• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What are your positives from IBD

valleysangel92

Staff member
I know it might sound like a daft thing, but there's a lot of talk about what we don't like about IBD (and who can blame us) but I was wondering, what, if any, do you think are the positives?

For me, it's made my relationship with my parents and my partner a lot stronger, I've always been strong minded and independent, but having crohns has made me open up to them more, and it's made me learn to lean on other people.

It's shown me who and what really matters . I know a lot of people my age, stressing over not having enough money for the latest gadget or New set of clothes, or worried about how people will react to them if they don't give in to peer pressure. I have much more focus on my family, on being there for my niece and nephews, on being an active part of their lives, on getting back into education and making the most out of life.

It's also shown me I can handle a lot more than I thought I could. This time two years ago I never would have thought I could of made the choices I have, or dealt with major surgery, or been confident enough to try and confront prejudice when I find it.

What about you guys?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I think it's made me open up more and be less shy in general. I also think it's made me more compassionate towards others and far less judgmental compared to everyone else I know. It's also helping me pay off my student loan debt which is a definite plus.

As weird as it sounds, it's helped me to try new foods. I have always been anxious about trying new foods thanks to choking on something as a toddler. After being diagnosed and finding things that I can't have (in addition to being diagnosed with celiac disease) I have had to overcome that and now I eat many more things than I used to.

If I hadn't gotten IBD I don't know that I would've figured out a way to get past that.

This may sound weird, but my baby has gotten the best report cards after being diagnosed. Maybe it is that she takes her studies more seriously, or just appreciates the times she is able to be in school, but whatever it is I am proud! She actually came home with her report card today with comments like 'mature bright young woman' and 'shows great leadership and guidance'. 2 years ago I would have said this is NOT my girl.

@supportivemom - love your photo!

crohn's has almost cured me of my ability to procrastinate. It cured me of being timid - you have to grow out of it when you can't stop from farting in front of a cute nurse after a scope when you still have your backside to the world. It made me quit a deadend job and got me into one that I absolutely love, and it gave me the courage to start chasing dreams. Not sure how much of that would have happened without crohns.

I started having major medical issues in my early teens. UC hit me just as I graduated college and halted the career I had been working towards since I was a child. Over the years I learned to adapt to each new thing that came up with health issues, but having an ileostomy placed two years ago has changed me in more positives than I would have ever imagined. I've come full circle with the fear of having a stoma and the perceived social issues that come with it, along with getting comfortable with my own body. I laugh more now than I ever did before, all thanks to this weird new thing sticking out of my abdomen. I am much more open about many things in my life, not just health issues, and feel a tad fearless with things that used to make me freeze up before.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Being chronically ill has made me understand how important my health really is and not to take it for granted. It's made me appreciate exercise and fitness so much, and it's made me actually really enjoy going to the gym and working towards making my body physically healthier. I cherish my gym time now, I love working out and making my body hurt in a "good" way!

i,ve always known health above above wealth is tops but when i got saddled with crohns, and i don,t consider myself bad, got paid off with a pension,definetely rammed home healthy is better than wealthy.

I think sometimes it can help my prayer life. When I had to have my resection, it made me realize how much my wife loves me.

afidz

Super Moderator
I appreciate the small things more. I celebrate small accomplishments as they come. Crohn's has definitely made me a stronger person. It forced me to grow up. (I see that as good and bad)
But most importantly, I have established lifelong relationships with people on here that I would of never met otherwise. The light at the end of the tunnel is that I have great friends because I have Crohn's.

Not sure " Entirely Positive"... but knowing I'm not going through this alone. Other people out there have "been there done that"...

People on the forum are more understanding than most people I know in person..

Considering I had a TBI 8 years prior to my diagnosis of Crohns, I thought I was a strong, resilient girl who could put up a fight through anything. Crohn's being the lovely disease that it is, has done everything to try to upset my confidence and strength. One of the main things I've gained from it is humility. This disease will literally bring you to your knees. I've also become much more comfortable with my body, and about speaking about my experiences.

When I had my resection four years ago, one of my favorite memories was seeing a movie about a farmer who built a spaceship in his barn. One of the nurses watched also. That was the fun part :having someone to watch it with. During that time was when I started watching Food Network, even though most of the time they wouldn't let me have food.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Great post!
Well after all my surgery and resulting ileostomy and short gut I only need clear fluids to prep for surgery or scopes.
I HATE HATE HATE prep drinks ;)

On a more serious note I don't take good health for granted.

I have met some amazing friends through the Crohn's support group I'm part of. I would never have met them without it, so for that I am very grateful.

Being bored

Before diagnosis I loved to complain about being bored.

Got some coursework to do for uni, so boring!

Nothing on TV, why is TV so boring?

I haven't got enough money to go out and get drunk tonight with my friends, another boring night in then!

God I hate my job, I can't believe I spend half my day doing something so boring.

The past year I have been through hell and survived. What I would give to be able to complain about being bored.

Boredom is a luxury.

My passion in life is fighting for social justice and opportunity. My diagnosis and experiences have helped me to be able to look through another layer of identity, and in that sense, i have only benefited.

I can't say I have one positive from being ill. I'm not being deliberately negative, it's just any lesson I have learned has come from a negative place. I know who my true friends are and how amazing my family are, but that's only through disappointment of friends not bothering to visit when I was so sick in hospital. I grew up really fast and I'm way more mature than other people my age, but only cause I was too sick to have an adolescence and as a result of being ill I can't relate easily to other people when they moan about silly things. I work part time, which a lot of people would kill for, but any days I do work are a total struggle and I would give anything to have the choice to work more. My marriage, career and life are a total mess in the aftermath of being unwell. I would give everything I have 'learned' to be naive and go through life thinking a bad haircut or a flat tyre are the end of the world. I really would. Sorry folks, just being honest.

I have met some awesome people since being diagnosed, that would not have happened if I hadn't gotten sick. So that's a plus. Also, I think I am much more calm and brave. I used to cry (yes, cry) when I had to get the flu shot. I never would have imagined that I would have found the strength to give myself injections.

I'm also very thankful for food, now. Having been on so many restricted diets and liquid diets, I can value food and it's taste so much more.

I see myself before I got sick, and realize what a little baby I was. I took everything for granted, and thought I was so strong. Now I can truly say that I am strong, I am a fighter. It is part of my identity, and it makes me proud of who I am.