• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is Prednisone

what is Prednisone

Hey guys my doctor just put me on prednisone 10 mg. I take 4 tablets once a day for 7 days. I know that prednisone is a steroid but how come im on steroids. also what are the side effects of it

Steroids reduce inflammation so it should help to ease the inflammation in your intestines. Side effects vary but could include weight gain, puffy face, acne, and anxiety.

you may also be a little hyper on it at some stages.

good fopr getting lots of house work done quickly:)

if you end up being longer on it for some reason, take some calcium supplements. pred takes it away from your bones and can cause a problem if that goes on for a long time.

also you can have seriously weird mood swings. jed mentioned hyperness, i also get sad (crying for hours for no reason bah!), or crazy angry at small things.
if you start freaking out and dont know whats wrong just try and take a breath and realize its the pred that messes with your mind a little.

hope it makes you feel better though!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
bradraz said:
Hey guys my doctor just put me on prednisone 10 mg. I take 4 tablets once a day for 7 days. I know that prednisone is a steroid but how come im on steroids. also what are the side effects of it
This means that you are on 40 mgs a day right? Or is it only 10?
40 is usually the standard dose to start. Some of us have started at 60, but I am usually started at 40.
I just wanted to say be careful. You stated that you were on it for 7 days, but you need to wean off the prednisone slowly. If you are on 40 mg right now, your next step would probably be 35 mg, then 30 the following week, etc. Stopping abruptly can cause adrenal gland problems. Your doc will probably explain how to taper, but if he/she doesn't - be sure to ask about it. Then again - if you are only on 10 mg, it probably doesn't matter as much.
Side effects are different for everyone. I get more energy, and I love being on pred - but it's not the same for everyone.
Good luck!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Do a search on this forum and you'll learn a lot about prednisone. It's the "wonder drug" that boosts your adrenaline and helps reduce inflammation. That's the good part. The bad part is the side effects - bloating, acne, insomnia, driving your girlfriend, wife, husband or boyfriend nuts, driving yourself bonkers with the unusual energy you have, potential bone loss, etc. What MBH says is true - you need to wean off slowly.

Yeah the prednisone didnt help me out too muc - i think it increased my appaetite a bit but i still have discomfort on my right side - i guess it helped a bit with the nausea too - however yeah the adrenaline thing is a little high and bothersome - feel a bit on edge sometimes, hopefully it works for you and make sure u ween off it