• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weird noises

Hi

I've been having a lot of issues with chronic diarrhea but for some reason the past two days my bowels have been incredibly noisy and I can feel movement on the lower left hand side. This is coupled with having to dash to the bathroom, but the gurgling/popping/growling has been going on all day and keeps getting louder. Is that normal?!

Thanks in advance
H

I get this all the time. It gets embarrassing. They don't sound like normal hunger rumbles either. I can also feel bubbles of gas going round my intestines, making the noise, which gets really uncomfortable (though not painful). It's worse when I need to have a bowel movement and after eating.

There are medications that are supposed to relieve trapped wind. They didn't help me, but maybe they'd work for you.

I've been living with it for years - it probably won't do you any harm (I'm assuming you're not having any other more sinister symptoms with it - no severe pain or anything?), just make you a bit uncomfortable and embarrassed at times.

Yeah I do have really bad pain and the urge to run to the bathroom immediately. Sounds gross but I have to sit on the loo for a bit to try to get the pain to abate... it is such a gnawing burning pain, that's the only way I can put it.

It gets annoying as I work in an office and if it's not that it's reflux or dashing to the loo. On the whole not the best of scenarios really. But I should thank my lucky stars I've not been through what some people on here have. It'd just be good to know how to get a handle on this.

H :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Yep, I also get that and it can get VERY loud. It's embarrassing because you have no control over when/where/how loudly it happens. I like to sometimes call it my personal lion's roar :p

I get it on both my left and right side, but I am also aware that those are the most inflamed parts of my colon based on my colonoscopy. It most often happens immediately after or not too far after I have eaten something. I can pretty much track my food as it moves through my colon and I can even see my gut rumbling and moving around a bit.

The rumbling can create bathroom urgencies for me as well. However it can also be trapped wind/gas for me that makes me feel like I have to use the bathroom badly but once I pass gas I feel fine lol. Like UnXmas it creates this bubbling sensation in your body that feels weird/uncomfortable.

You eventually learn to live with it and the embarrassing factor goes away as I have learned that everyone around me who doesn't know I have crohn's just assumes I have a rumbling stomach and am hungry.

Have you tried hebal teas ? I found that fennel tea, ginger/ lemon and peppermint tea would settle it down a bit.

I get those too! But mine can come anytime. Even when I am waking up in the morning. Mine are usually gas. But I do agree with CC! Most people just think u are hungry..lol... I dont have pain with mine. I think its just one of million wonderful things about Crohns..jk...

Heatherb,
Since you have pain associated, are you keeping a food diary? This may give you some inclination as too what might make them worse for you.
I get them something awful. I also know with some foods, they are just prompting the issue to be more than normal, so i try to avoid them.
As stated above, you just learn to live with them as time goes by, all we can do really.
Best of luck to you! Merry Christmas. -hugs-

When my intestines gurgle I think it sounds too weird for people to think I'm just hungry. Luckily it doesn't happen so often anymore. It made it a bit awkward in places like sitting through quiet lectures at uni or in church.