• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What could it be?

Hi guys,

I am still experiencing the lower right side pain. My GI did a colonoscopy and found 5mm ulcer in ileum, biopsied and could not confirm crohn. Pill cam result came back normal and said ulcer is not there anymore but I forgot to ask if there's still inflammation but i assume there isn't if the report said "normal capsule endoscopy". CBC blood work is normal. But yet I am still having the lower right side pain. Online report, I saw GI seem to diagnosed me with enteritis in small intestine. This pain has been going on for almost six months already. I have no other symptoms other than the pain. I tried taking Bentyl and Pentasa but it doesn't help with the pain. I am scheduled for a breath test to check for overgrowth bacteria in the small intestine. Could this be the cause of the pain?? I am just so frustrated because I just want this pain to go away rather it's crohn or not. Any thoughts of what else it could be and if it's just enteritis in the small intestine, does it take that long to heal?? I was fine and didn't have pain until the month of November when I had to take advil everyday for a week or so.

Thank guys..any replies would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't what it could be for you but I just wanted to let you know I am going through a similar thing. I do have a diagnosis of Crohn's disease but all my tests have normalised now I have been on my meds a year and my colonoscopy last week showed 3 superficial ulcers at my terminal ileum smaller than 3mm in size. I feel like I should be feeling great but instead I have symptoms everyday. I have a dull ache on my lower right hand side, discomfort like I'm full of gas unable to expel, fatigued and just generally feel "off". God knows what is going on :-(

I don't what it could be for you but I just wanted to let you know I am going through a similar thing. I do have a diagnosis of Crohn's disease but all my tests have normalised now I have been on my meds a year and my colonoscopy last week showed 3 superficial ulcers at my terminal ileum smaller than 3mm in size. I feel like I should be feeling great but instead I have symptoms everyday. I have a dull ache on my lower right hand side, discomfort like I'm full of gas unable to expel, fatigued and just generally feel "off". God knows what is going on :-(
This really sucks! I was hoping medicine could help us feel normal again!! It's just so frustrating dealing with the pain. I think these past days after I eat, I feel like my stomach is tumbling or something. I don't mind getting diagnosed but i just want the medication to help me feel normal again. I hope we get it straighten out and feel better

Have they prescribed you anything for the enteritis?
Nope. The doc told me I could take bentyl for the pain. But I just messaged him today and asked him to prescribe me something else. I feel like the pain is what's bothering me and it's not seem to improve even after six months.

Yes, I am going to do my breath test on 5/5 and if that come back normal and pain is still there by that time. I'm going to look for another gastro! It's sooo upsetting
Luckysparks sorry to read this :(

Have you had a faecal calprotectin test yet? This is a stool sample that with check the inflammation levels in your colon

Luckysparks sorry to read this :(

Have you had a faecal calprotectin test yet? This is a stool sample that with check the inflammation levels in your colon
nope. I had other stool sample to check like Giadia and parasite. I read online that the faecal cal is not that accurate to check for inflammation since it could come back false neg. The test check for inflammation of the colon, how about like the small intestine?

Thanks for the advice, i will ask my GI about that test.

nope. I had other stool sample to check like Giadia and parasite. I read online that the faecal cal is not that accurate to check for inflammation since it could come back false neg. The test check for inflammation of the colon, how about like the small intestine?

Thanks for the advice, i will ask my GI about that test.
Yes, I don't think it's totally accurate, but might be a starter. I believe it can give false positive results, but not false negatives. I could be wrong. XxX

Fecal calprotectin is sometimes not able to detect inflammation located in the small intestine.
But usually a very sensitive test for large intestinal inflammation.
Also when we have pain located in the intestines it is sometimes difficult to know if the pain is caused by inflammation or damage to the enteric nerves. Or perhaps a combination.
If bentyl is not helpful, have you tried gabapentin or any kind of tricyclic? Could help with dulling the nervous system in the bowel.