• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What should I choose, Pred, Humira....

Well its time for me to step up to the big time, nothing works anymore, mmj did nothing for me...I cannot go on like this anymore, pain/bleeding/misery, do not even want to leave the house anymore.

So my biggest beef with Humira is it seems everyone get some king of respiratory side effect - that is something I cannot deal with as a sever sleep apnea sufferer I cannot function without CPAP and I cannot do CPAP with congestion. So is Pred my only choice? (Doc told me Pred or Humira can I suggest something else).

My fear is trading miseries, I want to feel good - am I asking too much?

My Mother was diagnosed with Crohn's 10 years ago, multiple surgeries later...we FINALLY talked her into Humira, She like you was very afraid but she is a "smoker". It has been fabulous for her. A true life saver, Predisone was no longer a choice as after high doses it did no good and had some BAD side effects.
Talk to your Doc., Get a TB test all doses are pretty standard 2 shots a month, which you do at home and my mother is now 74 not completely in remission but back to her healthy weight and can live a normal life.

theOcean

I've never had any respiratory issues, or really seen any reported on here. It's been a huge help to me, and my GI said that it's more likely that with Humira that it'll either work or it won't, rather than getting bad reactions to it.

I know I would definitely choose Humira over long-term Prednisone. Maybe you could do a short-course of it while waiting to start Humira?