• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What are you eating right now?

farm

Captain Insaneo
With people here all over the world I though it would be neat to see what you are eating right now.

I'm eating Salmon cakes with a glass of milk.

You are eating that at 10:30 at night Farmie???? Oy!! (my new overused phrase dern it!!!). I'm eating nothing - as it would go straight to my arse at this time of night!!

I am now eating a banana and it is decidedly average :(

I must stop drinking coffee. I hardly ever have it tho I like it and now I know why. I feel like I could jump outta my skin!!!! And it was only instant!!!

I'm about to try poached eggs on toast. A bit nervous since my insides haven't been too happy the past couple of days :( But I am weak with the hunger!!!

I've just finished a breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, yoghurt, a banana, and a Twix (I know I shouldn't eat the last one but I really love Twix :)))

farm

Captain Insaneo
Nytefyre said:
Chick Fil A sandwich and a coke! Oh yeah, and a smile:)
LOL, that's great!

I had a steak, egg, and cheese biscuit. And I dipped it in gravy.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Sausage McMuffin....Coffee lots of sugar and cream....diet coke....Breakfast of champions! Well, fat champions, who can't sleep at night.

Homemade Cheese and Marmite bread (2 slices) - toasted with butter and a glass of Elderflower and white grape juice. MMMMmmmmm........

I just had a plain noodle soup... or the broth at least. Boring, but when you get sent home from work for puking, you gotta take it easy.

well its dinnertime for me and I am alone tonight so Its a Steak, baked potato and wax beans!

I should be putting this in the "I swear I will never eat again" thread but I could not help myself. I did fish three nights in a row for dinner already :p

These days, I start the day by cooking organic sushi rice.
That is the base for many of my meals.

Today I shredded a few organic carrots, fried it in organic virgin coconut oil, added organic wheat-free tamari soy sauce, then mixed it into the rice. Then chopped up a couple of onions, added some sea salt and freshly gound pepper, fried those with tamari soy sauce, and added to rice. Then minced up a half handful of pickled ginger and added to rice. It was surprisingly tasteful considering its simplicity.

Yesterday I roasted a free range chicken and used the breasts to make a sweet and sour chicken fried rice, which included fried onions, local unpasteurized honey, organic apple cider vinegar, garlic, organic ketchup, organic wheat-free tamari soy sauce, seasalt, and pepper. Again, quite tasty.

This white sushi rice is my saviour.

Presently, I am heating up the organic virgin coconut oil.
I scored some fresh haddock today, which were, just a day or two ago,
swimming contently along the Georges Banks. I'm dusting them with
organic, locally harvested and milled whole flour, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Because of the flour, they will be savored by my family and not me; I'm happy to do it, it's a labour of love.

I saved one fillet for myself; maybe I'll poach it in f***ing water. ;-)

hehe yea I get tired of poaching my fish too. But it really does seem to make a difference.

I think I am going to have a safe, complete banana for desert myself :D Bah there goes that immage :(

Here goes......and this is going to be repeated on FB Farmish - sorry!

Ribeye steak with whiskey cream sauce, roasted carrots in sage butter orange sauce and homemade onion rings with some pretty good pomegranate wine (it was toooo die for!!). Dessert was a bit of what I made for my daughter (cuz I just didn't have room for my own serving!) - pan buttered warm vanilla pound cake with whole sugared strawberries and whipped cream. I got an A+ from the family, now I know what I have to do - make really unhealthy stuff :O( :O)

I don't mean to be critical, but I see some unwise dietary choices
here. Of course, I'm making perhaps an unwise choice to drink wine tonight, so I guess those who live in glass houses...you know.

RogerDoger said:
I don't mean to be critical, but I see some unwise dietary choices
here. Of course, I'm making perhaps an unwise choice to drink wine tonight, so I guess those who live in glass houses...you know.
It can be painful to read threads like this - you just see it riddled with mess we "shouldn't" eat. And you are right RD - with the wine comment!! Love your liver...you need it worse than we need our guts (did I REALLY just say that!)... We rarely eat like what I just typed. I haven't had a steak in probably over 6 months and my husband was surprised that I actually FRIED something - I don't EVER do that either (other than the occasional pan fried chicken parm in a small amount of olive and butter) - first time I've used my frying thermometer since we've been in this house! Dessert - well, we won't talk about that - I'm a baker more than anything and love to bake and eat sweets.... Everything I made was from Whole Foods and organic, even the wine - does that help :O)

Peaches said:
Everything I made was from Whole Foods and organic, even the wine - does that help :O)
I think it does. All this heavily pesticided, genetically modified crap is not
how God, whatever god that may be, intended us to eat. Maybe that's why our
immune systems are freaking out, because our bodies don't recognize this garbage as food.

I *wish* it were that easy - but I don't believe it is. But at the same time - I agree that you shouldn't put that crap in your body. We are ruining ourselves with high production cheap food.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Peaches said:
It can be painful to read threads like this - you just see it riddled with mess we "shouldn't" eat. And you are right RD - with the wine comment!! Love your liver...you need it worse than we need our guts (did I REALLY just say that!)... We rarely eat like what I just typed. I haven't had a steak in probably over 6 months and my husband was surprised that I actually FRIED something - I don't EVER do that either (other than the occasional pan fried chicken parm in a small amount of olive and butter) - first time I've used my frying thermometer since we've been in this house! Dessert - well, we won't talk about that - I'm a baker more than anything and love to bake and eat sweets.... Everything I made was from Whole Foods and organic, even the wine - does that help :O)
LOL I read what you all had tonight, and I was in shock! I was like that doesn't sound like the Peachy I know! :D

Hey Ris - do you eat quinoa much? I like it but I think it is pretty fibery, so not sure if it is a good idea for the Crohnies....

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Relax. It's just a thread. It's not a contest.

I'd safely guess folks with Crohns have a better grasp of proper nutrition than the general population.

There are some products marketed as food which are far from it.
Pop (soda) is a perfect example. Aspartame is a carcinogenic chemical
allowed into the food supply only by a corrupt FDA. Sorry, but it pisses me off.

GoJohnnyGo said:
Relax. It's just a thread. It's not a contest.

I'd safely guess folks with Crohns have a better grasp of proper nutrition than the general population.
I'm gonna second this.

I think I'd rather like what I'm eating than cringe before I eat everyday.

You know I've always wondered (this theory is in moderation, mind you) if people eat what they like to and are happier but live a (little, like 5 years less) shorter life, is that better than people who constantly regulated their diets their whole lives and faced some stress due to that? I mean people who LIKE that healthy food and people who LIKE to exercise (gain utility), this theory wouldn't work for, but the people who don't like healthy, whole foods and hate exercise would get some type of dis-utility from it.

Not saying I believe it... just throwing an interesting concept I often wonder about.

farm

Captain Insaneo
I don't understand the whole "organic" phenom going on; I mean we grow most of our food (hunt also) so isn't that "organic"??
No steroids, additives, etc etc etc. We are careful not to dust our crops with poisons and things like that also. Can I now sell my taters and such as "organic"?

I don't go to McD's these days but the kids wanted to go. (blame the family -lol) I know I'll pay for it later but the fries were just made and piping hot. Yep, had some fries and a cheeseburger. And you know what? It tasted heavenly.

farm

Captain Insaneo
LMAO, nice warning Lisa!!

I eat a McDonalds every once in a while, then I get McSick :(

I jus finished a home made fish burger ....yum

I'm over the organic thing I pump that many drugs into me daily now days it doesn't matter
plus at tripple the price..... Yea ya kiddin yaself think of the tp I can get with the extra coin lol
besides I could walk accross the road n be mowed a bus tomorrow so I jus eat what I like and can handle

my.december said:
I just had a plain noodle soup... or the broth at least. Boring, but when you get sent home from work for puking, you gotta take it easy.
Oh, sorry you're feeling under the weather, my.december. I also had soup for dinner too, due to unhappy tummy issues-potato cheese and cornbread. Which I rented.:poo:

This whole organic "thing" isn't a fad, it's food produced as it was intended to,
without interference from huge multinational corporations whose sole intent is to
genetically modify the world's food supply in order to patent it and control it.

When I start thinking about the nerve of those people (and I use the term loosely, for they have little humanity in them), my blood pounds with rage. When you control the food, you control the people.

You should be concerned about the genetically modified organisms you're putting into your body.

For those who might give a damn, read this book:

"If you eat lots of corn, be careful. Most US corn is genetically modified (GM), and most is engineered to produce its own toxic pesticide.

Genetic engineers simply remove the gene that produces the Bt in bacteria and insert it into the DNA of corn and cotton plants.

The Bt-toxin produced in the GM plants is more dangerous than in its natural spray form.

Studies and reports confirm that Bt crops provoke reactions in humans and animals.

The Roundup Ready genes inserted into soy used for food transfers into the DNA of bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. Although they never bothered to test GM corn, if Bt genes from corn chips also transfers, it might convert our intestinal flora into living pesticide factories—continually producing Bt-toxin inside of us.

About 73 percent of corn grown in the United States is GM. These include corn plants that produce Bt-toxin, as well as Roundup Ready or Liberty Link varieties, which are tolerant to herbicides like Roundup or Liberty. (Chickens fed Liberty Link corn died at twice the rate of those fed natural corn.)

Many health problems have gotten worse since GMOs entered the US food supply. For example, when GMOs were widely introduced in 1996, 7 percent of US citizens had three or more chronic illnesses. Within nine years, that percentage nearly doubled to 13 percent. "

farm said:
I don't understand the whole "organic" phenom going on; I mean we grow most of our food (hunt also) so isn't that "organic"??
No steroids, additives, etc etc etc. We are careful not to dust our crops with poisons and things like that also. Can I now sell my taters and such as "organic"?
Farm - here is the definition of organic from organic.org:

Simply stated, organic produce and other ingredients are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products do not take antibiotics or growth hormones.

I believe something like 3 or 4 years of using none of the things above has to go by on a particular plot of land before you can claim the things to be grown there as organic. Someone correct me there if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah Erazer - I just erased what took me like 15 minutes to type. Figured someone would have a negative reaction to it and that this was NOT the thread for it........so...gone. Carry on.....

Here in aust we don't hav many gm foods
and there is a strict law on what can an can't be used for waterin an fertilizing foods
ie no surage no grey water or reclaimed water etc etc

so apart from some pesticides I don't see any diff
jus the extra dollars they slug

like 1.99 a kilo for bananas or 7.99 a kilo for organic
not mention the normal ones normally last longer an taste better

Also night here, I have just had a tuna salad for supper and finished it off with a cup of black tea and some left over christams cake that I found!
Not sure the Christmas cake is a really good idea......

Nytefyre said:
Chick Fil A sandwich and a coke! Oh yeah, and a smile:)
Ahhh I want some Chick fil A SOOO bad!! Next time I'm back home in GA that's all I'm gonna eat!!! Oooo and some of their sweet tea!! Why doesn't the north have them yet???

So far today I've had oatmeal and a carnation instant breakfast. About to go make some lunch now...Ramen maybe...hmmm I dunno

Excellent!! I *wish* I had enough room in my backyard to plant a few rows. Our backyard is steep and the bottom where it is flat is covered by trees. Oh well....next house we build - that will be in the plans!

Ya can stil do a garden peaches
jus smaller scale
use pot plants etc
over here there a good garden show that always shows how too do gardens in small areas
like stack old car tyres on top of each other am fill with dirt etc they make a good potato grower then no digging required to get potato jus remove a tyre etc

I had tomatos in a pot they went nuts
jus an idea

I will be having 3 eggs scrambled this morning, no toast or bacon. I do miss my Spam, though.

Janis and I grow our own vegetables. In the 31 yrs we've been married we have never bought a can of tomato juice. Normally put up about 75 to 100 quarts a year. We make our own jam, strawberry, grape, raspberry and we also make our own salsa.
We use to go sucker fishing and would can them and cook them up just like salmon patties. We've canned beef, potatoes, chicken stock, grape juice, etc.

All natural plus it is great therapy for the mind.

Peaches said:
Here goes......and this is going to be repeated on FB Farmish - sorry!

Ribeye steak with whiskey cream sauce, roasted carrots in sage butter orange sauce and homemade onion rings with some pretty good pomegranate wine (it was toooo die for!!). Dessert was a bit of what I made for my daughter (cuz I just didn't have room for my own serving!) - pan buttered warm vanilla pound cake with whole sugared strawberries and whipped cream. I got an A+ from the family, now I know what I have to do - make really unhealthy stuff :O( :O)
Man, I just had Taco Bell. Peaches I'm coming over for dinner! :ytongue:

ameslouise

Wow! I'm surprised how many of you can do dairy. It was the first thing my Functional doc told me to cut out.

For dinner tonight it was eggplant cacciatore over rice pasta and a pea shoot salad with dried cranberries and slivered almonds.

I'm now going to prep tomorrow night's dinner - cabbage & onion casserole with pine nuts (if I can figure out a sub for ricotta cheese using nutritional yeast...), roasted potatoes and turnips, and pickled beets - all veggies from our crop share this week!

ameslouise said:
Wow! I'm surprised how many of you can do dairy. It was the first thing my Functional doc told me to cut out.

For dinner tonight it was eggplant cacciatore over rice pasta and a pea shoot salad with dried cranberries and slivered almonds.

I'm now going to prep tomorrow night's dinner - cabbage & onion casserole with pine nuts (if I can figure out a sub for ricotta cheese using nutritional yeast...), roasted potatoes and turnips, and pickled beets - all veggies from our crop share this week!
pine nuts! :runaway:

I am petrified of eating nuts still. I'll eat creamy peanut butter but nothing with bits of solid nuts at all. I am so afraid of them getting stuck in a crevice and triggering a flair. My MIL who has had crohn's for 20 odd years got nailed with the NG tube to suck out some pecans she ate a while back. I'm too chicken to risk it.

I miss bowties with Pesto.

ameslouise

I just chew like crazy! (That was the 2nd ting my doc told me to do!) But I do understand tht a lot of Crohnies have much trouble wth nuts. I am lucky I guess - I can do seeds and skins, too, just have to really chew.

I converted to Chewdiasm! HAHAHAHA!!!

"Jelly snakes" :ylol2: :ylol2: :ylol2: I love this term.

I miss Chik-fil-A as well!! So sad. Not sure why sweet tea isn't up north either. My husband and I had some of his friends over and I made sweet tea. When I asked them what tey wanted to drink they said they would "try" the sweet tea. Haha. I just thought it was funny. Iced tea isn't worth drinking to me unless it's sweet ;)

So, what am I eating right now? Cheddar cheese and honey crisp apples (with the skins peeled off - my hubby is too good to me :))

ameslouise said:

I can eat cheese all day but i cant have milk or eggs. and i love eggs:(

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
dreamintwilight said:
I just had chicken and rice and spinach :)
Same here more or less!

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (marinated in Greek dressing and grilled) with rice, and a mixture of green vegetables.

mmmm I miss the days of venison! When I was younger my uncle would go hunting and we would eat it. It was good!

Just cheerios for me this morning and a chobani yogurt with vitamins and med!

I am sitting down now for a pastrami sandwich with mustard and cole slaw and pickle. There is this little kosher joint near my office that has this incredible pastrami. We'll see how it effects me but it smell like heaven.

ameslouise

Jettalady said:
Wheat free Hot Quinoa flakes cereal, with rice milk, stevia and cinnamon, takes 90 seconds to make, yum!
Whoa! I wonder if we can get that here!! I am in a slight panic with Passover coming up and wondering what I can eat for breakfast. My hubber and in-laws told me not to sweat it regarding Passover this year, but I want to at least make an effort to observe.

ameslouise

Erazer said:
Something wrong with Matzot, Ames??
Other than the cardboard taste?! I don't eat refined wheat products.... this will make Passover really challenging! Lots of potatoes for me!