• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Wellbutrin- did it make you anxious?

Thinking of trying Wellbutrin for depression. Also some pilot studies showing influence on TNF similar to monoclonal antibodies... In any case, side effect mentioned most is anxiety. Hoping to hear experiences, did it work? Did it cause/worsen anxiety? Is the trade off worth it?

It didn't worsen mine. I became seriously depressed from Lyrica, and Wellbutrin had me right as rain within a few days. However, full disclosure: I was already on med for anxiety. Wellbutrin is well known for having the fewest/mildest side effects of the commonly prescribed antidepressants. It also has the least impact on the libido, unlike many antidepressants. My go-to resource of choice for the straight scoop on mental meds is www.crazymeds.us, after reading drugs.com and webmd.com, etc. It was a good fit for me, but it depends on the balance between seratonin/dopamine/norepinephrine your body needs. Sometimes you have to try a few before you find what works for you. Don't get discouraged if the first one doesn't work and think that none of the will. Just trust your doctor, and don't be afraid to call them to say you are having side effects. Give them time to kick in, but if the side effects are aggravating, let the doc know so they can adjust accordingly.

I forgot to mention that I have been completely off all meds for anxiety (except for the occasional pre-op Xanax) for months now, and have had no recurrence of anxiety.