• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is Humira made out of?

I have just done my loading dose of Humira and have been doing a lot of research about it... I feel very hopeful about it! This post is more from a curiosity standpoint: I read that Humira is a human DNA-based biologic— what human? This may be such a dumb question, but does anyone know the process of where (or who) the medicine comes from? Very confused, hopefully I don’t sound like too much of a nitwit. :)

Lynda Lynda

My Humira Nurse Ambassador was just at my apartment yesterday. She and my doctor are assisting me in applying for money from a foundation to pay for my Humira. I start Humira injections soon. She was helpful in explaining the basics. She will help me with my first injections ( that is if my health insurance company approves the drug for me. ) Having a good doctor plus the Humira lady has put me more at ease about this whole process. Now I have to supply information to the foundation for them to look at to see if they approve me for free Humira ( based on income, etc. I receive SSD benefits. )

Active ingredient: adalimumab.

Under "Support Groups" is a Humira Support Group. But someone more knowledgable will come along here. Lots of smart folks here. I am new to Humira. 🙂

Sending you my support 🌻
Lynda

Scipio

I have just done my loading dose of Humira and have been doing a lot of research about it... I feel very hopeful about it! This post is more from a curiosity standpoint: I read that Humira is a human DNA-based biologic— what human? This may be such a dumb question, but does anyone know the process of where (or who) the medicine comes from? Very confused, hopefully I don’t sound like too much of a nitwit. :)
Humira is a human antibody (protein) that binds with human TNF, inactivating the TNF and hence partially dampening the immune system.

This antibody was produced by what is called a "phage display" - a very high tech biotechnology method where, in this case, the human DNA that codes for the antibody protein and a lot of other proteins was inserted into the DNA of a type of virus called a bacteriophage. This enabled several selection steps that allowed the gene to be identified and isolated for further use.

Once identified the DNA was used to infect bacteria, which in turn were "tricked" to make copious amounts of the ant-TNF proteins which could assembled then be purified into useable drug.

This is a very simplified description of some very clever, highly complex, very cool biotechnology. So don't feel like a "nitwit" for not immediately understanding it.

Humira is a human antibody (protein) that binds with human TNF, inactivating the TNF and hence partially dampening the immune system.

This antibody was produced by what is called a "phage display" - a very high tech biotechnology method where, in this case, the human DNA that codes for the antibody protein and a lot of other proteins was inserted into the DNA of a type of virus called a bacteriophage. This enabled several selection steps that allowed the gene to be identified and isolated for further use.

Once identified the DNA was used to infect bacteria, which in turn were "tricked" to make copious amounts of the ant-TNF proteins which could assembled then be purified into useable drug.

This is a very simplified description of some very clever, highly complex, very cool biotechnology. So don't feel like a "nitwit" for not immediately understanding it.
Thank you!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Maya142

Staff member
Here is some more info on how they make it:

Adalimumab is a recombinant human monoclonal antibody expressed in Chinese Hamster Ovary cells. Adalimumab binds specifically to TNF and neutralizes the biological function of TNF by blocking its interaction with the p55 and p75 cell surface TNF receptors.