• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is this?

I was diagnosed with crohns around Christmas, and since the problems started I've had a bad burning and heavy feeling on my anus and entire lower region ONLY after going to the bathroom.

Thankfully I only use the bathroom once right now, so that is under control, but what's keeping me from being 100% well is this damn pain in the ass.

I saw my GI a couple months ago they did a cat scan and it wasn't a fistula or deep abscess, she called it a skin abscess.

Now it's starting to smell terrible all day, but I only know it's there after a bowel movement. It is very frustrating that it won't go away, and is only there after a bowel movement, other than that I am fine other times

Hi kronic and welcome. Sounds very annoying. Can you see any sort of lump or hole in the area and does it look inflamed? When they said it was a skin abscess, did they prescribe any treatment for it?

Hi kronic and welcome. Sounds very annoying. Can you see any sort of lump or hole in the area and does it look inflamed? When they said it was a skin abscess, did they prescribe any treatment for it?
Thanks for the welcome.

I see something like a bump a couple inches from my anus, but it's my anus that hurts after a bowel movement for what seems like 4-5 hours.

I am guessing it could be a fissure AND an abscess

What sucks is that I am relatively fine the entire day, and then when I use the bathroom I turn in to a different person for the entire 5 hours from all the pain.

They didn't prescribe anything and told me to see a rectal surgeon, which i have not done.

I have had the same experience - mine was due to a combination of fissures and a stricture. Likewise, it would take a period of several hours to dissipate. Problem was 8-10 bowel movements a day, meaning I was always in pain. One product that helped for me was proctofoam, and I am taking remicade as well. Nothing else worked.

I have had the same experience - mine was due to a combination of fissures and a stricture. Likewise, it would take a period of several hours to dissipate. Problem was 8-10 bowel movements a day, meaning I was always in pain. One product that helped for me was proctofoam, and I am taking remicade as well. Nothing else worked.
I will try proctofoam. I used to go upwards of 10 times a day as well, and that's when this problem started. With steroids it was lowered to once a day and with asacol 3 times a day with 2 pills it has been stabilized at 1 time a day most of the time.

I am sorry that you are going through this. Hope it gets better soon. Are you going to see a colo-rectal surgeon? I find that my cr surgeon is more knowledgeable than my GI. My GI wont see me at all for abscess /fistula stuff they send me to him.

The only medicine I am on atm is asacol, and I am thinking it's the asacol causing this as I've heard stories of anal pain and prolapse from asacol. It seems like EVERY time I miss a dose and I don't even remember that I did is that my anus doesn't really hurt anymore.