• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What are the side effects of prednisone?

Hi my name is Jessica and I was diagnosed Friday with crohns disease after x-rays ct scan scope and a colonoscopy. The dr immediately wanted me to start the prednisone steroid to bring down the inflammation because he feared I would get an obstruction. I am 26 years old and that scared me for two big reasons. One, I don't use prescription drugs ever. Not even for a simple headache. My mother and I have always been super sensitive to drugs for some reason. Maybe because we're little? (as in on the thinner side.) anyways whenever I have taken things in the past I would get chest pain and my heart would trip scaring me. Then the second thing is that I have heard forever that steroids are baaaaaad drugs, ones you never want to be put on. People keep talking about their awful side effects but I don't want to get an obstruction and then need surgery. So I'm stuck. I'm scared to take the pills and I'm scared not to take the pill. I took four yesterday per my doctor but I'm wrestling with taking them again today...I'm so anxious. This is terrible.:ybatty:

Hi Littlebit and a big warm welcome to the forum :) I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad you have found us all here. I know, it is a very scary experience getting a Crohn's diagnosis and will take some time to get your head around.
A lot of people are prescribed a steroid to try to get things under control so that a maintenance treatment can then be decided on. You should be monitored carefully by your doctor and they may start you on a low dose to see how you tolerate them. You should also be given a medical card, if you are going to be on them for some time, that you should carry with you at all times that states that you are taking steroids and the dosage.
This is a link to the Corticosteroids subforum and hopefully you will find answers to your questions:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80
If not, we're here for you. Many, many of us have been where you are now.

Thanks so much for the info.im so glad I found this site! It's just so scary I almost want to stop my research altogether because it just raises my fear and anxiety. Thank you for the kind words. They mean so much.

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but you will find a lot of support here. I've been on prednisone off and on since I was diagnosed back when I was 11. The side effects are pretty nerve racking. The side effects I noticed were "moon face", increased appetite, mood changes, and hair growth. Now this doesn't happen to everyone. It's just my experience. Everyone is different. Feel free to ask anything, people are very kind and helpful here. Best of luck to you!

Hi and sorry to hear your diagnosis. I have taken prednisone for year. Now please understand what I am about to say only happens after years of use. It can be a great help if used sparingly. I have developed avascular necrosis in my hips. Basically meaning that there is some bone marrow death that has left me hips weak.

In short term use it can cause you to gain some weight and possibly raise your blood sugar. It can also cause you to have insomnia if taken close to bed time. It can be of great help to stop a raging flare.

If you have doubt and are scared as the Dr. for an alternative medication that might have lesser side effects.

Hope you feel better soon.

The side effects of prednisone depend on the dose and length of treatment. Many people have very few side effects on a short course (a few weeks) of treatment; however, there are some who have sig side effects with even a short course. Longer treatment (months or years) does cause significant side effects and should be avoided if possible as noted by Earnellzwifey. Prednisone is usually used initially to decrease inflammation but other drugs are often started at the same time -- unfortunately it takes 2-3 months for some of these other drugs to work well. I would definitely ask your doctor what is the long term plan as prednisone is only a temporizing drug in most cases of IBD.

PsychoJane

As said, it is preferable to be avoided in term of long term treatment. For short usage, the side effects are generally quite annoying (when they happen) but subside when the treatment is ended. Like previously said, mine were mostly mood swing, moon-face effect, increase in hair, increased blood sugar. I took it long enough that it affected my skin (stretch marks) but that is really because I took it for months and in high dosage. On the long term it makes you vulnerable to infection as well.

Please, keep in mind it is not rare to see physician prescribing corticosteroid at diagnosis to reduce the inflammatory response. I think we would all prefer avoiding that drug when possible but it can give great response quickly. You may want to discuss if there are alternative for you, but most likely, they will all involve taking some sort of medication.

I started taking Prednisone about 2 weeks ago after being admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with Crohn's. Thus far I've noticed a few side effects

1) I'm really hungry. The problem with this is that I end up eating way too much and then pay for it later when things start bunching up in my intestines (bloating etc.)

2) It's had a slight impact on my mood. I find I'm more irritable and get frustrated easily. I'm generally a laid back guy, but recently, random things seem to annoy me.

3) The pain has mostly gone away (ie it's working to reduce the inflammation) :)

Little bit, others have written about the side effects, but let me just say something positive about it. Prednisone anti-inflammatory effect comes by waves, you feel it when they come. I feel so great when I feel those waves that for me it compensate the side effects I had.

Now that you have been diagnosed, you should rethink of your positions regarding medications. You have not much choices, you have inflammation right now and you have to take something to put you into remission, or else you may end up hospitalized, then you may be needing IV corticosteroids, which has more side effects than prednisone.

Last edited:
I'd stay well away from them if you can. Biggest mistake I ever made was taking prednisone. I took those horrible little tablets for quite a while (on the advice of my doctor) and I ended up having to have a full hip replacement at 32! (i'm 35 now). It's ok now (hip is fine, but it's never the same as the real thing!). Doctor said that hip joint was degraded over time due to steriod use. I now don't take any medication for my crohns whatsoever as I've been put off for life! I've had a colonoscopy last week, and I have a stricture, but I've said that they need to either dialate it, or resection it (I've had a hemicolonectomy, and a resection already.