• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What did you guys experience before diagnosis?

Hello all,
I am a college student from NC. About December of 2014, my freshman year of college, my life got turned around completely. I went from being a relaxed guy that had no problem with long rides to now I get anxiety about stepping foot outside of my door. Let me get back to December 2014 though. I had been doing fine with traditional classes, then the day around finals comes where I am literally getting emergencies to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, no joke. I had never used the bathroom on myself till then and I am a very potty trained man(lol). But for a month I was living like that, maybe getting an hour of sleep. I went to my pediatrician at the time and they did the run of the mill "its just that "IBS" we diagnosed you with in 9th grade and anxiety" so they gave me some hio... something and it worked for all of about two months and I thought I was fine. Ended up getting a dear john from the pediatrician and went to a big boy doctor after that. Instead of being a doctor that blames anxiety and stuff, this fellow actually wanted to run some tests and send me to a GI. We did some blood work, the blood work came back as possible Celiac disease and he recommended I go to a GI. The GI recommends a Colonoscopy and endoscopy, but guys, I am sure you know how hard it is to miss even one business day in college. I am really starting to doubt celiac and this is what I am dealing with: About once every month(back a few months ago it was happening about every three days) I get these horrible, like no joking it makes me near tears, cramps that happen usually to the right of my belly button. These are the newest and seem to be the only thing that happens when it comes. I will get those cramps and the five minute(if that) warning to get to a bathroom and I will be there for thirty minutes agonizingly feeling it getting ready and then it happens and I just have to sleep sitting up that night. Does this seem like Crohns to any of you guys? I am hoping spring break I will get the endo and colonoscopy done, but idk. Thanks.

Welcome to the group. Sorry that you are having trouble. Has your GI done a fecal calprotectin? It is a stool test that measures the amount of inflammation in your gut. I hope you get some answers soon.

My physician tested my waste for bacteria, but thats besides the point. The GI is just wanting to get down to doing the "inspections". Thanks for the reply and hey, c'est la vie.

Well, before i was diagnosed, for 2 yrs i was feeling wide variety of issues.
Started off mildly, if u want to call it that, only thing i first experienced, at least during this 6yr flare, was i began to be bauseated at meals and if i tried to eat. I would only eat dinner and to do so, i would eat half a marijuana cookie 30-45 mins before dinner and it was a miracle.
That was for about 8 months and it subsided. I would take pain meds at night too, they helped me sleep.
Then in 2011, my best friend for over half my life,(i was 31 at the time) got sick and passed away rather out of the blue for a 32 yr old strong guy. During his 64 day hospitalization and the following 8 months after his death, i went through alot, but during his stay in the icu, i began waking up every hour with a extreme urge to move my bowels, and it was painful, like contractions and physically draining, like i would be a ball of sweat and flop back into bed, feeling relieved like omg, just to be awakened in an hour to do the dance all over. Thougjt it was the food his lady's mom was making, zeti, which i was loving. Also thought it was the stress of watching my friend die before my eyes, helpless. This continued after he passed, and after i would change my diet. I was getting gnarly stomach aches, cramps, etc. I was not even aware that when i would get home from work, i would sit in my computer chair, to watch tv, with my knees up to my chest. Extreme fatigue as well, no matter how much sleep i got, things i had done for 10 yrs prior were now seeming to completely suck me dry of energy. Took everything i had to get through an 8 hr day of work at the shop. And mond u i was used to working 14-16 hr days on commercials. Had to be careful in traffic cuz if i even let my guard down for a sec and relaxed my eyes, i could knock out. Looking back on it all now, it so makes sense after all the reading i have done. Even going back to being a adolescent, my first fistula at 13. But up until 2010, i never had like major stomach issues, other than i would get stomach aches from stressful situations, and i just chaulked it ip to that i got stomach aches the way other people got headaches... never had issues with energy like this either, like i said i worked long crazy days for weeks on end at times, and was an avid surfer, could surf for 3 hrs and go back and do another 3 hrs later the same day. Now i havent surfed in like 2 yrs. I barely get out of bed. Anyway, rambling oike i tend to do. It was hard for me to motice the signs as i was dealing with alot of emotional things and relationship stresses of taking care of his fiance who used and abused me following his death as well. Used my 40k in savings and walked away when it wasgone... but i was blinded by all these other life issues takjng place.
Find a good gi dr and dude, you can find the time for a colonoscopy. Theres holidays, you can always miss a class and sit in on it on a different day, especially if you talk to the prof and tell them the situation. Believe me theres ways around it if you value your health. If you dont make time, it may be the difference of being able to attend school or not, as i jave read alot of people who had to leave college due to how much this disease can affect ones life and day to day routine.
Good luck to you, hope my long ass drawn out answer wasnt more than it was worth.