• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What are the side effects Humira's Tranfusion

I am really upset today I found out I have to do Humira shots or the transfusion. I been on other Medication and nothing is helping me. It's pretty depressing. I have tried a few meds that have made me sick. I just want to feel better. thanks

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

I've never been on Humira; starting remicade soon.

Sending you my support.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS has been on humira for well over a year .
Biologics ( humira /remicade) have had far less side effects than the other immunosuppressants DS was on.
These have been the only type of meds that seem to work well for him .
It is scary at first but after a while things go to normal and life is very good.
DS started remicade at age 8 and switched to humira at age 9 due to an allergic rxn.

Good luck

Don't worry/concentrate on the side effects. we could all give you our side effects but no one patient is the same as the next. I had depression with Humira but have not found one other person that has had this.

Remicade infusions were a Godsend. I got a slight, 2-day, depression after my first Remicade infusion - then never again.

Humira did not work on my fistulas but it seemed to keep my extra-intestinal manifestations under control.

I'm taking a break from biologics, after being on them for 14 years. I've been off since February and I may ask for a med change before going back on it (I've also been on ONLY Asacol since 1999).

My child has been on both Remicade & Humira. She is currently on Humira along with other medications.

Both biologics gave her almost no side effects and has only had to deal with headaches. Her symptoms dramatically decreased when being on the biologic than when not on it. The oral meds have given her way more side effects. To chime in with what others have said, focusing on the side effects won't help you chose as most don't experience any side effects. The positive with Remicade is you know quickly if it is working. Humira can take a few months longer for some. Good luck!