• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What can't you eat?

Hello all. I was just curious what foods cause you the most problems. I know that we are all different and I bet it is quite a variety. The bane of my existance appears to be beef in all its tasty forms. How about you?

must raw veggies, spaghetti sauce, I have cut down on read meat but not completely out. Same with pork. Only pork I can eat is sausage

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
It seems like everyone is so different. Luckily, pasta sauce is fine with me. But salads are a no-no. Other no-no's include BBQ sauce and spicy foods. Red meat is okay in moderation. I can't eat a whole filet, but a few bites are okay. And chop meat seems to be okay, too.

I keep a log of what I eat daily to track what bothers me. However, one day something won't bother me at all, and the next day the same thing may not sit right. It is very difficult. I really wish there was a diet to follow...

I've never really had a diet problem until recently. However I've never been able to eat salad, If I do you see it back in the bowl not long after.

Right now I've started a log of what I eat because I really don't know what bothers me. I've been in denial and still eating and suffering.

Popcorn, most raw vegetables and some fruits, some types of nuts, really spicy food, & salad. I really miss popcorn and salad. And veggies, to be honest.

I've had no problems with meat, but I haven't eaten anything but poultry and fish for the past 15 years, so no clue what beef/pork/other would be like.

It's odd to me to see the number of responses about not eating raw vegetables. This condition certainly is interesting in that way.

For all of the things I've had to cut from my diet due to CD, raw vegetables don't seem to cause much of a problem. Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots... standard salad fixings, I don't seem to have any problem with at all that I've ever noticed. Onions, broccoli, celery. No problems.

Peppers however. Wow, bad, bad, bad. Green and red peppers, whether cooked or raw, causes cramping within hours, so I stay away well away from them.

Things I can't have at all though are pretty much the same as most others.
Red meat (including pork), chocolate, most dairy items, etc. I've also found that eggs don't sit well, unless cooked into another food and the only fruit I've found that I can't have is banana.

Popcorn, corn chips, coffee, carbonated drinks, etc.. all on the no list. I've found that beer doesn't seem to cause much of a problem, though I only drink it in very limited moderation.

Thankfully I love eating fish and eat it whenever possible. Chicken gets old after awhile, but there are tons of great recipe books out there to help liven things up.

Can't say enough good things about the Jenni-O turkey company either. They seem to be most on the ball when it comes to disguising plain turkey as something else. I use their ground "burger" in everything. It has quite a bit of flavor and I usually don't need to spice it up at all.
I eat their breakfast sausage at least 2 or 3 times a week. Their hot dogs are very good and believe it or not, their meatloaf is outstanding.
I'm just waiting for them to come up with turkey pork chops. Life would be good then. haha

For me its: Popcorn, salad (sometimes yes and others no), dairy products, anything with wheat in it really kills my stomach. Anything high in fiber is also really tough on the stomach too.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I do not eat: fried foods, spicy foods (including mild spices like taco seasoning and garlic), seeds & nuts, dairy, red meat (pork & beef), alcohol, caffeine, most veggies & fruits (I can still eat bananas, blueberries, and most steamed or cooked veggies), popcorn, and most recently I gave up tomato products as I'm trying to get my acid reflux under control. I think the list of what I can't eat is longer than the list of what I can!

I dont eat a lot of Salad....that puts me over the edge. Any fruits or veggies with skins are no go. I dont eat a lot of red meat, no tomatoe sauces, spicy foods kill me, NO NUTS, and sugar is a big one for me to keep in moderation. When Im pretty healthy I can eat most stuff just in moderation. Its really hard when u feel better you want to eat everything....and that where I get into trouble~

Ack!

I am so happy I am not alone in this! I can't eat anything! Dairy, meat, cooked or raw veggies, fried foods, red sauce, bbq sauce, anything spicy, beer (grumble grumble), wine...... and the list goes on and on~ no fun! Can I just like, start over or something? Maybe go to walmart for a new digestive tract?

Anything fibrous like veggies or bran. I can actually pretty safely eat a small serving of anything once. It's if I eat it two days in a row or more that I get into trouble. I picture it all piling up inside me. :X

I can't have popcorn, salads, any raw veggies, nuts, or anything really greasy. Every once in a while I am tempted by a salad only to regret it later. Isn't it funny that the foods that are the healthiest are the ones that cause the most problems? A girl can't even eat raw veggies ..... man!

Doglover

When I was not so bad, any form of tortilla chips or fresh pineaplle gave me awful, awful pain so those were cut out totally.

Cheese and salad are fine if it isn't the last thing I eat: so if I had something and salad for my evening meal then i'd eat the salad first and be ok.

I still haven't figured out all that I can eat and can't. I know popcorn and corn is a big no-no. Also dairy products with lactose in it can be a problem. Yoghurt are the worse, and second is cows-milk. But lactosefree milk is ok.

I hear a lot of people can't eat salads. I eat that almost every day with either my lunch or my dinner. I really hope that isn't something I can't eat. Whats left if you take away all vegetables and things like that: unhealthy food! And I'm trying to loose weight...

One question to those who can't eat salads. How do you know? Do you get D or const? Or stomach -cramps? How long after?

what foods cause you the most problems.
1) All kinds of meat (i.e.) beef, pork, lamb, chicken, game bird and fish.

2) All kinds of dairy (i.e.) milk, cheese, cream, yogurt and ice-cream.

3) All kinds of processed wheat / flour / gluten / grains (i.e.) bread, bagels, pasta, biscuits, cakes, crisps and breakfast cereals.

4) All kinds of products high in sugar or sugar substitute (i.e.) processed foods, bread, bagels, biscuits, cakes, breakfast cereals, take away junk food, fizzy sodas, chocolate and artificial sweeteners.

5) All kinds of alcohol (i.e.) beer, wine, spirits, mixes, and ports

6) Too many raw roughage foods (i.e.) pineapple and broccoli

7) Anything fried in hot oil (i.e) fish in batter, chips/french fries and eggs.

8) Hot spice (i.e.) chilli flakes

9) Too many nuts (i.e.) cooked processed nuts. I can cope with activated raw nuts, but not processed.

I can handle some raw fruits and vegetables, and so I consume them every day. Fruits like ripe bananas and ripe papaya / paw paw. Coconut water fresh from a coconut and juiced spinach, carrots, cucumbers, celery, etc. I can also eat well steamed veggies like squash, sweet potato, zucchini, carrots, peas, asparagus and bok choy with no problems.

The diarrhea / constipation, pain, blood and mucous I get from meat/dairy/flour/sugar is normally beyond hideous and getting worse. I have been slowly cutting it down for the past few years from eating it every day to eating it once a week. But this year I have decided to stop putting my health further at risk and start being sensible by completely cutting them all out of my diet. The pain is not worth it in the long run.

Last month I fully committed myself to a proper vegan diet with some modifications (i.e.) no flour products, limited sugar, no processed food/drinks. I have also cut down my alcohol intake hugely and will only be drinking wine occasionally.

I am also taking a high dosage good quality multi strain probotic. This and the modified vegan diet have already stopped the pain and it has only been a week.

I have been pussyfooting around for a couple of years with diet. I have had some good success with diet, but like an idiot I will then eat things I know will flare me. So I go back to square one.

This year I am committed to making a real difference in my health by getting serious about dietary measures and this time around will aim to consistently make the right choices.

It may be hard, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Meat and pork are my "must stay away from" foods. Dairy, raw veggies, nuts, popcorn and alcohol are my "must only have in moderation" foods.

mine is beef and pork and for some strange reason cheese yet im ok with milk and butter,i fing after eating steaks or gammon steaks(pork shops that i suffer as theyre harder to digest,mushrooms sweetcorn ans they dont digest and nuts.oh how i miss cashew nuts and honey roast peanuts but peanut butter im fine with.brown bread or anything high fibre is a pain in the rear end.bananas i can handle.im going to try porridge and seee how i get on with that in the mornings as i tend not to eat much.rice crispies are ok as are cornflakes.chilli foods are a no-no but a tikka masala is ok as ive read that tumeric and cardamen are a natural anti inflammitory.i tend to stick to pasta noodles rice with chicken.some sauces are i nightmare too but you have to have a wee treat some times.chinese curry sauce is my saving grace as im fine with that so i can have a wee take-away now and again but sooooo miss pizza because of my intollerance to cheese.

I've had to give up coffee :(, any and all artificial sweeteners, processed sugar, raw veggies (I miss salads so much) and fruits (expect extremely ripened bananas), red meat, most ethnic foods (although Indian food doesn't usually hurt me), nuts, seeds, popcorn, dairy, processed foods (sandwich meats incl.), fast food (sometimes I can have ChickFila, the grilled chicken sandwich, plain), and fried food (among others). I'm flaring now so of course I have to be extra careful. I'm following a mostly low-residue/low-fiber diet right now. Basically I have to prepare everything I eat, it's tough at times, but it works.

Terriernut

Oh....I'm baaaaaad! Even if it gave me horrific problems, I by God will eat what I want! I'm only 100lbs (7 stone) and if I want a darn Big Tasty from McDonalds, by golly I'm gonna have it! (I WILL take off the darn sesame seeds) I will eat spicy mexican food, and indian takeaway, and salad! I will have wine with that, yes thank you. (a small glass please) Yes...I WILL have 4 cups of coffee before I leave the house, and a few fags too thank you!

I will by gosh take the consequences. But I WONT eat pickles before bed. Thats worse than bad! We DO have a member that has done so, and somehow lived to tell the tale. This could tell you something...I now have a temp stoma and have to put 'Stan' through his paces you see. But even before 'Stan', I would take it to the limit. I guess because I refuse to let this crap disease (pun intended) beat me!
Misty
(I have a high pain tolerance....do NOT follow my advice about diet!)

Oh....I'm baaaaaad! Even if it gave me horrific problems, I by God will eat what I want! I'm only 100lbs (7 stone) and if I want a darn Big Tasty from McDonalds, by golly I'm gonna have it! (I WILL take off the darn sesame seeds) I will eat spicy mexican food, and indian takeaway, and salad! I will have wine with that, yes thank you. (a small glass please) Yes...I WILL have 4 cups of coffee before I leave the house, and a few fags too thank you!
I oscillate between this attitude and "Uggghhh I'm never eating solid food againnnnn." Sometimes I feel like "Well if it's going to hurt to eat, then what I'm eating better be insanely delicious so it's worth it," and other times I think, "I'm not gonna eat anything so I don't hurt..."

As to the original question: BROCCOLI (my favorite vegetable). It is the only food that has made me actually wake up in pain. And popcorn. Popcorn doesn't hurt so much as it gives me "bathroom issues." Oh and salad. Eating salad never ends well.

mmm very interesting how food can affect ppl diffarent.for me its now cheese yet im fine with butter,milk.beef and pork give me bad guts but another red meat,ostrich is fine,fish chicken,fizzy juice and coffee(now on decaffe and seems fine)chilli foods,i can take chines curry and tikka masala as the tumeric and cardomen are anti inflamatorys.as for salad i have no problems at all,some fruits are a no no but bananas are cool,i still enjoy a beer and wine and whisky.phew.......

Most things tend to make me sick but sometimes I'm bad and eat them anyway. I know I shouldn't but it can be so hard to not be able to eat whatever I want.

Most dairy products for sure...I miss ice cream...

I can't eat any deep fried food, french fries especially. Can't eat any fast food, anything with seeds, and some things with garlic (I'm finally able to eat light garlic bread and cheese :biggrin:)
I think I am starting to flare again and I think it was because I started eating pepperoni sticks :(

Garlic, nuts, popcorn, corn, greens, most spicy foods make me quite ill, no red meats, anything thats really geasy, alcohol, and i drink lactose free milk.

While I understand and have prescribed to the 'eat it now, deal later' idea, the last time I ate an orange I spent a week in the hospital (over New Years). But I almost always prescribe to the 'if I already feel horrible, why not eat what I won't, I won't feel much worse' theory.

I cannot eat salad unless I'm in perfect health and even then it really screws with my insides. Actually, I can't eat any vegis right now. When I left the hospital over Christmas of '09, my GI told me that I needed to be careful and eat a crap diet - breads, cereals, pasta, potatoes, fish, chicken, rice, pudding, custard, etc. Basically no fiber and a mostly white diet. My hubby had heard me say that previously and saw the issues I dealt with when I ate something I shouldn't, but hearing it from a doctor shocked him.

What I don't have problem with is meat. I never even thought of red meat causing an issue. I also don't have troubles with most fried foods. I do have trouble with onion rings, but I think it's more the onion than the grease. I only eat them when I'm already hurting.

Like so many others, I cannot have popcorn, no matter what. I'm looking for a hull-less white cheddar popcorn. I've had bright orange hull-less popcorn, but no where near as good as Smart Food. Any and all vegies and fruit totally mess me up these days. Also, I have troubles with lobster. No clue what it is that bothers me, not sure it's the lobster or the mass quantities of butter, but it's not going to stop me from having a once a year lobster feast. (I live in Maine, so it's not expensive.)

I can't tolerate anything spicy, at all. Not even the slightest bit spicy.

But even further than that, I can't handle black pepper in any way. Almost every chicken chunk or sandwich (even BK, McD's, Wendy's, KFC, etc) you can find has black pepper on it. And then there's pizza sauces, who knows how much is hidden in there. Almost every meal at a restaurant has black pepper in it, or the elusive white pepper which also has mean and vicious corners that hate my intestines. It's a lot of fun to find something to eat - during the times I'm actually willing to eat outside the house - that won't kill me without special ordering. For a short time McD's fish sandwich even had black pepper on it! I don't get the obsession with black pepper! What is it about black pepper that makes everyone think their food needs to have it? I'm so confused!

I can't eat any fried food, fast food, I can only eat beef in moderation, absolutley no kind of soda, or carbonated drinks, my doctor said I have to eat fiber but even that has to be in moderation.. I can eat nuts but only really little of it.. But everything in my cubbards are fiber so I haven't been getting flares till a week ago and it's now easing off.. And that's how I learn no soda at all

Raw fruits/veggies, salad, artificial sweeteners (OUCH!), fruit juice (esp OJ!), alcohol, whole grains, and really anything high fiber. I am usually okay with popcorn, but I eat it VERY sparingly.

I can't eat all the usual stuff - corn, raw carrot (although I will have it grated in salads), popcorn. Sometimes too much dairy makes me feel off, but I have never been that much of a fan anyway. Most nuts I can't eat - I once ate so many macadamia nuts that I ended up in hospital! Peas, beans, cabbage and broccoli make me feel unwell. Greasy food as well is no good, but sometimes I give into temptation! Since diagnosed I haven't had too much spicy food, although I love sweet chilli sauce and have it regularly and I seem ok. I really should be keeping a diary, but I just love food too much to give it up. :ytongue:

I practically eat or drink anything except for nuts, seeds, grains, alcohol, soda, spicy foods, raw green peppers~those make me burp like crazy, greasy foods~rarely eat, lard on bread~makes me vomit, raw bacon, and allergic to seafood~so I definitely do not touch that!Otherwise I eat/drink practically anything, I love eating veggies and fruits especially!

kisses, Aya

ameslouise

Two things that are on my absolute DO NOT EAT list:

Spinach in any way, shape or form
Shredded, stringy meat - brisket, flank steak, short ribs, skirt steak, etc.

I know we all struggle with what we can eat. I definitely eat things I shouldnt just because of lack of will power/social pressure etc. But does anyone know if it does any long term damage? Or is it just the immediate time where the food passes through your system that it causes pain etc?