and eventually my symptoms returned. I know that's not the same thing you're dealing with but it might be similar to where your body was able to heal some and may have normalized (in my case my body was able to build up lactase which helps break down lactose) for a time but it may not stay that way.

Well, its been 4 weeks since my accident and my mastocytic enterocolits has come back. Whatever the anethesia or morphine did to calm my ME, has worn off. There's nothing like racing to the bathroom one-legged on a walker.

i hope it calsm for you again. i take magnesium hydroxide coz of the large amount of opiates i take to keep things moving. i i dont i am in a lot of pain with the non movement.
It was most problem the morphone that did it.

xXx