• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well. Here I am. By the Grace of God.

I was diagnosed 16 years ago at the age of 21. I was living in the South Pacific at the time as part of the Peace Corp. had to come home to the U.S. because all Vanuatu (the country I was in) had for my symptoms was aspirin. So at first the docs thought it was some virus I caught there. It took some time but they narrowed it down to Crohn's.

I'm not sure what Hell looks like in the afterlife, (if there is one), but if it's anything like the humiliation, isolation, and pain that this disease brings on someone, I sincerely wish that not even for my worst enemy.

It's hard being a survivor. I say "survivor" because there are def times that just leaving this world seems to be preferable than another bout, another flare, another misunderstanding, surgery, or upped dose of "the devil's tic tacs" (ie Prednisone).

Perhaps a major problem of mine is still trying to maintain "perfection" in spite of having Crohn's. Still carrying on to family. Friends, co workers, church goers as though I'm still strong, have my act together, they can count on me. I've concluding this doesn't help anyone. Embracing my limits is the way to best deal with them and, yes, surpass them.

Perfect is boring, anyway. So my advice to anyone out there that is still trying to be perfect is to embrace your limits and let grace come into your life. Thanks for listening....I really don't communicate like this "out there ".

It's hard being a survivor. I say "survivor" because there are def times that just leaving this world seems to be preferable than another bout, another flare, another misunderstanding, surgery, or upped dose of "the devil's tic tacs" (ie Prednisone).QUOTE]

Well said - but I have to tell you the Devil's Tic Tacs has just become my favorite all time line - thank you.