• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well, is this it?

Hi there. I am mid 40's. have had bowel issues for 25 years although more as I have aged. Mom of three, wife. Have been concerned a while about the big C, Crohns. I am an RN, so I see things that clue me in. Rently was really sick after eating peaches. I hadn't eaten them in 15 plus years because always made me sick within minutes, so I avoided them completely all that time. A few weeks ago tried a couple bites of fresh peaches, oh they tasted so good! After a few trials, I ate a couple bowls and then the drama started. Lasted over a week, about two weeks. Felt like food couldn't go down, it felt like something up around my neck wouldn't let food pass. I had no desire to eat at all, sores in my mouth, things tasted weird, abdominal pain unlike anything I had experienced before. Finally got scared and went to the ER. CT showed thickening in ileum. LAbs were fine. No fluids needed. ER doc was insistent I needed to follow up, so was primary doc. She thinks probably an ileum that resolved and gastroparesis. She wants a colonoscopy. Of course, I don't want to do the prep, go figure. I have symptoms more often than not now, likely 5/7 days. I don't eat out much or go out to eat much because many times I'm rushing to the bathroom right after eating, or before I'm even done I'm ready to explode. I'm tired all the time and I mean exhausted tired and I notice joint pain is worse during what I assume is a flare. I typically had flares sometimes every couple of weeks, one big day or several hours of being in and out of the bathroom with diarrhea, excruciating abdominal cramping and exhaustion. Now, I tend to have symptoms a bit differently. Not sudden times, just all the time. I take only two unrelated drugs regularly. I typically have diarrhea but can have constipation. And there are times I don't go for days and I have obvious gurgling and bubbling that other people can hear sitting across the room. Some nausea at times, no vomiting. Have noticed at least weekly sores in my mouth. No changes in diet other than I'm trying to avoid fibrous foods that seem to upset my gut. Also things like broccoli, cabbage, peaches, pears, apples, juices for the most part, lettuce, most beans. Anything gas producing for sure. I have had blood in my stool, intermingled with the stool, not like a hemorrhoid. And mucous lots of times. My husband gets tired of me not feeling well, um, I am tired of it too....how long do you consider a flare? How far apart are they? Are we talking several hours long, and days apart? Thoughts on my symptoms? Thanks so much for having me!

Last edited:

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm sorry you're feeling unwell but I'm glad you've found us

Your symptoms fit a number of different things, and IBD is among them, so I would say its definitely worth going to your doctor and asking about some testing to see whats going on and to see if there are any signs of inflammation.

One of the problems in diagnosing illnesses like Crohn's is that there are many other illnesses with the same kinds of symptoms, and there isn't a one size fits all pattern.

In terms of how long flares last and how frequent they are, I'm afraid this is something that really varies between individuals. For me, I was diagnosed when I was 19, I'm now 24, and in all that time I've only been in remission for a few months. At the moment I'm on infusion treatments, and I have a few decent weeks immediately after and then go down hill as the treatment gets closer. For some people, flares are almost non-stop, for others they come out of nowhere and only seem to last a few hours and then they go back to feeling "okay" but I have heard of people who get onto treatment and have long periods of remission (the longest I've heard is about 30 years).

The symptoms people experience during flares can also vary in each flare, some people get the same signs every time, but others will have no set pattern, so it can be tricky to work out what constitutes a flare up rather than a bug or something similar.

Welcome. I am sorry for all you are going through . Have you considered seeing a rheumatologist for the joint issues? Have you had your blood checked for anemia? For me,personally, sometimes a flare can last for months. Everyone is different. I hope your doctor can get some answers for you and get you well.

I definitely think you should get a colonoscopy. Yes it's 2 days of hell but then its done and you can find out what's wrong. Your symptoms are no way to live and the cause may be very treatable. As the CT scan identified inflammation in your ileum I would say it is paramount you get a colonoscopy or things may just get worse and worse.

my little penguin

Staff member
So few things
Please see a GI and an Allergist
The peaches could be a life threatening food allergy
Which can cause lots of GI distress
AND you could have something else going on GI wise as well
Testing including colonoscopy is the only way to tell
A GI can best direct your care

Symptoms
Anaphylaxis symptoms occur suddenly and can progress quickly. The early symptoms may be mild, such as a runny nose, a skin rash or a "strange feeling." These symptoms can quickly lead to more serious problems, including:

Trouble breathing
Hives or swelling
Tightness of the throat
Hoarse voice
Nausea
Vomiting
Abdominal pain
Diarrhea
Dizziness
Fainting
Low blood pressure
Rapid heart beat
Feeling of doom
Cardiac arrest
People who have had a severe allergic reaction are at risk for future reactions. Even if your first reaction is mild, future reactions might be more severe. That's why it's important to carry self-injectable epinephrine if you are at risk, and 911 should be dialed in the event of a very serious reaction.

Understanding anaphylaxis and the things that can trigger this severe allergic reaction will help you manage your condition.

From
http://acaai.org/allergies/anaphylaxis

Most food allergic reactions occur within 30 minutes to 2 hours
Past reactions are NOT. Predictive of future reactions

I actually have two boys with food allergies, one who is anaphylactic. Yes, I'm sure there is some component of allergy but that isn't where this really all started, just the recent bout costing me a mint. Lol.

This has been going on for years and years, like over 20.

Today is an awful day. I cannot tell you how exhausted I am and my joints are killing me. KILLING me. That and the recurrent sores in my mouth are really getting old. No new meds, foods, snacks, nothing. So that's not much fun either.

I'm glad to be here an appreciate your kind words and concern. I hope you all are having a good day.

I actually have two boys with food allergies, one who is anaphylactic. Yes, I'm sure there is some component of allergy but that isn't where this really all started, just the recent bout costing me a mint. Lol.

This has been going on for years and years, like over 20.

Today is an awful day. I cannot tell you how exhausted I am and my joints are killing me. KILLING me. That and the recurrent sores in my mouth are really getting old. No new meds, foods, snacks, nothing. So that's not much fun either.

I'm glad to be here an appreciate your kind words and concern. I hope you all are having a good day.
Hope you feel better soon.