• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is magnesium sulfate and where do I find it?

What is magnesium citrate and where do I find it?

Is this a drug-store purchase?

My first colonoscopy is Thursday. I have directions for a liquid diet on Wed, not to mention Dulcolax and magnesium citrate.
Ironically, in parentheses next to the Dulcolax, a nationally advertised laxative, it says I can get this at the local drug store. But there isn't anything about the magnesium citrate.

What on earth is this stuff??

Last edited:
Magnesium Citrate is a laxative. Before my colonoscopy I was given a prescription for it. It was a liquid, and I was supposed to drink a LOT of water with it.

If I remember correctly, after I started vomiting the pills for my prep my GI told me to go buy some of this stuff... it looked like
although it apparently also comes in a green bottle. Don't know what it would look like near you but maybe it's the same? It didn't taste that bad, although maybe that's just how I felt after drinking gallons of Gatorade.

Did your doctor give you specific instructions in how to use it? This is only the "oral solution."

Also you wrote magnesium sulfate somewhere, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. There's a big difference, so make sure you get the right one!

I get the lemon kind because you can't have red colored. I chase mine with 7-up and water, not to bad tasting but the chaser helps! Good luck! should be with the diet and other stomach products.

Thanks guys. I assumed it was a laxative of some kind (being part of my prep and all) but I had no idea what I was looking for.
Of course, I could go up to my local druggist and just ask, but this is a really small town. He knows me. He knows my children. We've eaten supper with he and his partner a few times...
There are just people you don't want knowing the intimate details of your innards, KWIM? Even if he IS a pharmacist!

diesanduhr--Re: sulfate/citrate, yeah...check my edit note at the bottom of my original post. lol