• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weird feeling in Mouth.

When I was ever in the hospital for Crohn's I always had something wrong with my mouth. Hard to explain but it felt the texture of my tongue changed and everything I ate or drank had the exact same taste. I was wondering if anyone else has had this? I'm thinking it was either the Dilauded or the antibiotics I was on through IV cause I never got this through oral ways of taking those. Or maybe just another wonderful side effect of the Pred I was on. It would go away right away as soon as I got off the IV.

That's weird....I often smell skunks! Have never been able to put my finger on it.
Flagyl gives me yucky tongue/taste.

Mucosal sloughing

The mucosa sloughs off inside my mouth...not classic oral ulcers, but the lining sloughs off. This isn't connected with any of my meds, either; it started before I was on any. More recently, the center of my tongue is numb. That started before prednisone and hasn't changed three weeks into prednisone. I told the doctor and he wasn't concerned about the tongue, but did make a note about the sloughing tissue.

Metronidazole (Nidagyl) leaves an awful metallic taste in my mouth. I've just come off it after a month and slowly my taste buds are returning. I believe in Europe and the US this drug is Flagyl. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Costas

Yep CyCrohns Guy...
Metronidazole is Flagyl.
I pity you having to take it for a month, I only had 10 days... holy cow that is a nasty drug!!!!
The worst part for me was that plain water tasted horrible ( YUK!!!!) and I like water! A body need water when it is that sick.
Congrats on being done with the stuff!!!!

ameslouise

I agree - it's probably the antibiotics - what are you on?

Ive been on Flagyl for a month as well and it's hideous. Aside from not being able to enjoy an occassional glass of wine, the taste in my mouth is ridiculously disgusting. Chewing gum helps - peppermint gum also helps with the nausea I get from it. I find myself wanting to eat really salty food just to cut thru the nasty film on my tongue.

That's weird....I often smell skunks! Have never been able to put my finger on it.
Flagyl gives me yucky tongue/taste.
!!!!! I had that happen yesterday to me!!! o.o !!
and i was inside, there were no skunks around. No openings to the outdoor. I even started trying to sniff it out and couldn't find the source, thinking it might of been from our recently discovered male cat.
Then I smell it often before this. but I was always out side, so I could rationalize with myself that it was prolly a skunk around somewhere.
But my bff tried smelling it before when I was inside and she couldn't smell anything.

I've also gotten the nasty meds taste from the anitibiotic-ivs, and found a fuzzy in the back of my throat and tounge. currently I have this sweet taste.. i dont' know why. Or what med is doing it. I thought it might of been the pain meds, but now that I don't have any, it can't be them. lol. But I DO notice the taste goes away, and the same exact taste will be back after a round of meds. (take a lot at one time sometimes, so can't really wait and see what's happening). I also know potassium can leave tastes in your mouth. The IV postassium left a nice little subtle sweet taste in my mouth. But the liquid potassium over did the sweet and added a handful of salt into the sweet. (Stayed like that for a few days too- ick! .. I wanted NOTHING to do with either the sweet or the salt in any kind of food that went into my mouth after that for probably a good 2 weeks. lol)

Dallies

Dragonfly
Hiya Zal, lots of antibiotics can cause oral thrush. Could it be that? Just a thought. Let us know how you get on, thinking of you xxxx

Astra

Hiya Zal

Yeah Metronidazole gives you a metallic taste.
But the funny feeling on your tongue? is it like you've burnt it with hot coffe? and there's no feeling? I've got that, it's the Pred!

This is something I woke up with this morning, and I've only been on pred for a little over a week! What other interesting things are gonna happen to me over the next few months?

Oh well, at least it's a normal thing - I seem to have gotten really sensitive to any changes or weird feelings...paranoia anyone?

Having said that though, I actually feel much better now. I still have D and everything, but just feel a lot more awake and alert - all those vitamins are starting to kick in!