• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What do you do for fun?

Hello! :)

I was just wondering, what does everyone do for recreation whether during a flare or in remission?
We all need something to distract ourselves with...

During remission, I play pool in a league and I also enjoy running.

During a flare, I often play Apples to Apples with my friends, I also enjoy painting!

Soo, What do you like to do for fun?!

scottsma

pretty boring really,have to walk the dog at least 3 times daily.Used to walk at least 5 miles daily before dx 6yrs ago,and still do when I'm well.If flaring,shorter walks.I love to read and do a crossword daily.Love the great outdoors and wildlife .

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I write up a quarterly bucket list to give me something to work on/look forward to a few times each year. It really is a mood booster to have a more short-term,attainable list of goals such as this. However, with regards to routine:

Every season I join a different social sports for folks in my age group.

I am a volunteer and a volunteer leader for a few programs in the city.

I have an art degree so the craft part of me comes out now and then.

I host Meetup events sporadically to get out and socialize, try something new.

When I am ill, I usually spend time catching up on my favorite shows, playing computer games and chatting here...it's about all I have the energy for. Leaving my sofa is rare. lol.

Just like crohnschicago says. I mostly played online video games until I forgot to eat (easy for us crohnies). I'd also forget to sleep earlier in my video game career -lol. I was so into it the online social aspect and going through dungeons with others while I was on pain kilers while dealing with flares. I'd also download tv shows and movies and read lots of books. I have a dog that requires me to go outside and say hello to that big yellow thing in the sky(the sun). I don't like staying outside cause of the warnings on methotrexate sun exposure and my history with meds. Other than that I currently work (thankfully.) But as we all know it can change at any time.

I'm another one who plays video games while ill. Usually world of warcraft when only a little bit ill since I pretty much hated doing anything that wasn't raiding, and making everyone wait 10 minutes every so often wasn't good! Sucks for them I was a raid leader!

If I feel like I'm just going too often to stay on I'll do something like watching talks, reading up on how to do things, essentially just trying to learn. I don't like spending too long feeling unproductive.

Right now, I teach kids how to paint during my lunch hour at school! Aside from that, I have lots of work to do getting ready to actually teach them. When (if) that slows down and I become a supply teacher again, I will be painting more regularly. In winter, when I am not working, I will go play some shinny hockey on outdoor ice. Summertime sees me teaching my 4 year old how to fish, cycling, lots of painting, participating as an artist in outdoor festivals. Year round I play a little guitar, build models. Nice to be healthy again!

When I'm in remission (like now knock on wood) I ride my Harley, camp and do woodworking. I'd like to get back into running.

When I'm in a flare I read novels and try to write poetry.

I like to read alot- like to go to Barnes and Nobles- walk around and head back home. Their bathrooms are not to bad and never really crowded. I like to hang out with my youngest and
watch "his" shows- the big bang theory and house.

Lauren

The only things crohns stops me from doing is going to the gym with friends and being able to walk the dog far ( luckily I live right by the forest and a massive lake so she still gets a good run)

When I'm sick I read, draw, play on a games console and do some crafts. A couple of weeks back when I couldn't walk at all I got a set of knitting needles and a ball of wool and taught myself how to knitt using you tube. Some people laughed but it's a lot harder than it looks but once you get the basics you're away. I enjoy teaching myself something new and next year I am starting a quilting class which would be helpful when flaring :)

First post here! :ysmile:

In a flare up I play my Xbox/computer games

And in remission I play pickup basketball games

I also enjoy watching football hockey basketball and soccer