• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What Do I Have? (Also My Story)

Hello everyone. I finally decided to register an account here after much lurking. I've decided to skip the introduction post as this one will include most if not all info that would have been present in that thread.

Do forgive any blatant spelling or grammar errors, as I'm attempting this post via phone. Good 'ol technology.

Anywho, I'm a (recently) 25 year old male. My problems started back in 2010 after several months of intense weight loss and exercise. For about a month in September I began having chronic diarrhea. I treated it typically with Immodium and went about my days. Early to mid October and one stressful event later, l was in the local hospital with a small bowel obstruction, unable to eat. This was blamed on a virus and I was sent home with painkillers and antibiotics, and also flagyl.

Obviously nothing changed, so several days later I admitted myself to a better hospitals ER over the border in southern NY. In the meantime l had developed a very obvious rash on my feet, small purple dots, almost like pox. The ER attendant immediately recognized it as vasculitis. I was admitted, given several tests, and eventually treated with Prednisone. I was then diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I continued seeing the resident GI who set me up on Mercaptopurine, flagyl and prednisone. Mid way through 2011 I was off everything but 6mp. I took 75mg daily until my liver showed signs of toxicity, when I was brought down to 50mg.

Everything was going great by 2012. I got a colonoscopy and an endoscopy early in the year, both of which showed no swelling or permanent colon damage and I didn't need surgery.

Part way through the year, however, I lost my insurance plan that allowed for coverage in NY, and the GI's office kicked me to the curb. From then until now I've been without a GI and holding on 50mg 6mp (a mistake).

Starting around February of 2013 I began once again having problems with chronic diarrhea. It began with once or twice every so often to several times a week. I began to juice fruits and veggies, vastly cut down on eating and started taking vitamin supplements regularly. I felt better for a short while, and then the diarrhea picked up where it left off. In return l began cutting my 6mp dose in half and making very basic apple juice with carrots and pineapple instead of whatever I had on hand. I felt great for 2-3 days, then back to diarrhea, this time daily.

As recently as 3 weeks ago I quit the meds entirely, stopped juicing and stopped all supplements. I began eating small portions of plain chicken and either noodles or sweet potatoes/cooked carrots. I didn't feel amazing but the diarrhea stopped, and stayed gone for about a week and a half.

Last Saturday I had turkey breast with mashed taters, gravy, carrots and stuffing with a mayo and turkey sandwich (white bread) later in the day. Sunday morning was painful and lousy diarrhea.

In response to this, l began eating entirely gluten-free things. This lasted two days. Yesterday I had gluten-free pasta with half a burger cut in half with lentil chips later on. Today, you guessed it. Diarrhea.

So, here I am. Now, I do have a new GI lined up and a full range of lab work coming in for my new doctor. The only other detail I've skipped on is that back around the same time my problems started up again, I began using marijuana, and have been since. I was eating quite a bit from the munchies at first, but since have had much more control over my cravings. My last resort before I throw in the towel is to stop using that. I don't use a bong anymore, instead preferring a vaporizer.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it just Crohn's that's become active again? Why didn't the meds work? I've gone from being able to eat just about anything normally to nothing at all, and now back to some things like chicken.

Thanks for reading, and I deeply appreciate any comments. It's been very tough for me to deal with and my work attendance is suffering pretty badly.

Edit - Figured l would add in my current symptoms. Every day generally throughout the day I have a lot of stomach noise. Most days I wake up feeling as if I've never slept in my life and no sleep schedule change helps this. I have no motivation to the point where l would gladly quit my job any day. Occasionally I feel like I have to go but it doesn't happen, usually just more gas. My appetite hasn't been normal for about 3 weeks. I either have no desire to eat and food smells bad to me, or I get a decent hunger going, never like it was, like an eat-now-or-else feeling. Pain is relatively low, but the D is just incredibly draining. I think that's about it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of all you have been through. A flare very well may be the culprit since meds can stop working for you or may not be at a therapeutic level dose. It is common that people have to move on to others meds to control their disease. I do hope the new GI and lab results will give you some answers that lead to relief.

I have the rumbly tummy and the urgency followed by no BM also if I upset my system. What upsets it for me is starch. It took me forever to figure it out. But people are different, your search for what upsets your system may lead you to discover that it's something else. For instance, I'm fascinated by the stories here of people whose systems are upset by meat. (If you can handle chicken, I'd say that's not you, though.)

I can't say what you have, but sounds like those tests are on the right track and I hope you get some answers.