• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What are the side effects of Remicade and Imuron

So recently this year I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis. After many trials of Mesalamine suppositories, rectal enemas, and Lialda my doctor finally realized these treatments were useless. Luckily, I changed to a different doctor when I turned 18. His opinion is that since I struggle with mouth ulcers, bloody/mucus stool, and a strange rash all over my body, I have Crohns disease. He decided that since this disease is so apparent in my family, I need to be treated with the most aggressive medicine. He is putting me on Remicade and 150mg of Imuron. He told me these medicines can give certain people an allergic reaction or bad side effects. He also said these medications are immunosuppresants. This makes me extremely nervous because I live at college and I am so worried I will get really sick. I would like to know as many people's opinions on these two drugs and how they worked for them. I am so new to the bowel disease world so to speak, and I just want to be as informed as possible.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds was placed on remicade at age 8.( second grade )
And is now 11 ( sixth grade ) where he is on humira plus mtx
The risk of infection is not for common things like a cold or cough.
Ds did not get any sicker he was actually healthier than my other kiddo
The docs just watch closely when he gets a fever without knowing the reason
Strep throat and other kiddo illnesses no problem.
He does get a flu shot every year since the flu complications ( tag along things like pneumonia can be an issue. -he also has asthma )

Remicade was a miracle drug for him
He did have two reactions to remicade
Both were mild but Ds has multiple drug food and insect allergies so not a good example.