• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What foods cause bloating?

I was just wondering your opinions/experiences with this.
When I'm feeling ok (like I am now) I can eat whatever I want without any pain or diarrheah and only go to the toilet about once or twice a day. But the last few weeks my tummy has been fairly big and round. Not too uncomfortable but just not quite perfect.
I know with what it says in my signature people generally expect me to know things about diet, but I don't know everything and I want to know what you guys think because you have crohn's and not from what the textbooks tell me.

rygon

Have you read the sticky "safe and Unsafe foods" in this forum. That may give a broad understanding of what may cause problems.

I find that even when I am feeling good, some foods will still cause me a lot of grief (pain, excess toilet trips, bloating) which will last for a few days.

I read up of intolerance tests, but the opinion is that they are expensive, can vary from test to test and dont seem to be very accurate at all (due to not fuly understanding why people have intolerances). So the trial and error method is best.

My things not to eat are wholewheat, corn, bran, red grape (and red wine), kiwi fruit. barley, caffeine and alcohol (although I find that vodka, white wine and cider are the least problematic so I still drink those every so often).

Ive been drinking peppermint tea and ginger tea that seem to help with bloating, and I now take peppermint, ginger and turmeric tablets, plus started with fybogel drinks to help with the D

Hiya!

Well recently I've been looking at what my diet consists of, and as I'm only 19 its the typical 'teenagers diet'. Junk food, lots of fizzy drinks and pretty much as much food as ican shovel down my throat when its a good day. My good days usually consist of toilet runs maybe three to four times which for me is really good.
The one food that really really bloats me is Pizza, specifically Dominoes Pizza. I love it but it really doesn't do me any good.

Also, i completely understand what you mean by 'not too uncomfortable but just not quite perfect' as im 6ft1" and i weigh 12 stone! A pot belly looks rather strange on me.

From doing an elimination diet, I have learned that the following are foods that can cause bloating for me.

Foods containing dairy (including chocolate!), foods with lots of fibre, legumes (including peanuts), cruciferous vegetables, red meats, raw fruits, foods containing wheat and gluten (including oats), fresh corn and corn meal.

Thanks everyone.
Since coming out of hospital my diet has changed a lot. When I'm not well I tend to lean towards low residue because I always have diarrheah. But since steroids and surgery (where they told me to keep stools soft) I have been constipated or just had one formed bowel movement.
So I have been eating A LOT more fibre and bananas...?!? (I have been craving them I'm not normally into them!)
I'm thinking this must be why I'm feeling more bloated, as well as not being used to my bowel movements being like this.
But I have to say I love all that healthy high fibre food. It has been so nice eating it again instead of sticking to the boring low fibre white breads and such.
I think I'll have to put up with the bloating for the time being if that is what is causing it because I have to try to keep my stools soft.

rygon

have a read about soluble and insoluble fibre. I think soluble is better on the gut for us, but try and keep away from bread altogether as it causes me bloating. May be worth getting some psyllium husk tablets/sachets for fibre

Yeah the whole insoluble/soluble fibre thing is what I go by when doing low residue. The thing is in terms of keeping stools soft and decreasing transit time I would need to increase the insoluble fibre. The opposite of what I usually do basically....
I'll look into psyllium husk, thanks :)

Most bloating is caused by bacteria feasting on undigested sugars (carbohydrates, lactose, starch, fructose etc) in the colon.

nogutsnoglory

Yeah the whole insoluble/soluble fibre thing is what I go by when doing low residue. The thing is in terms of keeping stools soft and decreasing transit time I would need to increase the insoluble fibre. The opposite of what I usually do basically....
I'll look into psyllium husk, thanks :)
The problem is that there is no regulation over listing fiber content. For example I bought some sprouted wild rice and it says 0g fiber but the package says it is high in fiber!!! I have seen many products with the exact same ingredient and fiber levels vary significantly. It's hard to know/trust who is right/wrong when it comes to fiber or the breakdown of soluble and insoluble.

The problem is that there is no regulation over listing fiber content. For example I bought some sprouted wild rice and it says 0g fiber but the package says it is high in fiber!!! I have seen many products with the exact same ingredient and fiber levels vary significantly. It's hard to know/trust who is right/wrong when it comes to fiber or the breakdown of soluble and insoluble.
:eek2: Thats ridiculous! Just had a little look in one of my text books for recommended intakes for fibre. For the UK its a min of 12g/day a max of 24g/day and for the USA a lower value of 16g/day and an upper value of 24g/day. Not sure if that helps or not?

Maybe I should have a read up about it in my books, but as I said in my first post all of it generally refers to healthy people rather than those with IBD or bowel problems.

I've decided to do a food diary today to find out how much fibre I'm eating atm. I wish I still had access to the dietary analysis software at uni so I could analyse my whole diet. But as its just my mind doing it I'm just recording the amounts of fibre and kcal. Otherwise it would be too much work!!

In conclusion (If I don't eat anything else for the rest of the day) I'm right when I felt like I pretty much couldn't fit more fibre into my diet. I have had 22.52g today. My stools are probably normal rather than the ideal for me right now which would be soft.

I apologise this thread has turned into a thread about fibre rather than foods causing bloating.