• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well this stinks….Med reaction?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
So, I had a coil embolism done yesterday for a splenic artery aneurysm. Things went pretty well, stayed at the hospital about an extra hour because I almost passed out after I got up finally. I had taken a tramadol so that might’ve been the case, but my blood pressure had dropped a bit too. This morning, lying in bed I noticed I was a little bit itchy so I went to take a look and this is what I found…..

a rash/hives on both my arms and my chest down toward my belly. I did take one tramadol last night a couple of hours before going to bed. And a sleep aid. I have an email into my doctor, to see what they say as far as going to the ER or back to their office. Unfortunately, their office is an hour away. The closest ER which I really don’t like is about a 20 minute drive.

for now, I popped one Benadryl and I’m back in bed trying to relax.

57CD921E-60F1-40CE-8F05-520588E2940F.jpeg

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Well that sucks big time! Let's hope the reaction will subside and you don't have to do anything about it. Keep us posted.
Thanks- put a call in to the surgeons office, they are prescribing a prednisone pack. My mom is going to go get it for me and I’m going to take another Benadryl so hopefully I don’t scratch. Not really itchy, but once I start it’s hard to stop lol.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Benadryl and prednisone pack started (6-day taper)…..
Rash looks better, but still there’s. Will get pictures tomorrow for comparison… ugh.
Just need to figure out if it the IV contrast I had or the tramadol.

my little penguin

Staff member
The good news is they can do an in office challenge for tramadol .at an allergist office
That way you can eliminate at least one drug
Ds has had minor reactions to tramadol (rash and itchy all over )
Per allergist not considered allergic since he could tolerate one full dose
But per rheumatologist not worth ever taking again due rashes and full body itching / crawling skin
How long after the iv contrast did the rash appear ?
Ds is allergic to iv contrast . Hives appear before he is out of the mri or ct scan
So quickly
Hope the Benadryl/prednisone work quickly

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
The good news is they can do an in office challenge for tramadol .at an allergist office
That way you can eliminate at least one drug
Ds has had minor reactions to tramadol (rash and itchy all over )
Per allergist not considered allergic since he could tolerate one full dose
But per rheumatologist not worth ever taking again due rashes and full body itching / crawling skin
How long after the iv contrast did the rash appear ?
Ds is allergic to iv contrast . Hives appear before he is out of the mri or ct scan
So quickly
Hope the Benadryl/prednisone work quickly
I noticed the rash the morning after- less than 24 hours….I had 1 dose of tramadol at the hospital, a second one in the evening.
Haven’t had anything stronger than Tylenol since, the rash is still there but definitely better.
This is from about 2 pm yesterday ….

second one is from now, same arm to show the difference. I’ve taken only 1 Benadryl today, but am on the prednisone pack….

Attachments