• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What bread do you eat?

what bread do you eat?

I am trying to cut down on the bubbles and I think bread may be one of the culprits. I know many of you do not eat bread, but I just don't think I can live without it. I have tried making bread with almond flour, yuck! I am trying to find out if you all have a specific brand/type that works better for you.

My question is...
what brand/type of bread do you eat?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Personally, I can handle gluten just fine and I usually buy the cheapest store-brand white bread. I don't do so well with whole grains or wheat bread so I stick with white even though it's not exactly healthy. My mother is gluten-free and she likes Udi's brand raisin bread, she says it's good toasted with a bit of peanut butter spread on it. (If you can't do peanut butter, it's still better toasted than not - if you can't do raisins, Udi's does other types of GF bread as well). My mom also likes this GF bread that we get at a restaurant here, it's a flatbread and I believe it's made with rice flour. I hope that helps a bit!

Sprouted Bread. Ezekiel from the health food store apparently is the best but I am not paying seven dollars a loaf. I get mine from the grocery store, oroweat, 2.99 a loaf. It's the only one that doesn't give me grief. I can even get my grandsons to eat it so it can't be terrible tasting, but then again, it's all I've got so I guess they really have no choice. hee hee

rygon

I keep to white bread. I find the shop bought bread to be bad on my guts, so make a sun dried tomato and thyme bread every so often (normally stick to rice crackers)

Thinking of giving sourdough a go

I only eat white bread - I find wholemeal, grains, etc really hard on my gut - but I buy organic sourdough that is made only a short distance from where I live. I don't eat much as it is very filling - usually only 2 slices a day. It keeps very well in the fridge and I toast it after about 3 days.

Chrismac

Best of British
I find white bread the best and I always try to buy it fresh. Shop bought processed bread is really bad for me.
I actually buy Polish bread from my local corner shop because the ingredients have 4 things in it, whereas processed bread from supermarkets has so much unnecessary stuff.
Then I also try to only have 2 slices a day, I can just about cope with that.

Thank you all. OK so whole wheat bread seems to be a no go with most of you. I think its a comfort thing with me. Feeling bad, so I just want toast. Eat the toast and then I get the bubbles. Will give all a try.
Thanks again

White bread definately best but not the cheap gloopy stuff. Cereal in the morning seems to wreck me for the day but I can have 3 slices of toast just fine (with jam and cheese together) ;)

I've wondered that to, but during a week when I was told to not have bread because an antibiotic could of given me a yeast infection along with my UTI if I did.....I chose not to have bread for precautionary measures. It didn't do anything different I just felt more hungry because without bread I can't get full with ANY meal!

I eat Sprouted Wheat bread. My nutritionist recommended I try it because your body can break it down with less effort than most normal breads. It doesn't seem to give me any problems but I still keep it to only 2 slices in a day. It taste best when toasted. Also I have never seen it cost more than $4.00 but that could also be because I live in an area with a lot of farmers markets and health food stores.

I eat the 50/50 bread. It's like white bread but with really fine ground wheat in. I don't like the plain white stuff and the wholegrain which I love isn't good for my symptoms.

White bread, I can handle gluten too. But Cornbread, rye bread, sesame on a loaf, or any kind of bread with seeds or fiber, sends me straight to the bathroom. I used to Looove cornbread and rye rusks, now I eat the store bought cheap-dry the next day crap.

Don't know of any scientific reason, but wholemeal bread makes me feel bloated. I stick with pitta bread most of the time now and all seems to be ok.