• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weird leg stuff

So, I've got a new mystery to ask everyone about!

It's happened about 5 times in the last 2-3 weeks and puzzling and really annoying me.

I get this excruciating, stabbing pain on the outside of my leg near the ankle. It happens at night mostly and lasts just a few seconds, then subsides and may happen a couple more times and then goes away.

The thing is that it is like the worst pain you can imagine. It reminds me of when I used to get the odd ear infection and there'd be moments where it felt like someone was sticking a needle in the side of my head. Or like the pain when I needed a root canal. It literally makes me yelp and takes my breath away. Yuck!

It is very unpleasant and a bit worrying. Any ideas?

Charley horse?

*Edit*
Charley horse: A cramp in a muscle in the leg, usually caused by a strain or injury. A charley horse can last anywhere from a few seconds to a quarter of an hour, and occasionally longer. It is not uncommon for one to recur repeatedly before it finally goes away.

Hmmm, I don't think that's it Nessa. It's not like a cramp feeling. I get those sometimes in my feet and they are more of a dull pain than a sharp one. This is like someone's sticking a needle in there. Feels more like a nerve?

I get this at the side of my knee - it's usually when the joint's swollen, and I've put it down to pressure on the nerve? Really flipping hurts, enough to take my breath away too. Now, has anyone got any bright ideas about what would cause excruciating back pain all of a sudden? I'm flaring, and when my gut goes, it's giving me very specific low back pain all of a sudden - what is that about? As soon as the meds kick in and my gut slows down, the back pain goes!

Hi Sparky, I notice that i get sore bits in my lower back after i've had an 'episode' of cramping and time on the loo. I expect there are nerves which connect the bowel and back in some way or at least refer pain. When I was admitted with fevers and such and had abscesses/fistula I had bad lower back pain. So, even though it was coming from my bowel, I felt it in my back. Weird eh?

As for swollen joints? I don't have this, nor any signs of arthritis (touch wood) so that is why these pains are puzzling me. Especially since it only happens when I am lying down.

That would make sense about the link between nerves in bowel and back - it was just a first for me (still amazes me after 6 years new weird things still appear!)

Had a think about your ankle - after I hit post before, it struck me that it sounds not dissimilar to the growing pains my son gets? That's due to muscle/ligament pain, rather than joint. He describes it as someone sticking something hot into his ankle/knee/hip, depending on where's bothering him - I get something similar if I've been very active, as soon as I lie down and the muscles relax I get a throbbing accompanied by intermittent very sharp pain? Heat usually helps, or have you got a willing person to sit and rub your ankles? I've spent many evenings lying in bed with my boy, rubbing whichever bit hurts while he complains about the noise my gremlins are making (his term for the noises that come from my gut - he reckons there are gremlins in there having a party :))

doesn't sound nice at all pet, you can do without anything disturbing your rest.

Just to clarify - wasn't suggesting you're going through a growth spurt :D Just thought it sounded very simiilar, and as it's muscle rather than joint it's well possible in adults, not just in enormous 10-year olds who are obviously destined to be at leat 6'6"!

Ha ha, I think I have finished growing by now! I am a massage therapist so have tried looking for trigger points and such that may be causing it but can;t seem to find anything.
Oh to have someone to rub my feet and ankles for me. The cat just isn't interested!

I swear the kid's psychic - just been up to rub his ankle! I think it's just the heat that rubbing them generates that helps tbh, I've just given him a nurofen and a wheat wrap and told him to GO TO SLEEP. Flipping school holidays, at least he'll sleep in tomorrow.

LOL at the cat - the image of a moggy stroking your ankles with his furry little paws is making me laugh :D

Shaz - does it happen while you are laying down or standing up or either? Can you distinguish between it begin muscle pain vs. bone pain?

It's only in bed except for once when I was sitting on the sofa. It's not like a muscle thing, but it doesn't feel like bone either. Feels sharp, like a nerve. Today I can kind of feel it there, like its about to spaz out but it's not hurting. It's very weird!

No tingling in your feet or anything? That is weirdness...I can't think of anything really. You aren't getting any red or raised areas where it hurts? I mean, I guess it might could be EN, but I don't remember sharp pains with mine - just big red swollen itchy bumps.

Thanks for the analysis attempts Shantel! Nope it's not a skin thing at all. Feels more deep than that. I guess I shall mention it when I make a dreaded appointment with the GI!!!

Peaches said:
I guess it might could be EN, but I don't remember sharp pains with mine - just big red swollen itchy bumps.

well, yeah for me the EN is sore, red and sometimes itchy, but at it's worst, it BURNED and was VERY painful... everytime i had to stand up and walk, the pain from the EN all over my legs was hellish.

i wouldn't describe it as 'sharp' needle like pain though... more like burning inflammatory pain and discomfort.