• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What are Glabulin (sp?) levels

what are Glabulin (sp?) levels

I take Imuran (50mg 2x/day) for the treatment of my crohns.
not the only treatment but one of the medicines I take for it.
My GI is thinking about giving me Remicade again, so he ran a bunch of
blood tests, and he said the test results came back saying
I have low Glabulin (sp?) levels? and said to refer to my family
physican about the treatment for that.

I asked St Joe Hospital lab, where I had my blood levels taken at,
what Glabulin means? and they said that means my immune system
levels are down.

If thats the case, then why didn't the GI lower my imuran dosage?

what I don't understand, is why did he refer me to my "family" physican
for this? because if my low Glabulin levels are from the imuran, then
isn't the cause of that the imuran? or not?

I am just wondering, so I know what to expect if my family physican askes me why I'm on imuran in the first place, because he don't know what imuran is for, er why I'm on it.

thanks, this has me concerned, because I've been on imuran for 3 years, with CBC's done every 2 months, and this is the first time my levels have been low.... so am I wrong is it not the imuran causing this?

It just seems silly to walk into my family doctor to get an appointment scheduled to see him, if its my imuran lowering my levels too much, because he wasn't the one who put me on it, it was my GI, and when I switched GI's when I moved, my family doc was just nice enough to keep me on it, but he don't know why I take it for, least I don't think he knows.

Last edited:

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I wonder if it was hemaglobin or Imuno-globulin?
Hemaglobin is your oxygen carrying part of your red blood cells if your not absorbing iron this would be low and you would be anemic.
Globulins are related to your immune system antibodies. It doesn't make sense that he would send you back to your family doctor. Definitely make an appointment to go to your family doctor and get to the bottom of it.

It's Immuno Globulin sometimes abbreviated Ig.

There are many different types that make up your immune system. If the doc wants to get them fixed I assume he wants you to get a referral to an Immunologist as a PC doc isn't gonna know what to do other than refer you.

I haven't read anything in the documentation of Imuran that it should cause low Ig levels but I'd be interested in learning if it does as I am going through the same issues as you with low levels.

If your serum protein found with CBC/Chem panels are normal and the Ig levels are low (I assume that is the case) then IVIG can replace IgG only, if others are low there is nothing that can be done.

If your serum protein and albumin are low then it'll be investigated why you could be leaking proteins (protein losing enteropathy).

If you have more questions I'll do my best to answer them. I'm by no means an expert (at least yet, hoping to start IVIG myself soon). But I have done a ton of research on the subject.

ok thank you so much guys :)

yeah drew I was thinking the same thing imisspopcorn was thinking, thats why I asked. I was like...what? that don't make sense lol

but your right, the lab did say Immuno Globulin, I just didn't know how to spell it. lol

I certainly suggest insisting on seeing an immunologist and not a hematologist which is some advice I didn't originally listen to. The hematologist told me no problems and the immunologist did a 180 and contradicted what the hematologist said which I've read on some immune deficiency forums is not uncommon.