• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"What are the side effects of Adalimumab"

I am 38 years old lady and diagnosed with Crohn's disease for the last 12 years..I am taking Mesacol - 800 mg twice daily, azathioprine - 100 mg, Wyselone - 15 mg, Multivitamin.

Now for the last 5 years I am on Wyselone and when I taper it to 5 mg I start passing bowel 15 times a day with profuse bleeding.Again my GI puts me on 40mg steroids. I have put on weight by 15 kg and look horrible with a moon shaped face and obese.

I am loosing self confidence because of my looks and wanted to come out of steroids.
My GI has put me on Adalimumab recently...Plz help me in understanding if it is a better alternative to Wyselone ..I am very depressed.

my little penguin

Staff member
Not familiar with the other drug
Ds is 12 and has been on humira for 4 years
It does take 3-5 months to work
But otherwise no real issues for him

Thank u for the reply ..Wyselone is basically a steroid ( Prednisolone )and I find it difficult nowadays to move around with my increased body weight.

Also I have developed high BP for the last 2 years and have to take BP control medicine as well.However my BP used to be normal or low otherwise, but due to continuous intake of steroid my BP has increased.

Have you talked with uoiur doctor about the problems with bp because of steroid use? Maybe there is an alternative he can provide.

my little penguin

Staff member
Humira is Not a steriod and does not cause the same effects as steriods
It is used to keep folks with crohns off steriods
Good luck

Prednisolone should be not be used long term. If it were me I would go on Adalimumab as a maintenance medication. They may start you on it and taper the prednisolone at the same time since it takes a while for Adalimumab to be effective, as my little penguin mention it can take 3-5 months and it is not a steroid so will not have the moon face/weight gain side effects. If you have been on prednisolone for 5 years you should also have a bone density scan to see if it has caused any osteoporosis(as it did for me)

Prednisolone should be not be used long term. If it were me I would go on Adalimumab as a maintenance medication. They may start you on it and taper the prednisolone at the same time since it takes a while for Adalimumab to be effective, as my little penguin mention it can take 3-5 months and it is not a steroid so will not have the moon face/weight gain side effects. If you have been on prednisolone for 5 years you should also have a bone density scan to see if it has caused any osteoporosis(as it did for me)
Have the bone density scan.

I've been on Humira 40mg every other week for a year before and after my 2 surgeries to get 4 feet removed and and ileostomy reversal. Since ive healed from surgery and been back on Humira it's been great in remission. Steroids long term is gonna causes so many problems. Bone thinning and bloat and change your moods heart problems the list goes on. adalimumab is an immunosuppressive med but also what many believe is the best treatment to keep the disease at bay and go into remission. Either way immunosuppressive is the way to keep it on the down low but easily adapt to it just have to be cations of certain things. Obvious things like flu season and all that get any vaccine you can flu and pneumonia are big. But all your steroid side effects will go away and the new drug after takes effect and be patient will really do wonders on you as long as you take well to it.

Thank u so much friends...I have rarely come across any one who suffers from this disease and till date cud not speak my heart out...The disease has affected my personal and professional life to quite an extent..
But time being the best healer I have learnt to live with it.