• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well, we are back after almost 4 years

I just looked back through my forum and realized that we have had almost 4 great years of symptom-free Crohn's. My son is almost 18 and was diagnosed when he was 12.

Surgery to removed stricture at age 13 and he doubled his body weight in 1 year and has been doing great ever since. No symptoms, thriving, great labs, great scopes (last scope dr reported there was 0 signs of disease).

He has been on Remicade every 6 weeks for 5 years.

I think he is experiencing his first flare this week. He is on day 3 of diarrhea and stomach pain and I'm just waiting for the nurse's line to open up. He woke up 3 times in the middle of the night and was so upset this morning because he knows that's bad.

Is there anything you know of to ease the stomach pain? Has anyone else ever suddenly flared after being symptom free for 4 years?

Hi Jennifer -- I'm relatively new to all this and I don't have much to offer. I know how hard it is to watch your kids struggle. As you know, there are many parents on this forum and I'm sure they will have more to offer in way of experiences. I hope this is something isolated for your son, like a virus perhaps. Let us know how he is doing.

I keep googling bug vs flare - the only thing I can come up with is that a flare is likely to get worse with time no better? So, that's why I'm thinking flare. I'm praying its a bug though!! I want this to be a false alarm!

my little penguin

Staff member
Sorry your back
But typically they order
Stool samples ova /parasites
C diff
And fecal cal plus blood work
If it gets too frequent for diarrhea then inpatient for scopes quickly and iv fluids
Depending on results ...
We had mini flares 1-3 days long
And other mystery flares that last 1-2 weeks that no one knows why

Good luck
Hope it stops soon

crohnsinct

Don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out if this is a bug or a flare. Crohn's symptoms are similar to so many other things it is virtually impossible. Only time and testing will tell.

Yes, we have had mini flares. Hit them with a short course of steroids and my girls were back on track. If they didn't get back on track we adjusted dosing and interval of Remicade.

Poor kid. Poor mama. Keep us posted!

crohnsinct

Crossing right along with you!

Are they doing fecal cal also? Not that it will matter much because diff and viruses will also raise fecal cal.