• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What not to say...and what to say instead!

Well, I have to share this. I realized that I absolutely hate this phrase:
"It could be worse"
Sure, it could be worse, it could be much much worse. But I realize that in saying that it could be worse to a person that isn't feeling well, we negate the fact that for them, it is worse right now!
I say that darn phrase all the time. But I caught myself saying it and feeling like it was sand in my mouth. Decided to say this instead:
"It ain't good, but it'll get better"
This makes me feel like I'm allowed to be unwell and I have hope. Told the boyfriend about this and he agreed to use it more often.
Hopefully it can help some of you out there!

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Mellybean
What a good idea
We convey so much in a few words to others and to ourselves
Your expression is so much more posititive in outlook.

That's great!! I hear all the time "It's Crohns....it could be worse"!
Well I hope to God it doesn't. I have been through hell and back and then back to hell again...haha. Many who don't know this disease have no idea how bad and seriously ill one can get.
Hearing this would be much better.

That's great!! I hear all the time "It's Crohns....it could be worse"!
Well I hope to God it doesn't. I have been through hell and back and then back to hell again...haha. Many who don't know this disease have no idea how bad and seriously ill one can get.
Hearing this would be much better.
You got that right.