• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What do I expect from Humira

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
My daughter, now 22, is failing sulfasalazine due to low white count. She has already failed 6MP for same reason 3 years ago. Her rheumatologist wants her to start Humira soon for joint issues. What can we expect as far as side effects? Is it usually well tolerated? Also, does anyone know how helpful it is for anal fissures?

my little penguin

Staff member
My kiddo was on humira from age 9 to 14
No real issues except injection site redness
It did not fully cover his juvenile arthritis
We added methotrexate to it
But he still ended up with scar tissue in his tendons in his hands
He has been on Stelara (high dose 90 mg every 4 weeks ) plus methotrexate since the August of 2017
Almost 4 years
No active arthritis once it started working (took 3 months once at every 4 weeks )

anal fissures usually respond well to steriod suppositories

Lynda Lynda

Has anyone ever had to take their weekly Humira Injection later than their scheduled date or ever had to skip a weekly injection for any reason ?

Lynda Lynda

Side Note :
Due to something I had no control over, my next Humira Pen delivery will not get to me in time for my next dose, which is on 9/23. I inject once a week. Anyhow, I have been instructed by Abbvie Assist to call them on Wednesday, 9/22.

The pens are shipped by ground, not air, from northern Illinois to Arizona. That's a long way to travel with medication surrounded by cold packs in boxes when it's °100F here.

I did not restrict any medications and I have my 3rd Covid vaccine dose tomorrow.
I injected my Humira on 9/16 and took my MTX on 9/16 and I take Budesonide daily. I'll see what happens 🤔

Take Care.

Scipio

Side Note :
Due to something I had no control over, my next Humira Pen delivery will not get to me in time for my next dose, which is on 9/23. I inject once a week. Anyhow, I have been instructed by Abbvie Assist to call them on Wednesday, 9/22.
Talk to your GI to see if they have "free samples" available. For self-injected drugs like Humira and Stelara the drug companies sometimes provide GIs a few sample injections to keep in the office for such emergency use. The answer may be no, but it's worth a shot. It's best not to miss or delay a dose if it can be avoided.