• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What dosage of Prednisone did you start with?

M

manatee

I use to take prednisone, but it has been at least 10 years and I'm trying to remember what dosage they started me off on. Seems like they started me off on a small dosage and tapered up to a certain amount...then leveled off for awhile then tapered off.

Anyone know what some of the average dosages are for prednisone with Crohn's?

It depended on the flare up. I have started at 120, 80,60,40 and once at 30 usually for 5 days and then they tapered me off over weeks. Sorry not much help. I know prednisone can effect people differently but be aware of the mood swings.

B

bk1579

Not sure if I can be any help, but I can give you my experience...I don't have crohns, but UC...My dr. started me out on 40 mg, which I saw a huge difference in just a couple of days...That has been the highest dosage I've been on...As metioned above, everyone is different...

Kev

I started off at 20mg, but altho it gave me some improvement, I really didn't get 'better' until they upped me to 40mg. Then it really kicked in. then I went off it and when I had to go back on it, I noticed that the 40mg that worked so well on the previous trial didn't 'kick in' as fast, and the results weren't as remarkable

It eventually did do the trick, and I never went above 40mg, and now I'm midst of tapering off it once again... I dunno if that helps you out at all..

M

manatee

Wow, so I'm pretty much in the low range. Got a prescription and am starting off at 10mg/day... so far have only noticed a little improvement in the area of not going to the bathroom as much per day... but unfortunately no rock solid stools. lol... i love how we can all openly talk about poo here

M

manatee

Another question - how long before you guys started noticing positive results with prednisone? When I think back I haven't been on it since 1995, that's why my memory fails me :)

Well the only "positive" results I received were a tiny lessening in pain and major appetite gain. So that's why I'm currently on Humira... but my appetite grew almost a couple hours after taking it.

M

manatee

I think I noticed the massive increase in appetite the same day I started taking it! I'd rather be fat than deal with crohn's! lol... it is helping... I actually had a semi-halfway-sort of normal bathroom experience yesterday and have gone from going to the bathroom 4 to 5 times a day to 1 or 2!

So glad we have the internet so we can cope with this better.... I think it would be really cool if we could all meet up in person. Maybe they have a Crohn's convention somewhere? Just hope they have plenty of bathrooms.

Well I just flared again and after a night in the ER with horrible pain, I'm now on back on 40 mg/day . i've been on it for a week, and although I have no pain, I'm still feeling very lousy and don't have much appetite. I don't know how much I will stay on this dose, but the doc says maybe 2 or 3 weeks till I feel better....

Before I took it 3 times, twice 40 mg and once 60, and it made me feel better than now. I hope it does the trick this time also, else my doctor is talking about Remicade.......

Sorry to hear you're back in a flare Mazen.

The first time I took Prednisone, about 4-5 years ago, I can't remember the dosage, though, I'm sure it was at least 40mg. I had been in the hospital on a liquid diet for a few days so I may have had a head start to good results. I noticed a big difference within the first couple of days with good dog-like logs for stools.

Currently, I've been on 40mg for the last month following surgery for abscess drainage and fistula management. This time, I noticed a difference within the first few days with fewer trips to the bathroom and better formed stools. But I haven't had the nice round dog logs. After about a week I did start having logs but they were in more of a rectangular shape. After about a month now they're still kind of rectangular. I guess this means I still have narrowing of the intestine or thickening of the bowel wall.

K

kpratte

Been on it a dozen plus times.. My GI has said anything above 40mg doesn't do anything but give you more side affects. ;) Whether that is true, don't entirely know.

The usual course for me has been 40, 30, 20, 15, 10, 5, 5 every other in two week duration for each of those. I usually need sleeping pills till I get down to 10mg.

Also note if you get it in the ER/hospital via an IV, just half the dosage that they are telling you, i.e. 100mg IV = 50mg oral.

- Ken