• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well......

Hello all,

Just been to see my gi today to get my results from my colonoscopy. I have ulcers in the terminal ileum and the biopsies show no signs of the parasite I had. Also because there were no signs of granulomas he can't make a definite diagnosis of crohns. He is sending off my blood to tropical disease centre to confirm but he is apart sure it crohns and is starting to treat me for it. I have been prescribed prednisone and omeprazole and have to see him again in three weeks. It's not a definite but I am happy to be getting treatment in the mean time. My colonoscopy also showed chronic and acute inflamation and my albumin is low.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Okitsme

I read somewhere on here that you don't have to have granulomas to have Crohns, and that many people don't?

Can anyone else confirm this?

Best wishes for an easy journey!

Thank you. I read on the internet last night that only about 30% of crohns patients have granulomas. It is used as a definite diagnosis for crohns though.

I don't have granulomas, but have Crohn's. They are not used singularly in diagnosing Crohn's, and just support the diagnosis if there. Crohn's doesn't just have one test, one criteria for diagnosis, and often time diagnosis is made through many (sometimes countless) lab tests, colonoscopies, MRIs...etc. Hopefully the prednsione will help, but it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.