• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weird chest cramp

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone was experienced a chest cramp on their right upper quadrant. It happens to me 2-3 times a week and the only way to make it stop is to straighten up as much as possible. The cramp seems to come most often when I am hunched over on the toilet during a BM, although I have sometimes experienced them just bending over.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.:)

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Crohns gal. I get that but only when I'm dehydrated. All my muscles cramp up. Is it possible you may have strained a muscle?

First check hydration
Second, esp if you are having diarrhea, your calcium, magnesium and/or potassium may be low, causing the cramping
Third, if you're on prednisone, it can cause cramping due to the drug-induced nutrient depletions:
(Googled prednisone nutrient depletions, got this)
Prednisone
Category
Anti-Inflammatories / Corticosteroids

Nutrient Depletion
Calcium
Folic Acid
Magnesium
Potassium
Selenium
Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Zinc

So esp when I'm taking prednisone, I empty a couple bone-up caps (bone, calcium, mineral supp can be found online or at wf, sorry, I'm not endorsing, I've just literally tried a lot of calcium carb and citrate and veal bone supps and like bone-up best) in my smoothie and take a Mg/potassium combo supplement.

When I miss the ca, Mg, k, I get crazy cramps in side intercostal rib muscles...
Hope that helps. Sending healing vibes.

Muscle cramps

When on Prednisone make sure you take calcium, have you B12 and D checked too. Long term you can suffer from muscle pain.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone was experienced a chest cramp on their right upper quadrant. It happens to me 2-3 times a week and the only way to make it stop is to straighten up as much as possible. The cramp seems to come most often when I am hunched over on the toilet during a BM, although I have sometimes experienced them just bending over.

i have been. I seemed to be getting them with little mini anxiety attacks though.

Probably the Prednisone, I'm down to 5mg/day, tapering to 2.5mg/day on Sunday. Hopefully I'll see the last of these cramps soon! I already take a multivitamin and a B vitamin supplement.

Thanks everyone! :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
In addition to what everyone else has already suggested, I'd like to add costochondritis (although I believe that causes pain more than cramps, but worth ruling out anyway) and GERD. I have severe GERD and sometimes I get weird sharp pains in my upper left chest - it feels like it's in my lung or my ribcage. I didn't realize these pains were related to my GERD until I took some antacids on a whim, and the pains almost immediately stopped. I guess it's referred heartburn pain but not really sure. At any rate, just a couple more suggestions as to what can cause chest pains like that.

Hi everyone,

Hey there - I have actually been getting the a similar pain in my chest. I just saw my Crohn's Doctor and he said that he thinks it's heartburn. So he upped my protonix. Hope you get some relief soon! :)

I have had upper left shoulder pain for the past 3 months, it is called referred pain. originated from my neck. it is strain from using PCs, part of the problem that crohns exaggerates the muscle problem due to lack of vitamins.
Not really related, if you crane your neck to look at your laptop and the pain goes away. that is the problem