• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Went to the GI today...

and I'm back of the prednisone... I've been diagnosed for almost 2 years and so far they have been unable to get me into remission, so I have been varying levels of unwell that whole time... the upsetting thing, aside from the nasty mood swings and weight gain with the prednisone, is that I have an overseas trip planned for 6 weeks time and I don't think I want to go if I'm unwell

V

Valentina

sorry to hear it Danika.. I hope you dont cancel your trip, this disease takes away enough as it is. fingers crossed you start to feel better before then.

J

Jonny

Hi Danika sorry the dreaded Pred is a nitemare ive had lots of friends on it who've hated it.I hope you make the trip and enjoy it to the max you deserve it.

Take Care

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Sorry to hear about your next adventure with pred. It hopefully will work for you though, and in no time you will be off of it.

Thanks everybody... I'm starting Infliximab infusions within the next 2 weeks also so I'll have to see what happens

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Remicade seems to really be the wonder drug for many people, and allows them to get off other meds or feel better for longer stretches of time.

Hopefully it works for you and since it is not taken that often you will be fine to go on your trip.

A

andilynn09

good luck with the pred...hope you are able to be off ic quickly, cuz we all know the fun side effects. UGH as for your trip, if you are feeling somewhat better...i would consider still going. i too had a trip scheduled after i was first diagnosed, and ended up still going because i was starting to show some improvement...i felt better that week than i have since i was diagnosed! the rest and relaxation did me wonders, if you think you can handle the travel without too much pain by then. good luck.

I'm going to go, my parents and I are supposed to go and visit my brother, I'm just worried that I won't be able to handle the pace and will slow them down

A

andilynn09

I would just let them know that you are willing to go, but at times you may have to hang back and relax if you're not feeling well. When I took my trip to the Dominican, I spent the entire time sleeping, or relaxing by the pool or beach. I, too, worried about slowing everyone else down....so when they decided they wanted to go snorkeling, I told them just to go and I would enjoy my time by the pool because i was afraid to be stuck out on the ocean on a catamaran for 4 hours. Just try to relax and enjoy yourself, and let your body dictate how much you are able to do. I"m sure the others will understand.

Kev

Hey Danika... I sympathize. I've got a prescription for a 5 month trial of Predisone on the fridge.. My GI gave it to me in case of an emergency (shes away for 6 months
on maternity leave)... and my last relapse I was tempted..., but between the horror stories I've heard on here, and the warning she gave me about the side effects, I've
decided to tuff it out without it (at least for now).. One thing I've come to believe is that this illness just thrives on emotional upset or strife. If you are anxious about the trip, that might be playing a key part. I was so looking forward to being healthy enuff to do something/anything to celebrate my last 2 birthdays that I was becoming anxious/fixated over them. Sure enuff, each one found me in a relapse.

Well, the next big event I wanted to be well enuff to participate in was nearing, but instead of fretting over my health, I adopted a more relaxed approach. Dunno if it was just coincidence, but I was able to get out & about. And that did me sooo
much good. It was kind of like taking a little break from the disease, a vacation if you will. Think perhaps we all need that from time to time. Anyway, I really pray that things turn around for you, and that you make your trip and have a great time