• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What happens if I'm not flaring when I have colonoscopy?

Are they normally still able to see IBD-related damage when a flare is over?

I had a flare for about 2 weeks last week and the week before which included bleeding etc. but over the weekend my symptoms have calmed down hugely, BMs normalised and I have colour back in my face.

My fecal calprotectin taken BEFORE the flare started was 450 so that makes me think there is some inflammation even when I'm not actively flaring. Is that right, or do I need to wait and have the colonoscopy when I'm actively in a flare? This might be difficult as waiting lists tend to be longer than flares actually last... I haven't gone more than a couple of weeks without intestinal symptoms (mostly D) for 2 years now so I'm never very far away from having issues, they just aren't active *constantly*.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
There are changes that can be seen microscopically even if there is no outward sign of a flare. When do you have your scope scheduled for? IF you only have a week or two in between flare ups, there probably is something to see during a scope.

Also, if there is scar tissue that would be evident too.

There are changes that can be seen microscopically even if there is no outward sign of a flare. When do you have your scope scheduled for? IF you only have a week or two in between flare ups, there probably is something to see during a scope.

Also, if there is scar tissue that would be evident too.
Thanks that's helpful. I have my first appointment with the consultant tomorrow and scope hopefully soon after since when I do have symptoms they're quite bad. I'm just hopeful they can find out what it is quickly without doing too many procedures as being type 1 diabetic prep for the scope is likely to be very difficult to manage so having it once is bad enough.

This is something I wonder about, too. I'm having my first colonoscopy EVER in 8 days. My GI doc thought my gallbladder was the problem (so did my internist) but scans revealed it was normal. I'm actually praying for my symptoms to continue so whatever is causing the problem will be there during the scope so I'm not shelling out another $240 for them to tell me nothing is wrong. I've had too many tests. The last week, my symptoms have actually worsened (more pain and in more than 1 area now). I'm taking Bentyl, which worked a little bit, but now I'm getting symptoms in spite of taking it.

Anyway, you have my support! :)

This is ALWAYS my problem. The colonoscopy is like 5 weeks AFTER the flare/bleeding! And I have had 7 colonoscopies and still have "questionable Crohn's"
I feel ya.
However, I was bleeding the past two days and he's getting me in for a scope on Thursday! He wants to get a GOOD/recent view this time!!

I've been having symptoms like crazy, even today though I haven't had any solid food, which I hope means my GI sees what's going on.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Next month I will have been diagnosed for 20 years. No matter whether I am in a flare or not they can tell that I still have IBD. I believe that if you are in a flare at the time of the test it is more visible because you are inflamed. But, if you aren't in a flare they can still tell what type and where it is. Here is a similar thread posted awhile ago.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=36575

When I had a colonoscopy and I wasn't flaring he could see scaring where ever I had inflammation before. He said he could see it clearly and showed I had a lot of damage done due to the inflammation. Not sure if that's true for everyone though.