• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well, after ten years I might finally have a diagnosis ...

I've been having bowel problems since about 2002, including:

- Episodes of Severe diarrhea (and some bouts of constipation)
- A period of bowel incontinence (with diarrhea, urgh so horrible)
- Plenty of blood in my poop (one time I bled so much that I had to go to the ER because I passed out, and needed oxygen and fluids)
- Anal fissures.
- Lots and lots of pain, episodic.
- Bouts of extreme fatigue, often linked with episodes of bowel issues
- Permanent iron deficiency.

I didn't have a colonoscopy until 2007. It was clear. I had another one (with endoscopy) in 2009, my bowel was clear but my esophagus showed inflamation. And a polyp. I had my third colonoscopy (urgh, I hate the prep sooooo much!), and it showed gastritis. And another polyp.

I thought Crohn's was ruled out long ago. But this doctor is very thorough, so he ordered bloods. I'm always iron deficient, so it was no surprise to me that this showed up on my bloods. Now, the next step will be a pill cam.

I'm glad I'll know once and for all why I've had so many problems! I'm glad I found this forum. :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Tamgerine and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm glad that you have a GI who wants to get to the bottom of it as many people are told that they have IBS even though they have symptoms that are unrelated like blood loss. I hope it isn't Crohn's but I do hope that you get some answers soon from the pill cam and if it is Crohn's it is treatable and we're all here for you every step of the way. :ghug:

Keep us posted. :)

Thanks Jennifer :)

I, too, hope that it's not Crohn's, and if it isn't I think a lot of info about diet etc here might just help what I have.

Got to ring to book it! My best friend did my last scope and she has just learned how to use a pill cam :D the doctor she works with (my doctor) is excellent.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community.

Out of curiosity, was the blood in your stool bright red or dark like coffee grounds?

All my best to you.

Hi David!

I've seen both types of blood at different times, e.g. right before my last colonoscopy I passed a bunch of black chunks which looked like clots.