• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What have your weight struggles been like?

After reading the post asking what everyone's weight was I got to thinking, what have your weight struggles been like throughout your life?

I've always bounced all over the place. When I was 12-13 I weighed about 125 and I was 5'5. Everyone thought I was anorexic. At 13 I got put on tons of medication and ballooned up to 180. At 16 I stopped taking my meds and dropped down to 135 in a matter of a couple months. I stayed around 130-135 for a while until I was about 19 and got up to 165. Once again I got sick and dropped all the weight again until I was 135. It was always so embarassing for me to gain and lose weight so fast because you can see the shocked looks on peoples faces. If I got heavy people would think how fat I got. When I lost weight I looked frail. I just can't win!

Before I got pregnant I was 135 and I struggled to gain weight in the first few months of my pregnancy. I was eating tons and wasn't gaining anything. My doctor just said eat more. I finally started to gain weight and then in my third trimester I starting gaining too much so they said slow down. Then I had a flare and lost weight and they said you have to eat. Sorry, but it's hard to keep any food in my system when it comes rushing out my rear two seconds after I eat. :p
At nine months I weighed 180 and a dropped down to 160 a couple months after my son was born and hovered there until recently. My son is now two and a half and I am 140. I pretty much lost that extra weight from flares that cause me too lose weight and then I don't gain it back.

When I feel better I like to do pilates and yoga because I have exercise induced asthma and its really difficult to do anything other than low impact stuff, even with my inhaler.

It's tough to lose weight on purpose. It's like my body holds onto it in case I flare up. Then when I flare I lose weight with no effort.

I've become so self conscious about my weight because of my struggles. I have pants in my closet that range from size sixteen to five. I try not to buy pants because I usually only get to wear them for a short period of time before they become too small or too large.

I'm in the stage now where I was forced to buy smaller pants a few months ago and now they are getting too big. I hope I can drop five pounds to get back to 135, but I want to do it on purpose. Not from being sick. I think I'm out of my current flare now. The last couple days have been really good. *crosses fingers* I hope this will continue so I can start doing pilates and yoga again.

So anyways, what about you guys? What is your weight struggle story?

Hmmm, I was skinny as a rake until I was 14. I have awful photos where my legs go concave between the knees and ankles - I looked emaciated and had a huge pot belly!

Then puberty hit and the pounds started to creep on. I yo-yo'd around dieting and gaining and dieting and gaining for years while I had my kids. At my largest I was wearing size 26 clothes (!), at my smallest size 8's (UK sizes). I was always a hearty eater - I loved my food - everyone used to say I was "big and bubbly"

I had settled around a curvaceous happy for me weight for a number of years around a uk 14 before I got sick with crohns , and now I am shrinking involuntarily... and fast heading towards a 10 which I know is too small for my height and build... for the first time in my life I am desperately trying to keep my calories up!

The annoying thing is that people seem to think thin = well.... They keep saying "Wow! You look amazing!".... yes, skinny jeans are amazing.... I still feel like crap though....

Lishyloo

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I was a fat kid growing up. Then the Crohn's came and I was super-thin for most of my 20s and 30s.

Quitting smoking the last year, I've put on 20 lbs, LOL. So now I'm back to being chubby.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I was always skinny as a kid. I can maintain a healthy weight without dieting and eat pretty much whatever I want...But, once I put on Prednisone weight I can't shed it unless I flare or diet....It's all lower abdominal now!!! My New Years Resolution is to loose it since I am feeling well and there is no sign of a flare coming at me....

I bet people think we all have some kind of eating disorder.
Nothing more confusing than a rail thin person with a fat face from Prednisone. :ylol2:

I was always skinny, and never was able to gain weight easily, which is why my health plummets pretty fast when I flare.
Not many reserves :)

Lowest I have been was 74 pounds which made me have to be fed intravenously for 4 months.
I would like to avoid that from happening again.

Most I have been was 117 when I was working out and doing martial arts in college.
Since I have been in remission, I am currently trying to reclaim my muscles :)

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
I was always a skinny kid (how could my folks not know I had IBD?). Then I became thin. Now I'm at a comfortable weight at 165. I'd like to move it from my gut to my arms or legs but that's happening slowly.

Last year during worst flare I hit a low of 145.

Well.. I was a small kid... and then in my younger teenage years I became the chubby little girl (160 at age 12-13). When I hit puberty I lost a little bit and was around 145, about 5'4". I always felt fat in high school (probably due to my extracurricular activity of dance/color guard). In my mid-late high school years I struggled a bit with an eating disorder (not too bad, but I'd starve myself or eat and try to throw it up occasionally). I think my senior year I was around 140 at 5'5". I was pretty stressed my senior year so I used the extra energy and pushed myself hard into dance and color guard. After I graduated I still felt bad about myself and pushed onward towards pilates. Then my Crohnsy stuff started and I started DROPPING weight.

I got down to 127 in 2 months (from 140).

After that, as I talked about in the other thread, I've bounced around between 140-160 depending on the steroid situation.

I have always been a skinny throughout my whole life.. at one point doctors wanted to put me on meds to increase my weight but mum wouldn't let them cause she had been really skinny as a kid. However unlike my mum I never really put the weight on as I got older really struggle until I moved out with my now hubby and managed to gain enough weight to put me up to 50kg (110 pounds). However with my first flare I got down to 42kg (92 pounds) which I can't say I was happy about. So I went on the shake mixes and got my weight back up to the 50kg mark. It is a struggle and now that Im having issues at the moment Im hoping I don't lose any weight again.

I was a chubby kid and teenager (not fat by any means, but at age 15 I was a size 14 - so big enough to get teased). I stopped eating for the best part of a year, lost a ton of weight, and by age 16 was struggling to fit into a size 10.

I spent the next 12 years being hungry - I didn't eat because I wanted to be slim. I convinced myself that I didn't need to eat, wasn't hungry, etc - truth was that I was obsessed by my weight/clothes size.

Got pregnant, and it was the making of me. I finally saw food as fuel, accepted the inevitable weight gain, and lost the stress of having to be thin.

Spent the first few years of my boy's life carrying 'baby weight' - didn't like it, but wasn't that bothered in all honesty. Half hearted attempts at WW, but mostly too busy being a mum and working to worry about my weight.

Got what I thought was food poisoning. Dropped 20lbs in a very short period. Result - I was back to fighting weight!.

Got the same thing 3 months later, and dropped 15lbs. Not good, now skinny/gaunt rather than slim.

Diagnosed with CD 6 years ago, and have spent the time since trying to bring my weight up to a 'normal' level. Just about achieved it - I'm still very slim, but I don't look ill now.

I was always a skinny kid - but I was always active too. And I believe I have had this disease almost my entire life. I always ate whatever I wanted, no problem. Same through high school - ate whatever I wanted (never had an eating disorder unless it was just eating too much ;) - but again - I was always active, playing racquetball and flag football in college etc. I still weighed around 115-118lbs. at 5' 4" until after I had my first kiddo. I gained up to 127 lbs while preggers with her even though I was eating like a hause. I just couldn't seem to gain weight while pregnant. Got super sick after having her (Crohn's flare undiagnosed - because you know - I only had IBS - right?) and I had walking pneumonia. Stayed really skinny through being diagnosed at 27. I have *always* been able to eat whatever I wanted to - never worried about portion sizes or anything, and never gained weight. I could eat as much as my husband, no problem! Then I was diagnosed, had surgery and went through so many rounds of pred and so naturally the weight came. Stayed on pred most of my second pregnancy and I think that is what set my new weight level for my body. I had to actually diet and do a workout routine (for the first time in my life) to get the extra 20 pounds off after having my second kid. But - after a few years the weight creeped back on. I think my main struggle at this point is to realize that my metabolism is in the tank from the pred and my age and that I just have to eat much much less food than even a normal person to maintain or lose the extra pounds. I make the excuse about packing it up for another flare - but that isn't a healthy attitude for me since this is my first flare ( and a little one at that) in five years.

I remember taking a lot of prednisone when I was a kid. I blame my weight yo-yo'ing from all the meds I had to take growing up.
It's nice not feeling alone when you have an illness that takes a toll on your appearance sometimes.
It's was always embarassing seeing people one month thin, then the next month fat, and then back to thin. I can't help but wonder what they think.

pewpewlasers said:
I can't help but wonder what they think.
They think 'eating disorder.' Especially when it's a girl/woman who is fluctuating.
Luckily, I wasn't in school when that was happening to me, so I didn't have to deal
with those kinds of pressures. but I feel for those who are. There is a lot of stigma.

I'm an oddity here, I guess, and I go by bodyfat levels and body measurements (arms, chest, waist probably being the 3 biggies) to track progression (or lost progress) on top of sheer mass (pounds)....I want to gain up to 220 lbs or so with 9 or 10% bodyfat, because, as you know, I want to add more muscle. The muscle building is the sheer antithesis of Crohn's/IBD... The mere attempt at it goes against the elements of the disease, you need to eat a lot, eat a lot of healthy protein, fiber, lots of water, and have tons of energy and dedication, and you can't be depressed and saddened, you need to stay motivated. None of that jives with IBD. I was on a good trajectory towards my goals in Semptember 2006 when diagnosed (which is now in question, it could be Ulcerative Colitis now), and I crashed and lost 40 pounds in 5 months because I couldn't work out. I didn't look thinner, really, because it was like 90% muscle, and people didn't realize what had happened other than I looked "smaller" because muscle takes up less space. None of my clothes fit (even though as a bodybuilder you have like 3 sets, one cutting, one mid range, and one bulking)...so it was frustrating.

Then I got out of that flare in spring 2007, didn't have a SINGLE symptom, I felt "cured"...I hit the gym 5 days a week and bolstered up every lagging area of my diet and hit the ground running right after Easter. By July in 2007, I'd put back 35 pounds of muscle back on (it comes back easy the second time, first time took 2 years to do that), and started trimming some fat off as well as I was training to become a cop and thought I'd had a good mid-point for the mass building. August 18th came, and this current flare commenced. In 2 short months, I lost the 50 pounds again, even on prednisone. It didn't do anything except get me a little better in early October, but then as I went through a hasty taper (GI's orders, not my own, I hadn't had experience with tapering or severe disease yet, first flare was mild but 7 months long) I got worse, and worse, and worse.

Pred got bumped up again after that failed taper, and I gained 5 pounds of face, but continued to be sick going into 2008, hitting rock bottom (30 times a day bloody diarrhea, almost no ability to hold it in) and needing hospitalization. The fact that I lost 50 pounds also scared them, even though I tried to explain that muscle and fat and water retention are all different forms of weight, etc...they wouldn't listen. Somehow nurses and some GI's aren't past the 1990 comprehension of nutrition. They all were archaically educated on sh*tty mantras and myths, and it was aggravating. One tried to blame the whole thing on me, saying it was my protein shakes and creatine that did that to me. :rolleyes:

I am normally told not to work out depending on med regimens and health condition, so it's always up and down from that. I started working out again a few months ago, but the fatigue has me doing it subpar to what should be. I've managed to put a lot of muscle back on, but it's not optimal or at a correct pace along with fat gains because the workouts are sporadic. I am now around 200 but with about 20% bodyfat. I'd say losing 20 pounds of fat and putting on 40 of muscle will have me near my goal. Have no clue how or when that will happen as my future health is anybody's guess.

Anyways, that is my Crohn's weight fluctuation story, I find it frustrating as hell. People saying "yeah but you lost 40 pounds, I wish I could do that!" when I said how I was so sick. Wankers. I would like to gain another 40 pounds of muscle still (on top of what I have) so I can be 220 with that ~10% body fat.

Seriously, the 5 pounds of cheek I get from pred is the main part of weight gain I get, as I've just become accustomed to craving control from the bodybuilding.

PS, as far as prior to disease, I was a totally skinny kid, very stickly thin, then when puberty started (it starts later for guys, and finishes later for guys) at 14 my metabolism was high, but appetite and lifestyle (nerd) were more in control. I was an artistically introverted nerd so I spent all my time with junk food and video games and my studies. Got up to about 190 of probably 30% bodyfat (guess) and was 5'10, I finished that at about 20 years old still at about 180 lbs and continued to top off at 5'11" in height as puberty finished at 20 or so years old. Hovered there until I chose to change my life (for the fairer sex) at age 20 though, so then commenced a bunch of weight loss (meaning muscle and tons of fat) via low intensity cardio (which to note, is not optimal, as high intensity with short bursts is best to prevent muscle loss) until I was 145 lbs in early 2004 and had my abs showing but with basically no mass. I didn't like it because the abs complimented no shape or anything. But I had no muscle, so I bulked like hell for a couple years, only cutting fat off for a couple months a year to mitigate fat gains (common practice in bodybuilding) as I shot for my physique's goal. Then I got sick, the rest is above. :)

Last edited:

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Actually, I want to amend things here. I was a skinny kid. Got chunky as an adolescent. Skinny again as a young adult. Now kinda paunchy as a middle-ager.

I was at "fighting weight" last year at this time though.

I was a skinny kid, but then packed on the pounds in high school after a long hospitilization....thinking back, it was similar to what i'm going through now. Abdominal pain, bleeding, etc., and was diagnosed with IBS...Internal bull s*** as i like to call it.

Anyways, once things cleared up i really packed on the pounds, and have been heavy ever since. I think that is part of why nobody is taking me seriously, and saying "you look great". Yeah, i've lost 20lbs in two months....But not in a healthy way, and i feel like crap. But i think the doc's look at me, and i don't 'look' unhealthy, so that means it's all in my head, right? And i think the only thing that's kept me from losing more than that is my switch from 12 hour nursing days to sedentary lifestyle, and that i only have D about 50% of the time.

Hubby looked at me today and said "wow, you look like crap...I've never seen you with black eyes before". I hope i look that awful when i see the doc tomorrow! LOL

tamesis said:
I was a skinny kid, but then packed on the pounds in high school after a long hospitilization....thinking back, it was similar to what i'm going through now. Abdominal pain, bleeding, etc., and was diagnosed with IBS...Internal bull s*** as i like to call it.

Anyways, once things cleared up i really packed on the pounds, and have been heavy ever since. I think that is part of why nobody is taking me seriously, and saying "you look great". Yeah, i've lost 20lbs in two months....But not in a healthy way, and i feel like crap. But i think the doc's look at me, and i don't 'look' unhealthy, so that means it's all in my head, right? And i think the only thing that's kept me from losing more than that is my switch from 12 hour nursing days to sedentary lifestyle, and that i only have D about 50% of the time.

Hubby looked at me today and said "wow, you look like crap...I've never seen you with black eyes before". I hope i look that awful when i see the doc tomorrow! LOL
Ha..ha.. Tam isn't it always the way when it comes time to see the GI you are feeling pretty good but then in between appointments you feel like crap and you just wish these were the times your GI could see you. I have found by doing a symptoms diary up each day how Im feeling etc has helped cause even if Im feeling ok when I see the doctor he can read how I have been doing and get a better understanding. Its easier to get it across to the doctor when Im looking great and not like death!! :)

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I was a big kid, big, teen, big adult. Got sick lost a whole person (95 lbs) Now I'm gaining some weight back. I used to work 70-90 hours a week for years. I'd eat when I was hungry and that was how it went. I sometimes think that because I was working so much, and eating whatever, my extra weight masked my Crohn's. I just attribute the pains to being overweight. Now I know better. Its still tough because I don't feel like eating sometimes and then other times I can't get enough. It sucks.

I think I have been around the same weight for my whole life, until I got crohns (whole life being puberty on lol) I have always been somewhere in between 110-120. usually higher in the winter and lower in the summer. But after I got diagnosed and went on pred I gained a lot fast (but since I had lost a lot before I was diagnosed it didn't matter other than it was fat not muscle lol) and now I'm like in this in between stage where I'm pretty high a bit above 120 sometimes as high as 125 (I'm only like five oneish~~) and no matter what I do
!! I walk, all over the place ( I don't drive and live downtown in the city I live in) and I have reduced the portion sizes of what I eat. I would love to work out more but it kind of hurts to like jiggle around your midsection you know? does it hurt for anyone else?
I find it annoying because everyone assumes if you have crohns you will be skinny but I really cannot seem to lose weight how I used to by just increasing my daily activity/reducing portions!!!!! anyways probably going to start some yoga classes :)

Princess Peach: It does hurt for me sometimes to even walk because the pain in my lower tummy hurts so bad. It's near impossible to try and do anything when it's like that.
Usually I get into an excersise routine when I feel good and then I get sick and can't do it anymore. It's really frustrating.

I was a little chunky but lost teh baby fat when started highschool. I was probably about 125-130 until I developed a thyroid problem and went up to 165-170. Carried that for a few years and when thyroid worked out started losing. Stayed in the 150's for awhile and then settled about 145. Stayed there until I got gallbladder problems (start of crohns diag.) and dropped to 130. Gainded back up to 145. Then slowly dropped a few lbs and now an 135. I hope to stay this weight.

Pre-diagnosis - just skinny all the time, consistently. It was malabsorption I realize now. The only time I lost weight not on purpose since being diagnosed is when I had my surgery. I got down to 109 pounds coming out of the hospital and looked like DEATH. But, that was right as I was diagnosed, so I was already pretty skinny. I've struggled with keeping weight off since being diagnosed because of all the pred. But - I try not to complain too much - for me it is a sign that they have a pretty good control on my disease for the most part.

When I was a child I was always on the bigger side, at my highest ever weight I was 163lbs, I developed anorexia at 12. After that I just got less each and every year. I went through a temporary period of stability where I was eating more and I got to the point where I looked pretty normal and healthy. It was a short while after that my Crohn's symptoms came on and I just gave up again. It was another excuse not to eat and psychologically I associated eating with pain and D. I got down to 110lbs at 5 ft 9 and I'm still about that.

Throughout my non-Crohn's related weight battles my lowest was about 89lbs. I don't think I'd want to go back there again. I've started back in counselling so I'm hoping this time it will really do some good.

It is so funny that this thread came up now. I was just watching old home movies with my family over the Holliday and it is incredible how much my weight has fluctuated over the years. My sister has looked exactly the same since she was 18 (same hair and weight), and I have looked like a different person every year thanks to my weight fluctuating so much from both my Crohns and from eating disorders that I have had.

I was an average sized kid, and a chubby pre-teen. I lost a lot of weight as a teen from the crohns, and I also developed an eating disorder (anorexia) as a copping mechanism to help me deal with my out of control life at the time. My thinnest was 72 pounds at 5’3”. That was scary, but didn’t last too long. I was up to 115 for a long time, then after high school, I was around 118 at 5’4”. I developed bulimia, and that actually made me gain weight (if you know a lot about eating disorders then you know that this is pretty common). I have had moon face off and on from steroids, and I also got it when I was bulimic so even when I didn’t look too big, I had a pretty fat face and a double chin. I was between 125 and 135 for a few years. I would lose and gain during flairs, but never went under 125.

When I was 21, I decided to start taking care of myself and haven’t had any problems with eating disorders since. My weight originally went up quite a bit (my highest weight was close to 150), but I eventually learned how to tell when I was actually hungry and I lost the weight without trying. My weight went back down to around 125 to 134 for a while, depending on how I was doing with my Crohns. The happier I got with my life, the less I needed food as an emotional tool, and my weight eventually went down to around 115 to 120 naturally. It took me some time to get used to that body because I had worked so hard not to worry about being thin, but eventually I learned to feel comfortable in my skin again.

Then I had a big flair the summer before last, and I got down to about 103. I looked and felt horrible. To me, really skinny equals sick looking both because I relate it to my anorexic high school years and because it is a symptom of Crohn’s. I worked hard to put the weight back on, but it was harder than I thought it would be. I got back up to 115 for a while, which made me feel better about myself.

Recently however, I just had another horrible flair, and I got down to about 99. I looked and felt so awful. I could hardly stand to look in the mirror. I have gotten myself back up to 103, but it has been really hard work (still much more fun than trying to take weight off I admit). I am finally feeling a lot better, and hope to be able to get back up to at least 115 by my wedding this summer. I just try hard not to judge myself to harshly any more, no matter what I weigh. It is easier said than done sometimes though, especially because other people judge you. Some people tell me I look great skinny and some people tell me I look sick. I don’t honestly know which response to my weight bothers me more.

Pewpew, I also deal with pain from walking or trying to work out when I am in a flair, and I also deal with the jeans size issue. Both are very frustrating. I used to wear my jeans really baggy so that I wouldn’t have to go down a size, but whatever size you are, you always look better if your clothes actually fit (duh), so now I just have a range of sizes to choose from.

Sorry that this has been so long, this has just been such a big issue for me. The weight issue has been really emotionally draining my whole life. I think that Crohns has had a very strange effect on how I have viewed both food and my body over the years. In a way, it is kind of nice to know that other people go through this too.

vshirey317 said:
Is there anyone here who *didn't* lose weight with Crohn's? I never have.
I haven't. Sometimes I wish I would, but such is life. :) I'll keep the little bit of weight if it means being even THAT much healthier.

I wish I could put on just a little bit. Pre-Crohn's I usually sat around 54kg/119 pounds. In july when I got really sick I went down to 48kg/105.6 punds. I managed to put on a bit with the initial steroids and get back to about 53kg/117 but have now slipped back to 51 kg/112 pounds. It doesn;t sound like huge amounts but it is when you are small! I worry about getting another flare and becoming a skeleton!!!

I was a skinny kid then I started becoming chubby around the age of 9 and ended being the "fat kid" in elementary school in 4th through 6th grade. Puberty hit and I slimmed down as I put on some height and was active in sports. In my late teens and early 20's I put on a bunch of weight due to stress and poor eating habits. Long story short, I was 230 pounds before I got sick, at my lowest which only happened recently I dropped to 148. I've managed to put on about 10 pounds in the last couple weeks though.

Always been average for my height.

I am 5'8''-

At my heaviest I have weighed about 175 +/- 1 or 2 pounds
On Average I run about 165
Currently I am 150

When I first got sick in high school I was down to 123.

Right now, my weight seems to take care of itself, some of it is attributed to my more healthy diet I am guessing. As long as i avoid high sugar, high carb foods, I can eat as much as I want, without changing my 200 lb weight.

When I got overweight (230 lbs) was when i started to have Crohn's problems. Possibly this is and indicator of an unhealthy bacterial presence in my guts. I certainly was not eating that healthy at that time.

Of course when the Stricture closed up I wasted away fast. I was down to 160 lbs and losing. I could not even sit on a hard chair as I had nothing on my ass to cushion my bones.

I am going to stay around 200 lbs. It seems to be a healthy weight for myself.

Dan

weight fluctuations all my life... average sized kid until right before puberty.. was chubby ages 9-11 (though still pretty average)... then reached puberty, lost weight without trying... got pretty small, 109 pounds... family was worried about me (first i was too chubby then i was too skinny).... remained between 115-125 for most of my teen years but then the last year of school (and during my first serious relationship) gained 10-15 pounds... so i stayed at 135-140 for most of my college years up to early 20's...

then at 22 years, began to notice physical changes like severe lower back pain and stomach discomfort... this was around the time my blood work changed and i now realize that was when crohn's set in... HOWEVER, due to a pregnancy (which i didn't carry through) and other issues, i gained a lot of weight (possibly due to crohn's as well, cuz of not digesting food properly and other stuff)... got up to 178... then i started to diet and exercise exessively, dropped the pounds VERY fast, (possibly crohn's contribution as well)... got down to 118... stayed between 118-128 for a few years... fluctuated again, when other crohn's symptoms were getting worse, flare ups and joint inflammation made me quit exercising (all pre-diagnosis)...

gained again during serious relationship (gotta love eating out a lot with the boyfriends and gaining while on birth control lol)... stayed around 150-160.... went up to 165-170... in around 2007... then lost it by 2008... was down to 128 (rapidly got there)... was happy at this weight... skin was glowing... wouldn't have minded being 120 pounds... was on my way there... thought it was great i had no appetite, and finally was controlling the binge eating, exercising regularly and was very happy (little did i know it was crohn's),, i did have lots of flare ups but didn't realize it wasn't bad gas lol

got my worst flare up ever.... went to emerg...turned out it was Crohn's.... finally got my diagnosis in early 2009... maintained my weight for a bit.... stopped exercising and over ate while on pred...

weight began to slowly climb.... then quickly climb.

i still haven't gotten into a proper exercise routine again... got depressed with all the health stuff and weight issues.... now i'm at the highest weight i've ever been
(185-187)... i have such low self esteem about the weight stuff.

i'm going to try to get on track again... cuz i really wanna quit imuran, i've stopped taking it days at a time cuz it messes up my skin in a major way... i'm on Remicade... i believe if i eat better and work out, i will be able to prevent flare ups.

i am an emotional eater though. but i'm sick of it... need to get control over this once and for all!

Last edited:
I lose weight when I am in flare but gain it back when I am on the pred, my body is covered in stretch marks from ballooning weight, I am not small to begin with so I normally balloon from around 75kgs to 110kgs, I feel my best when I am at around 85kgs, due to this I think a lot of people are surprised when I say I have Crohn's.

I gained a heap of weight after my resection last May, despite good diet and exercise and now I am too sick to exercise

I was always skinny. I had to work to gain weight but I was pretty active and able.

When I got sick I went from 6'1" 165lbs down to 130lbs. It was pretty scary. Three months after surgery and I am back up to 165 and will climb past that soon. I don't know if it is due to working out almost every day on a home gym and being more health conscious or if my guts are working better. Maybe both?

danika said:
I lose weight when I am in flare but gain it back when I am on the pred, my body is covered in stretch marks from ballooning weight, I am not small to begin with so I normally balloon from around 75kgs to 110kgs, I feel my best when I am at around 85kgs, due to this I think a lot of people are surprised when I say I have Crohn's.

I gained a heap of weight after my resection last May, despite good diet and exercise and now I am too sick to exercise
This is exactly what happened to me. I have no idea why or what was going on, but I packed on 40 pounds in 2 months after my resection. WHAT?!?! I spoke my concerns with a couple different doctors because I wasn't eating anything bad for me at that time, and I was up and moving and such but still gaining weight. The only answer I got was my GI guessing saying that I was sick for so long that after the resection I was basically 'healthy' so my body was greedy and grabbing and holding on to everything it could. <shrug> He just guessed too, so no idea.

weight gain

I have always been average until I was diagnosed with Crohns- then I was on the evil Prednisone and gained a ton. It always seems that I can lose about 1/2 of what I gain when on steroids. So each years I have packed on more and more and lost less and less. After my most recent hospital stay when I lost 10 pounds I am at 280 lbs. Does anyone else have a weight gain problem?

:( This time last year I was just under 9 stone (122 pounds) and now I am 11 stone (154 pounds) I have NEVER weighed more than 9 stone in my life until now.

I'm now on a low residue diet so I hope this helps with some weight loss. I just wish exercising wasn't so painful as I miss my running :(

Its like, cheers body for failing to work in the first place and double cheers for storing fat so well. Grrrr!! :voodoo:

I have put on about 12 pounds since Christmas because of the Prednisone. Sick of the the see food eat it diet.

On the Pred I often feel full but still want food! Hate the feeling.

I am really struggling with my weight right now. When I was on the Pred I finally got up to 113 and since I've been sicker than can be I'm back down to 100lbs. Although when I went to my GI and my family doc last week they both weighed me at 103lbs and 104lbs, so maybe I'm starting to gain some back!!! If I would stay on myself with the Ensure's maybe it would be easier to gain some back, but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting them down lately. Maybe I'll go grab one outa the fridge right now :) I hate looking like a crack head all the time, I need to put some weight back on!!

CrohnsHobo said:
I have put on about 12 pounds since Christmas because of the Prednisone. Sick of the the see food eat it diet.

On the Pred I often feel full but still want food! Hate the feeling.
How does it even do that...?! I would eat a full meal, with dessert (scoff,scoff) and still be hungry for snacks afterwards.

I did give it a name tho.. I'd tell everyone "I have a feast coming on" or I'd be feeling "feasty" :ybatty:

I gained 25 lbs in the last 2 months (seroquel and remeron, bipolar meds) and my GI was very happy. Before that I was at 140 and I'm 6ft 1, and he was talking about admitting me and doing a feeding tube. Lately I've been doing the meal replacement drinks with food if I can tolerate it.

I'm sure being back on pred will help me keep the weight on, it's what normally happens. Unfortunately I get some serious mental side effects on it. But with what's going on with my body right now I guess I need it.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Binxybop said:
How does it even do that...?! I would eat a full meal, with dessert (scoff,scoff) and still be hungry for snacks afterwards.

I did give it a name tho.. I'd tell everyone "I have a feast coming on" or I'd be feeling "feasty" :ybatty:
That's cute......I find when I am on Pred. I know where every morsel of food is in the house. And they call my name, and taunt me....."you know you want to eat me".....then I eat it and I am thinking about what i can eat next.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ha I am like that too... but I have lost 23 lbs and I intend to lose more ... God willing!

Hey where is Pewpewlasers??? I havent seen her in dogs ages?????

Anyone know??

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Funny she practically lived on here and nothing for quite some time. Hopefully she has bounced back to being better!