• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What has been your high point and low point with your IBD diagnosis?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
While I am sure all of us have endured the bumpy ride that IBD is, hopefully you have not gone absolutley :ybatty: yet. Why don't you share the absolute highest point and lowest points that you have experienced so far during your life with this disesae.

My low point was probably around Superbowl Sunday this year. While that may not be the exact low point, that night I was in bed for about the 2-3 time in a few weeks with quite a bit of pain and vomiting. I was just so unsure of what was going to happen and how the future would look.

My lowest point may actually have been a bit before that, when I basically had seen a doctor, nutritionist, and spoke with someone at a health food store who all suggested to eat different things to control my symptoms, and each person's thoughts were conflicting with what the others said. I was just overall very confused.

My high point probably came after my colonoscopy a few weeks ago. Then I was told that there was no signs of active disease, and that I would be put on pentasa, which had no restrictions or real side effects.

I would have to say that right now is my high point and before I met you guys was my low. I was so depressed and I thought I was going to kill myself but now besides remembering those bad days I never have a horrible thought in my head.

my low points are the aches and pains of course. my high points are the simple pleasures in life such as being able to sleep without feeling my gut and when i can make it to the gym.

Kev

Low point... Getting ill, thinking it was flu, and not going to see Dr. immediately.
Hi point... Apr 05, GI says I've minor IBD, which prob. would go away by itself...
Lowest point.. Summer 05 get much worse... too ill to work or look after my kids..
Hi point.. sept 05 Dr's operate, tell me I'm A-OK, able to resume my life in Oct...
low point... Xmas 05 ... it's back, much worse than before.. need another op..
Hi point ... Feb 06.. operation a complete success.. They say i'm totally 'cured'
Low point... End of May/06 It all comes back, faster than ever, and much worse...
Hi point... June/06 Friend tells me about Crohns Forum... I feel better already...
Low point... july/06 New GI confirms I've got either Crohns/UC, it's everywhere..
Hi point... The meds and diet new GI put me on seem to be working.. Hoooray..
Low point... for no apparent reason (other than stress) meds/diet stop working...

Hey, anyone else notice this damned disease is pretty much a roller coaster ride?

Overall, I'd have to state that this past year was the lowest point in my life, EVER!
Thanks to this disease, I've lost my health (I was robust and active up till then), I lost custody of my children (anyone know how hard it is for single dad to get that)
I lost my job (I ran the IT department for a major electronics manufacturer - taking
with it my health insurance coverage - which I can't replace for pre-existing illness)
which brings me up to today... a daily struggle to get this disease under at least a manageable or predictable state so that I can start looking for employment of some form or other... Know anyone who is looking for an old computer geek who has a very tricky health situation at the moment? Thought so, neither do I. LOL

now, anyone who is feeling sorry for me, or for themselves... DON'T!!! My last op. I was in a ward... they wheeled in a 31 yr old just diagnosed with inoperable 4th stage cancer... I consider myself, and anyone able to post on here as 'LUCKY' We
are survivors... and despite the symptoms, the scars & the trauma, we'll get thru.

J

Jenni

my high point was being off prednizone for a week! haha thats the only time i have been off it for a whole year. now im on 40 again. my lowest point was probably when i was so weak they were gonna put me on a feeding tube cuz i couldnt even get off the couch. i had lost like a ton of weight and i was extremely pale. or maybe my lowest point was pancreatitus. ugh now that was painful plus 14 days in the hosptial was insane. or 60 mgs of prednizone was no fun plus ppl laughed at me because i would hallucinate.ahh theres been alot of low points. high ones have been like wen i have been able to eat things and they didnt hurt my stomach. or going out with josh my boyfriend and not being in the bathroom all day. oo my highest point is how understanding josh is about colitis tho. he always wants wat is best for me and hes always so patient with me and hes just amazing. and just knowin hes there for me is definately a high point!!